Seha Saturn Policenauts Text dump

Jello...

Last night I almost finished dumping the Policenauts text.. only problem is that almost is the full Arabic text, Hiragana, a couple of garbled katakanas and NO kanjis... they became a bit elusive. If you think you can help, please visit http://junkerhq.net. The info is under the status section. I did not upload the results i have so far, only the information. If you want the current Beta text dump, contact me.

Thankx

Can you supply the table and dumping method used? It appears that the table you were using is severely corrupt. Another possibility is you might have saved your table in unicode format instead of SJIS.

Either way I can't say unless I were to see it.

Am I pointing out the obvious when I note that

SJIS (RAM) + SJIS (Hex) = Kanji (RAM)?

Also,

EUC (Hex) - EUC (RAM) = Kanji (RAM)

so

SJIS (RAM) + SJIS (Hex) + EUC (RAM) = EUC (Hex). Dunno how useful this is, though. (I know next to nothing about the different character encoding systems.)

your site isnt working, some webhost seller is popping up now
ohmy.gif

Remove the extra period after the domain name, it's a very common bug with auto-generated links.

Originally posted by DBOY@Sep. 01 2002, 10:37 am

Can you supply the table and dumping method used? It appears that the table you were using is severely corrupt. Another possibility is you might have saved your table in unicode format instead of SJIS.

Either way I can't say unless I were to see it.

Thanks for your interest... you probably downloaded the PSX dump I made several months ago, now I have uploaded the current work I hav made in the Saturn, along with my source code and the actual results.

Hope that is a bit more clear.. I use no tables, I code in C a dumper.. so far I have dumpd several games (Snatcher all versions except PCE, Metal Gear, etc) with this method.

Source code and results are included in the zip file.

Sorry man. I don't even have the vaguest idea how you're going about dumping this because I write all my tools in PHP (not to mention there's no comments whatsoever), not C. Why does font.sjis have several billion squares in it? It looks like the file originally had good text in it but something just ATE the encoding for it. Example:

0x6c7ad: ‚ª   ‚ð ‚ß‚éB  ‚́  ‚́ ‚W‚O‚O A‚Q‚T‚́   ‚Ɂ ‚©‚ê‚Ä‚¢‚éB      ‚ł́ ‚à ‚ñ‚Å‚¨‚èA        ‚Æ‚µ‚Ä‚à  B‚í‚´‚í‚´

0x6c83a: ‚g‚n‚l‚d

0x6c843: ‚©‚ç ‚ê‚é ‚à ‚¢B‚Ü‚½AƒSƒƒk

It's not S-JIS, EUC, or even UTF-8. It looks like anything that's not Hiragna, Katakana, or Full-width ascii was just destroyed in this file.

Sorry, though i had explained about that. The squares are the Kanji, but I left just squares to hold their places. The rest is Hiragana and katakana, and All I have is poste don that page.

PHP is quite similar to C (as a mater of fact, it inherited most of it) so it shouldn't be much touble. Anyway, I will tryto explain a bit out of it.

I have a linked list with all the "ranks" or types of text that I hve identified, they are as follows (taken from policenauts_ranks.rnk:

12,d002,d002

13,d003,d003

18,d008,d008

30,8030,807E

50,81FF,825D

60,839e,83dd

70,843f,849d

80,889e,9ffd

90,e03f,eaa2

Each of those has a meaning, for instance 12, 13 and 18 (all in hex) are special characters represented by coded D002, D003 and D008 in the Saturn file.

0x30 represents the Arabic characters, which are between the ranks 8030 to 807, etc.

Then I parse the complete saturn fiile, and when I find a couple of bytes that is within the rank, I treat it as appropiate, as described in extract.c (function name is extract)

In the case of an Arabic character, I do the following:

case 0x30: // Arabic

tmp += 0x21F;

first = (tmp & 0xFF00) >> 8;

second = tmp & 0x00FF;

array = insert_sjis(first, array);

array = insert_sjis(second, array);

break;

That, converts it to sjis and iserts it into a dinamic array which holds the current string. So, Hiragana, Katakana, Special Chars and Kanji are trated each separately since they are encoded differently. As youcan see in the source, the kanjis are treated as the square characters, just to hold the space there.

Thanks for your time man.

How big is the file with the script and the font file? I could probably help a lot more if I could see those (sorry, don't own the game). If it's kinda small is there any way you could upload it or e-Mail it to me? I'd just like to see the input your program is working with.

Artemio, the reason why you had so much trouble is because it doesn't use a complete kanji set. Konami basically pulled a Langrisser: They kept all the kana/ascii intact, but stripped out whatever kanji they didn't need and encoded the text accordingly. For a better idea, see this pic:

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~translationnext/...ots/pn-test.gif

So what you'll have to do is bug me on icq the next time you're on and hopefully i'll have the font totally dumped by then. That way you(or some other poor soul) can make up a kanji table for your dumper program.

Cyber Warrior X

I pity whomever makes a table for that game unless someone strips the shadowing from it. That's nearly completely illegible. Interesting that it has ‚î ‚ï ƒ and ƒ‘ since those are phased out of the Japanese language. Keep seeing them pop up in games from time to time though. Never have figured out why.

Oh also, the Langrisser tables do not necessarily go in order of character appearance. Maybe a few do but not Langrisser I, Der Langrisser, or Langrisser I&II.

