Should films with [cigarette] smoking be rated 'R'

the "law" between the smoking problem is VERY stupid...

we have the samething here in France....

tax tax tax , anti smoking ads, stupid laws nobody follow...

i have a question : WHAT, if smoking is so dangerous, it's not forbidden ?

It's something i don't (want to) understand...

Kaneda (no-smoking)

Taxes are heavy on cigarettes in the states too. More than half the price, maybe even 75%--not sure, on a pack of cigarrettes is tax. The government should start selling weed, they'd make billions of dollars off of taxes. :lol:

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 22, 2004 @ 05:32 PM

The government should start selling weed, they'd make billions of dollars off of taxes. :lol:

Hell yeah!

Originally posted by Kaneda@Jun 22, 2004 @ 07:21 AM

i have a question : WHAT, if smoking is so dangerous, it's not forbidden ?

It's something i don't (want to) understand...

Kaneda (no-smoking)

good point. But it's probably because so many people are already hooked, there would be a major outcry. I know in CA you can't smoke in ant public buildings

This whole anti-smoking campaign is ridiculous. Do they really think making smoking a mandatory R is going to improve childrens lives? How about providing a better education? That might help our kids.

Originally posted by schi0249@Jun 22, 2004 @ 12:36 PM

This whole anti-smoking campaign is ridiculous. Do they really think making smoking a mandatory R is going to improve childrens lives? How about providing a better education? That might help our kids.

I agree, but it's been proven time and time again that just won't happen. The way they teach in public schools is to cram information down your throat, then you puke it up on to the test at the end of the week, and you're done with it.

What do you expect though when you spend kindergarten (or whatever you call the first year) being told, "Everyone is special, all you have to do to succeed is try." "You're a beautiful butterfly with unique wings." "You're an individually crafted snowflake." You've got a bunch of lazy bums right from the start now. Hmmm, I didn't mean to get off on a rant here. :hehehe:

probably the best stuff is just seeing personal experiences and stuff on TV of people that become unhealthy, and if nothing else become smelly and have to shell out cash...

The way I see it: Blowing somebody's head off with a shotgun is illegal. Showing that in a movie would make it rated R. So if you make movies with cig smoking rated R, cigarettes should be illegal. Because it's just that grotesque.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: <--- THIS THREAD IS NOW RATED R! ALL KIDS OUT!!!

I really don't care what the MPAA rates stuff anymore, and it shows (if you've ever wondered where my avatar and sig quote come from here you go imdb).. Personally I haven't payed attention to ratings since I was 13. I voted no in the poll just because of how ridiculous that is. I'll try and find a list of what gives movies an R rating, just to show how ridiculous the MPAA's rating system is. I know there's a pelvic thrust limit for sex scenes. :blink:

EDIT: Found this quiz, I'm rated PG, I better start getting some hot action and get that up to a NC-17 or at least an R :D

EDIT2: Can't find anything specific. I don't think they make that information readily available. I'd have to ask a director or producer and I don't know any. :(

I personally think it's silly. The government is doing the best they can to eradicate smoking altogether, but they have to do it slowly. I can understand the concern about so-called 'product placement' of cigarettes, but I'm pretty sure that's probably not allowed in PG13 movies to begin with (not sure if it's allowed in movies at all, actually). Most studios will do anything to avoid an R rating if their movie is targeted to a younger audience, but think of the consequences. That would mean, for example, that a Sherlock Holmes movie would have to be rateed R. That seems a bit silly, doesn't it?

edit - heh, I got an NC-17 rating on the quiz. ;)

Back