Sega/Visual Concepts make ESPN Football 2k5 CHEAP!

Man... you beat me to it!

Also do note though, that the price is UNconfirmed.

Although I hope it's true....

This doesn't make sense. Why cut the price when you are an independent publisher?

If this was for a Sega console, and Sega was trying to sell units, then yes this makes sense. I guess it's an attempt to gain brand loyalty, but I don't know how well it will work.

My guess is that they want to gain some market share in the sports area. If they can convert a bunch of Madden fans, they can up the price back up when they get them hooked.

If this IS true (Hopefully it is), here's my guess as to what'll happen.

If it sells even DOUBLE of what it has sold in the past (in other word, about 500,00 units), that on next years release, they may raise the price another $5 - $10. Thay may seem kinda "eh" on Sega's part, but they are obviously trying to attract new buyers, and Maddenites to buy the game. I've seen SEVERAL Maddenites say they'll buy the game, if it's only at $20.

And then, there are those who swear by Madden until the end.

I remember seeing a post at Utopia Football, that the guy said something like this "IF I want arcade like gameplay, I'll buy 2K. I'll buy Madden if I want action that's as close to the real thing."

Uh... yeah.... I believe it's the other way around there....

It will be interesting as to how EA responds to this. Will Madden's name value be enough to make people believe it's a better buy. In general, I think ESPN will outsell Madden if only because of price, but Madden will still do good numbers. Product loyalty is usually strong for long running game editions.

I always buy the 2K series. I haven't bought a Madden game since 2000. This will be awesome if they go that route. They will definatly increase their market share.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 10, 2004 @ 05:26 PM

My guess is that they want to gain some market share in the sports area. If they can convert a bunch of Madden fans, they can up the price back up when they get them hooked.

Are you likening 2k5 to crack cocaine??

hehe -- not exactly-- but it's a historical fact that sports game are usually rebought by the gaming public year after year. And I assume, there is some brand loyalty.

I was just checking out a forum, and 2K5 is currently the top pre-ordered 'Box game. It's third on the PS2 pre-order charts.

:D :D :D

Back