Sega's plans for the year

Myname

Established Member

Here Sega claim to be releasing 42 PS2 games next year compared with not even that for the Xbox and Gamecube put together. Interesting..

(Why are my avatar and signature busted again? Jesus..)

I bet a large number of those are DC ports of more popular games. With such a huge installment base for the PS2, It'd probably make sense to release these games at a somewhat lower cost.

I'm simply assuming, as they don't make mention of what kind of titles they will be. But time will tell.

To me there's no XBox vs. PS2 vs. GC debate. There is no Sega system, so anything and everything is up for grabs.

Although, has anyone noticed the graininess of the PS2? Or is that just me?

Originally posted by Myname@June 27 2002,18:54

Here Sega claim to be releasing 42 PS2 games next year compared with not even that for the Xbox and Gamecube put together. Interesting..

(Why are my avatar and signature busted again? Jesus..)

good point and its basically what ive been saying all along...PS2 is the market leader and its in Segas best interests to support it...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by MTXBlau@June 28 2002,02:29

To me there's no XBox vs. PS2 vs. GC debate.

Me neither, but you want to read Ratamatatta's Xbox thread.

Originally posted by Myname+June 27 2002,22:57--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ June 27 2002,22:57)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau@June 28 2002,02:29

To me there's no XBox vs. PS2 vs. GC debate.

Me neither, but you want to read Ratamatatta's Xbox thread.[/b][/quote]

obviously there is if you had to go and make another thread about it...
biggrin.gif

Actually this thread is about Sega, I just assumed people would pass judgment on PS2 and Xbox because of it.. Like you have proved.

Exactly, I really dont care what systems sega supports since they are all quite capable of performing well.. although i would like ps2, only because i do not want to shell out 2-300 bucks for another electronic box.

And why the hell are games all so expensive? what happened to the sweet old 49.99CAN price tag? jeez, i will have to cash in l;ife insurance to buy panzer.... ugh!!

i think if they do a toejam and earl remake they should have red hot chili peppers do the music for some of it. (just listen to around the world it shares the same funk feel almost the same base part)

I still have a good feeling about sega making a major comeback sooner or later, after they have made their way back into profitability. I do believe that they will make another console in the future. So it is in their best interest to make games for all consoles more for the leading console though, but yeah. its just a thought

it would be pointless...the real money is in software not hardware...not to mention their reputation is throughly shot in the hardware market...im not saying i wouldnt buy another Sega console(i would at launch)it just would be very unwise of them...

Sega knows how to make the perfect system but their marketing is the worst of all the companies. If Sega's marketing was like Sony's, Dreamcast would still be around and be one of the best.

Originally posted by Silender@July 04 2002,12:40

Sega knows how to make the perfect system but their marketing is the worst of all the companies. If Sega's marketing was like Sony's, Dreamcast would still be around and be one of the best.

I feel as though everybody now knows what it takes to make the perfect system. No dual CPU nonsense, lotsa colors, really fast, great sound. Case in point, the XBox - whether you like Microsoft or not, you have to admit it is, on paper, a really powerful system.

However, the issue is cost - for the consumer and the maker. Microsoft can afford to lose money in the hundreds of millions, but companies like Sega can't. It's that supply and demand jazz.

I really think if MS hadn't made the Xbox so bulky and stupid looking (and looked more like the PS2), and prepackaged the DVD accessories, that the XBox would've sold a lot more to other audiences, i.e. those wishing to purchase a DVD player. Microsoft is a household name, and some survey found a good 75% of general PC users are happy with MS products. So they'd have that kind of leverage already. Instead they catered to gamers (focusing on it's powerful graphics and promise of gaming glory), and history proves this populace to be very fickle.

So, I don't think it's just only Sega's marketing strategy. It's their system design. Consider the debacles following the Genesis - the Sega CD, the 32X, the Saturn, and to a lesser extent, the Dreamcast. The first three were way too expensive, didn't have a large library - essentially the systems didn't justify the cost. The dreamcast, if it had a few more features (i.e. DVD) and power, rather than rushing to capture the market before the PS2, could've been around today.

To me, the most important thing is the games. Video games are cyclical - when the next big thing comes out, designers cater to that type of thing (ie, graphics) and it takes a while before there's any quality to go along with it. Competition forces designers to quit focusing on just one aspect.

Originally posted by Silender@July 05 2002,11:40

marketing can only go so far...look at the Xbox, M$ has all that money and yet its in last place...

From when Mircosoft offers the games Sega does? (that goes to Sony too
biggrin.gif
). I spoke only if Sega's marketing was better, and not Microsoft's. Sega has way better games than MS(do they have games made by them, really?).

Yeah, Sega makes/publishes the best games. Them and Nintendo seem to be the only two developers left to take a chance on orignal games....

*Silender nods*

Not to offend anyone (looks at cww80
wink.gif
) but... don't you find ood for a company to produce a console and not provide it with games(I don't said to become game developers just a few games for their own console). Sony & Microsoft with their money can buy some small game companies and to make tem a kind of Sega's AM divisions, Segasports, Sonic Team... (EA has done something like that).

Originally posted by Silender@July 06 2002,08:47

*Silender nods*

Not to offend anyone (looks at cww80
wink.gif
) but... don't you find ood for a company to produce a console and not provide it with games(I don't said to become game developers just a few games for their own console). Sony & Microsoft with their money can buy some small game companies and to make tem a kind of Sega's AM divisions, Segasports, Sonic Team... (EA has done something like that).

Sony was making games years before they entered the hardware market...you make alot of bold claims,(on another thread)saying theres more Sony fans on a Sega site than Sega fans(i, like everyone else is here because were Sega fans)i really dont care who makes the hardware,(it could say made in china on it for all i care)just as long as it has great games, thats all that matters...anyone else reading this should go to the "finally got it" thread so you can see just how much of a fool Silender makes out of himself...
biggrin.gif

Back