Shoulda been a video game!

Okay kids! This should be an interesting topic.

What books should have been made into a video game and WHY?? Comics do not count, nor do movies, nor do TV series. You have to have read the book and be able to give a good explanation WHY it should have been made into a game (besides the fact it would have been cool) and what type of game it would be.

I'm trying to get some creativity going on the boards and get all of you to THINK. It would definately be interesting to see how most of you would adapt the plot of the book into a consumable video game (AND give it replay value). There is no reward for this other than amusing the hell out of me for more than 2 minutes and perhaps impressing a few people with your creativity and intelligence.

Edit - In the interest of Skank, PC games may be included into this.. not just console games.

enders game might make an alright game... ok, maybe not, since the book is basically just ender training in some stupid battle simulation (well, the book is good, but the battle simulation part would be the only part that could be used in a game)

The enders game series would be a shitty game except for the battle school scenes, and of course the killing people with one hit scenes.

shades children would make a good game if you gave them some weapons like emp bombs since there are no guns. I would say it would be for pc, third person shooter with some puzzle solving elements much like resident evil. It would be rated M and probably go for around 50 dollars
biggrin.gif

The Crucible

It's a play, I know, but I read a book version too.

Anyways, I'm thinking Snatcher style game

Cue intro: Leading up the scenes of the ritual that the girls were playing in fun. Obviously a game publisher would censor the nudity... the gits!

You play John Proctor, and you have to question the girls and try to talk them into confessing about your wife NOT being a witch, even though they are just pointing out anyone. you could ham it up though like they do in movies, add some violence to make it an enjoyable game for the less lernered out there... ah well, probably a lame idea, just need more Snatcher games and you can't go wrong with material from the Salem witch hunts
wink.gif

You could do 'Crash' sort of like Stuntman. Have various car crashes with an 'orgasmometer' rating how much of a turn-on the passengers got having the crash. Maybe you'd get a special cutscene for doing well, though maybe you might not want to see it.

'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' could see be a 2 player game where you have to complete various objectives from the book (getting a drink, typing up a story, driving a car) made more difficult by the drugs (many possibilities for graphical effects here). Thing is, you'd get a higher score based on the amount of drugs in your system, so in order to do well you have to pump yourself full of them and make it difficult for yourself to complete the task in hand. You'd need to get the balance right and I guess that would mean it'd probably be different each time you played.

I'm sure neither of these ideas would run into controversy.

Any of the Harrison Ford novels. And I don't mean the drivel that has come out already. It could be done MGS style. Or the Hunt for Red October... there aren't any decent sub games.
smile.gif

The Prince could make for an interesting game. Machiavelli be the guide/mentor, or something... maybe not... ???

The issue is that with RPGs, you couldn't really make the book into a game but rather some ideas from it, which would then be ultimately butchered by whoever is making the game (fairly inevitable, I think).

Action/espionage could then be done, (re: above), but how tired is that genre?

And I don't generally read books that can be made into videogames... Look at me, I'm Plato.
biggrin.gif

The dark

Problem is i can't remember the name of the author.sorry

But it was a wicked book.

Also ONE RAINY NIGHT would make a good game.

It's plot is more or less like this,this black kid gets murdered.

After this happens,one night it starts to rain,this warm black rain,that sends everyone who gets wet by it,completely mad.

They go round slaughtering people.And the main story is centered around this cop,trying to figure out what the hell is happening to people.

But its kinda a gory story so most of it would be censored.

i can see stephen kings dark tower novels being turned into a role playing game for the computer. I mean it'd be cool because you're a gun slinger who is in search of the black tower the center of everything. you travel between dimensions and time fight crazy mutants have side kicks that you'd never expect in a game like a crippled black woman with multiple personalities. It'd be a sweet game.

Originally posted by joe81@Aug. 22 2002, 6:52 pm

i can see stephen kings dark tower novels being turned into a role playing game for the computer. I mean it'd be cool because you're a gun slinger who is in search of the black tower the center of everything. you travel between dimensions and time fight crazy mutants have side kicks that you'd never expect in a game like a crippled black woman with multiple personalities. It'd be a sweet game.

Sounds like a cool book.

I may have to check my book club for it.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Aug. 22 2002, 6:54 pm

Yea, he needs to finish the series though, which I doubt will happen since he said he was retiring soon.

Retiring? awwww he's one of my fave horror writers.

damn ye mother nature for the ageing process...

I think he's going to retire by finishing the series. since he always alludes to the series in his new books.

that and he said the next book in the series is going to be like 900 pages long.

Originally posted by joe81@Aug. 22 2002, 7:08 pm

I think he's going to retire by finishing the series. since he always alludes to the series in his new books.

that and he said the next book in the series is going to be like 900 pages long.

How many book are they/are going to, be in the series?

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Aug. 22 2002, 7:31 pm

I think the original plan was like 6 books, only thing 4 are out now.

Think i will wait till the series is finished,as i will probebly get them cheaper in my book club as a set.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Aug. 22 2002, 7:34 pm

You're probably gonna be looking for a series close to 9,000 pages then.

9000 pages,lol

But the good thing about buying them in a set from my book club is,you usually get a nice case to keep them in,plus other free stuff.

besides,it will be something for me to do if my pc dies.
smile.gif

How about a Nancy Drew game, not the crap they have now, but something good, maybe with two huge towns or cities to explore maybe with a forest and residences inbetween, and as nancy, you pick up things, make assumptions, and follow a storyline in a nonlinear way, so that way each game is different. You can finish the mystery, but perhaps the third time you were playing, you took the time to take in the sights, and george dies somehow. And you can also have some sort of relationship system, where the way you react and go about things, determines whether Ned decides to leave you or not later in the game, in heavy situations.

I dunno, just a freaky idea

Crichton's Rising Sun would be a good storyline to use in a game also.

Back