Shining Force

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Role-Playing Action, Up Close and Deadly!

The Continent of Rune has slumbered in peace for 50 generations. A horde of invaders swarm across the border, while a dragon that has slept for centuries stirs in its tomb. Only the King's youngest swordsman and his war party can defy the Dark Dragon's evil power and crush the mighty army!
  • Control up to 10 different characters at once. Increase their skills and attributes through strategy, combat and exploration!
  • Search through 8 brilliant scenarios. Sub-quests and imaginative sequences make every game a new adventure!
  • 12 megs + battery backup = Sega's largest role-playing game!

The first Shining Force game :p

Attachments

• Shining_Force_frontcover.JPG
    Shining_Force_frontcover.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Shining_Force_backcover.JPG
    Shining_Force_backcover.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 109
    93.9 KB · Views: 109
    107.4 KB · Views: 111
    93.9 KB · Views: 118
    107.4 KB · Views: 112
Ahh yes. This is one of my favorite games ever. I know it didn't originate the Strategy RPG genre, but it really helped to make it known here in the West. The first time I played this game, it was a rental. I got to the last battle, but couldn't beat it because I was so frightened that my main character would die I only leveled him to level 7. I thought my mom had taken it back to the rental store (she said she did), but months later I discovered the cartrdige. Pretty forgetful of her! At that point, it was cheaper to just buy the game than it was to pay the rental fee, so she did just that. Finally I was able to restart my game and play through to completion.

Overall, it's a true classic- supremely playable and easy to get into, unlike some newer S/RPG's. Despite some interface shortcomings, I also prefer it to SF2 - mainly because the characters are better in this one.

The pride and joy of my gaming collection would have to to be my mint copy of this. My Nomad being a very close second. :)

The best part of my mint copy? I got it for FREE!

I've hardly played it though. I haven't played any RPGs since Phantasy Star IV in July 2003 :eek:mg:

Great game though, I played Shining Force CD a bit as well.

Like said above, the thing about this game that impresses is that it's tactical RPG pur sang, but it's very playable, and there's virtually no reason why people should be scared away by anything -> anybody can play it. That's something that can not be said of every RPG, especially not of tactical RPG's. It's amazing how the makers managed to keep the game simple yet challenging.

My first play at this game was also as a rental. After that I had to have it! But around here it was very hard to find. My parents got me Shining force II the christmas of the year it came out, I had a hold on any shining force I's that may arrive at a local video game exchange. Luckily one day they called and I had the cash. It diditn come with a case only the cart and instructions but I wasn't going to let it slip by on account of that. I love that game, but the remake does nothing but disatisfy me..

Back