Well, Cyber made it again, and extracted the font.. now, I am off to work on it.. if someone is interested, help is appreciated.. although it is in order, that is a good point.

Thanks everyone.

Nah, it's not too bad. If anything, it's just the time factor and the fact that looking through a couple thousand kanji trying to find the ones that are in the game isn't exactly fun.

Yeah, I guess Langrisser was a bad analogy as several non-langrisser games do it and likewise not all Langrisser games do. But Langrisser was the first on my mind since all the saturn/psx games(which is more than just a 'few') do it except for Langrisser DE.

Cyber Warrior X

Did you ever run across the 16x16 or 8x8 fonts for Langrisser: Dramatic Edition? I've been toying witht he idea of doing Langrisser I&II PSX (yeah, shittier game but I can't afford to spend $900 burning discs to do a Saturn hack) and have a script dumper and rebuilder done and working changed some text but I kinda dropped the project because I have no clue what to do about 8x8 and 16x16 fonts -- doesn't seem to be in any of the files. I have the 8x8 text locations hacked out and a pointer reconstructor made but that's still no good without the actual fonts ot put in some engrish letters. For 16x16 if it ever gets turned up I was planning to just make squished tiles at 12 height (9 ascent, 3 descent). Main reason i was looking at ht egame is because when DL is done, the script for this game would be done except for the INCREDIBLY SHORT Langrisser I script (could probably translate it in 2-3 days tops).

lang2.gif

Note: I think anyone can guess this isin't what Hein really says but I was having fun
tongue.gif

I never did spend enough time searching out the 8x8 font, but the 16x16 font is nothing but byte-swapped 1BPP. Also has a table just before the actual font data.

As an interesting aside... Do you know how many discs i've burned during the whole time I worked on Langrisser III?

All of 3(unless you feel like including the test I did with that cinepak encoder a few days ago).

The first two discs were because I had to do a number of sh2 address pointer changes that you couldn't check by modifying memory the memory(since the program cached them elsewhere). And the third disc was for testing droshalla's region free ip.bin.

Otherwise, I just went to whatever part of the game needed testing, uploaded the portion of the file that was modified to memory, and tested away.

In contrast, though I don't really know the actual numbers, Cless has burned more than that on ToP.

I've been toying witht he idea of doing Langrisser I&II PSX (yeah, shittier game but I can't afford to spend $900 burning discs to do a Saturn hack) and have a script dumper and rebuilder done and working changed some text but I kinda dropped the project because I have no clue what to do about 8x8 and 16x16 fonts -- doesn't seem to be in any of the files.

8x8 and 16x16 fonts in the psx version? The psx version uses 12x12 1BPP (same as Langrisser IV & V, get my tilemod2 module). And both Langrisser I & II and Langrisser DE use the same filename for the dialogue font -> font.dat(and each game uses it's own font file). I hope I read your question correctly.

For 16x16 if it ever gets turned up I was planning to just make squished tiles at 12 height (9 ascent, 3 descent). Main reason i was looking at ht egame is because when DL is done, the script for this game would be done except for the INCREDIBLY SHORT Langrisser I script (could probably translate it in 2-3 days tops).

Once again, psx version uses 12x12, so I can't imagine it'd be hard to do what you want. Saturn-wise, you might as well go all the way and do VWF as it'll take almost as much time and code to do.

Cyber Warrior X

Actually the PSX uses 16x16 text for the menus. Want me to post a picture so you can count?
smile.gif
It's the same kind of thing Der Langrisser did. 12x12 for dialogue. 16x16 for menus. 8x8 for the class and character names.

See the thing is you own an ARP that has a connector for a comm link. Mine doesn't and it's not worth spending $35 to buy one, then $10 for a card for my PC, and another $10 for a cable to hook them together. With the PSX I&II I can use ePSXe (it runs I&II perfectly but not IV or V). This makes translating PSX game infinitly cheaper for me than a Saturn game.

Ah yes, that's right. It's been a while since I even bothered with psx games, let alone hacked them.

See the thing is you own an ARP that has a connector for a comm link. Mine doesn't and it's not worth spending $35 to buy one, then $10 for a card for my PC, and another $10 for a cable to hook them together.

Funny, that's why you can just get the base model AR Pro(with connector might I add) for like $12?(see gamechoiceclub) GCC also sells the commlink for 11 and cable for 4. But whatever. Let me tell you though, if you ever have any hopes of ever really getting anywhere with saturn hacking, you -will- be getting a similiar setup, or you won't be getting anywhere. I guarantee it.

With the PSX I&II I can use ePSXe (it runs I&II perfectly but not IV or V). This makes translating PSX game infinitly cheaper for me than a Saturn game.

Yes, but as the past has shown emulators are not as perfect as you make them out to be. They're alright for basic tests, but I wouldn't put all my faith in them. And as i've said earlier, if you have the proper setup, it costs you virtually nothing. And if done properly, it takes less time too.

Cyber Warrior X

Yeah emulators are never perfect. But honestly nothing I've done yet will have the game not work.

I don't ever plan on doing any saturn hacking. The only game I've even considered is Gulliver Boy just because it's my favorite Saturn RPG and it seems simple enough if I can find it's non 12x12 text.

Anyway, back to looking for the 16x16 and 8x8 for LI&II.

First i want to say that you all are doing a great job
smile.gif
but are you guys planing to translate the games you dumping the scripts for ? or are you just dumping the scripts for other reasons ?

Back