Sega Getting Bought out?

The only thing EA would have to gain, is shutting down Sega sports. Even though I despise everything there is about MS, they know how to run a company. And if Sega HAD to be part of one, I would prefer it going their way. MS seems to be letting Bungie do their thing. I had the same opinion when rumors were going on about Havas Interactive being sold. I told a friend I would much rather see Blizzard a part of MS than of Sony or EA.

the dude that created the wing commander series is still alive
smile.gif
the game he promised back when they made privateer 2 -will be comming out soon under microsoft label game is called freelancer -- all of those games made by him i consider a part of wing commander - even if its a different plot but i know the same enjoyment will be there

Thanks for the info, googlefest. i downloaded and played the demo right after you told me about it, and it was pretty fun.

Still, it's gonna take a little bit for me to get back into space sims, but I think this might be the game to help me do it.

Back to the topic, I think everyone can see how EA tends to take developers "popular' games and kill off their other franchises. I'm certain I would see the death of Sega Sports if Sega were bought out by EA, and i would guess that instead of having a combination effort with visual concepts and blue shift, EA Sports would slack with their game design and rehash it's sports games, due to lack of competion. EH, that's my guess of what would happen anyway.

Man that post must have taken some time. Great collection of MS bashing links. I have a basic, non-flaming queastion for you. When gaming, if gaming, what os do you use? You do pretty much anything from linux. However, must computer games are not supported under it.

I would rather have Microsoft buy Sega. They would let them stay as "Sega", but EA would make them EA, losing everything that is them. I mean, just look at Bungie, they are still Bungie, and not Microsoft Games Department.

Man, Microsoft, buying my favorite Mac publisher, and now possiabley buying my favorite console maker... :devil

Eh... I don't really have much of an opinion on this. I'd have to go with MS though. They would'nt kill off Sega Sports. If it WERE gonna happen, I bet that we'd see a majority of Sega games on XBox. Perhaps VF wouldn't be scarred then, due to it being off that POS2, same with the Phantasy Star remakes. I don't have a problem with MS (although I despise Windows in every shape and form), I enjoy MS Word, and other apps. I'm just glad my friend gave me a new Mac yesterday
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
:cheers

Man that post must have taken some time.

I was bored.

I have a basic, non-flaming queastion for you. When gaming, if gaming, what os do you use? You do pretty much anything from linux. However, must computer games are not supported under it.

When I want to play games, I usually use my consoles, or xmame on Gentoo. I won't dispute that PC game fans don't have much of a choice in the OS department, though some work is happening to change that. I don't have as much of a problem with Microsoft's actual products as some people do, and used XP until I recently had a problem that made the Recovery Console unbootable (seriously) and couldn't find my disc/key to do a reinstall. Now that I'm back on Gentoo, reinstalling XP isn't really on my to-do list. I'm thinking about going dual-boot for multiplayer Diablo II (if only because my brother plays).

I would rather have Microsoft buy Sega. They would let them stay as "Sega", but EA would make them EA, losing everything that is them. I mean, just look at Bungie, they are still Bungie, and not Microsoft Games Department.

That's Microsoft Game Studios, and they already have Shenmue II under their banner, though they do occasionally mention that Sega is the actual developer on the Shenmue II website. Bungie and Rare do get to keep their own identity and websites in addition to being part of MS Game Studios.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mar 1, 2003 @ 03:21 AM

Again, this [thread] makes me wonder why people hate Microsoft. I surely wouldn't mind if they bought out SEGA, it's legal business, and SEGA can always use the money.

If you don't know why people hate Microsoft, you haven't been paying attention.

MAN that company is in the spotlight and media is on the lookout for anything dirty -- every big company did not become big by being Mrs. betty crocker, they did it by giveing her a tripple gangbang, by turning her into a dvda whore -- you dont think most companies (even the small ones) are on the lookout for anytihg they can do to increase profits - semi legal - gray - off white - semi ethical - loose - half blind methods? --- show me a steadly expanding company whose methods are angelic

you see all this crap about MS cause they are in the spotlight - because smaller companies are trying climb on thier back and make a buck too and MS shakes them off, so they layout thorns in MS' path

-- capitalisim at its finest

MS is being stuipd with some of thier tactics but i dont see them as being a special case - there is too many like them to say they are special

we just dont see what the rest are doing

linux would do the same as MS if they had the chance - but right now they are trying to look like the good guy - and thats how they are making thier money

Originally posted by googlefest1@Mar 2, 2003 @ 01:05 AM

you dont think most companies (even the small ones) are on the lookout for anytihg they can do to increase profits

That doesn't make it any more acceptable.

linux would do the same as MS if they had the chance - but right now they are trying to look like the good guy - and thats how they are making thier money

Who is this linux you're referring to?

who ever the frell is the company whose software i rarely use -- the red hat guys i think - the ones i always hear praises about ( not saying thier product is bad )

yes it dosent make it acceptable but people are acting like MS is the only not squeaky clean company out there - and hateing them only

sega is not squeaky clean either ( oh, no , my , not sega)

does not say much either - i gues this will be the newest buzz going around in the game world - one thing i forgot (if i heared or read somewhere ) -- did EA or MS deny any of this?

Originally posted by schi0249@Mar 2, 2003 @ 01:04 AM

Has anyone posted this link yet? It sounds as if EA could, at the very least, get some pull with Sega.

At least it only mentions "merger" with EA, not "buy out" the whole company

Yeah. But wasn't Origin a merger? I'm not positive about that, but we all saw how that one turned out. And a 23% share is pretty significant.

dudes. something for you to ponder...

microsoft gave us windows. EA gave us road rash.

just think about it.

Originally posted by aaron@Mar 2, 2003 @ 08:38 AM

EA gave us road rash.

No, EOA gave us Road Rash and lots of classics. EA has given us.. hmm.. NHL'93-2003.

Back