Sega Getting Bought out?

racketboy

Established Member
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030228/.../D7PFL7P00.html

Microsoft or EA are interested.....

Please say it ain't so!!!!
unsure.gif

I could cry if one of those two got them.

I'm not sure which would be worse though

If either were to buy them, I'd have to say Microsoft. EA has always hated Sega. Not that I want either to happen.

Originally posted by IUG@Feb 28, 2003 @ 04:25 PM

If either were to buy them, I'd have to say Microsoft. EA has always hated Sega. Not that I want either to happen.

But if they can make more money, they would do it

and they could do whatever with Sega's properties

If MS was smart they'd spend big bucks on the Sega.

That alone could really push the XBox.

Then the XBox would pretty much become the DC2 (except for the shape & color
tongue.gif
)

I might accept Microsoft buying Sega.. BUT NOT 'EA'.. ANYTHING BUT 'EA.

I HAVE HATED 'EA' SINCE THEY SCREWED SATURN OWNERS WITH CRAP GAMES LIKE FIFA SOCCER 96, 97 and 98. ANYTHING 'EA' MAKE NOWADAYS IS UTTER SHITE.. JUST LOOK AT C&C GENERALS.. PATHETIC...

IT WOULD BE IN SEGA'S BEST INTEREST IF THEY WERE BOUGHT BY M$, NOT EA.

CAP'S LOCK MAN .. OUT.

EA isn't all bad. They've done some great stuff in the past. Many of my favorite Genesis games are EA. And their NHL games are top notch (though I haven't tried 2003). I've seen them slip in recent years, but that seems to happen to just about any company that gets too big. I haven't tried C&C Generals, but I must say I'm not at all impressed. I have no desire to pick it up and I'm a huge fan of Red Alert 2 and the other C&C games (sans Renegade and Tiberian Sun). I don't think I'd like to see them buy Sega, that's for sure. I really wouldn't mind if MS did, to be honest. I'm sure we'd see a surge of Sega games released only for the XBox, making my choice for which console to buy next a no-brainer. But, then again MS has been known to screw up good companies in the past. I can't remember the name of the hardware/controller mfger that I'm thinking of though.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Feb 28, 2003 @ 06:17 PM

EA isn't all bad. They've done some great stuff in the past. Many of my favorite Genesis games are EA. And their NHL games are top notch (though I haven't tried 2003). I've seen them slip in recent years, but that seems to happen to just about any company that gets too big. I haven't tried C&C Generals, but I must say I'm not at all impressed. I have no desire to pick it up and I'm a huge fan of Red Alert 2 and the other C&C games (sans Renegade and Tiberian Sun). I don't think I'd like to see them buy Sega, that's for sure. I really wouldn't mind if MS did, to be honest. I'm sure we'd see a surge of Sega games released only for the XBox, making my choice for which console to buy next a no-brainer. But, then again MS has been known to screw up good companies in the past. I can't remember the name of the hardware/controller mfger that I'm thinking of though.

well hopfully if MS does buy Sega, they'll let them run as usual except produce only for XBox and moble systems.

Look at Bungie -- they don't look like they're messed up yet.

I think since MS isn't experienced much at games, they'll let the experts do their thing

Originally posted by Jaded God@Feb 28, 2003 @ 08:42 PM

No, I don't want Sega to be bought by money hungry M$...
sad.gif

EA's money hungry too --- it's called business

they aren't just making games for the fun of it.

Like many of the people on the ars post said, EA has a better chance of turning games to crap than MS.

At least MS has a powerful console that Sega can use well instead of making bad ports to weaker (PS2) systems.

Up to now, I was seriously thinking about getting a GC for my next system, but if MS buys Sega, an XBox may be in my future -- esp if the make it smaller and cooler looking.

This is why I never buy a console in the first couple years its around -- there's too many uncertainties

Originally posted by racketboy+Feb 28, 2003 @ 08:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Feb 28, 2003 @ 08:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jaded God@Feb 28, 2003 @ 08:42 PM

No, I don't want Sega to be bought by money hungry M$...
sad.gif

EA's money hungry too --- it's called business

they aren't just making games for the fun of it.

Like many of the people on the ars post said, EA has a better chance of turning games to crap than MS.

At least MS has a powerful console that Sega can use well instead of making bad ports to weaker (PS2) systems.

Up to now, I was seriously thinking about getting a GC for my next system, but if MS buys Sega, an XBox may be in my future -- esp if the make it smaller and cooler looking.

This is why I never buy a console in the first couple years its around -- there's too many uncertainties [/b][/quote]

Racketboy I didn't mean I want EA to buy them either... I don't want anyone to buy them.. Just as Daniel said. But definatly not MS for me
blink.gif

Again, this [thread] makes me wonder why people hate Microsoft. I surely wouldn't mind if they bought out SEGA, it's legal business, and SEGA can always use the money.

About EA, can someone tell me why they severed ties with sega? Also, what happened to Orgin's Wing Commander games?

Well I would like Sega to stay indie too but, if that means they lose money and go out of business, I would rather hav MS buy them and let them thrive

if ne1 was gonna buy SEGA id put my money on MS - i think they are on friendliest terms with each other

but i think it would be better if SEGA stayed the way it is - it has the strength to rebuild --- but if they are hungry enough for a quicker way to the top - i wouldnt be suprised if they are shaking thier fanny right now - which i dont think is a great idea (if the result limits thier market)

every company - every store - every buisness - is money hungry - some are just better at making it than others - alost every company is as guilty as MS for one reason or another

those guys that made wing commander are releaseing freelancer soon - looks like it will be awsome - as for wing commander they may fell the movie hurt the name (i liked it for what it was - but not how they changed the plot a bit)

EA appears to have killed off all of Origins properties. The only thing they are holding onto is Ultima Online. The even killed Ultima Online 2. Such a waste. Origin had so many great games.

I'd rather see Sega under any banner, than not see Sega at all. That said, a MS/Sega partnership would be more logical - MS provides the hardware, Sega provides the killer apps.

I can't see what EA has to offer Sega, or Sega to offer EA. It's not like Sega is a successful brandname...

Back