SMS Plus with CZ80 0.92

RockinB said:
I've just burned the latest wonderboy on CD-RW and it works nice.

No more comcard ? Thanks for testing anyway :beerchug

Speed is with sound 58fps, without over 60fps. The problem of sounds playing twice is reduced very much. Only a glitch noise is coming periodically.

I may replace the sound emu core by Gens core. Steph told me his emu is faster than the current sound emu :) Actually I failed miserably to use it, the sound output is bad.

When stopping and continuing sound playback, the sound buffer still contains old samples and plays them for half a second or so.

It will be hard to do something better. I do a pcm stop immediatly.

So the new compiler (v0603?) is better?

I'd say yes comparing to COFF 6.0.1

Weel new sound core didn't give the expected result. Here are two binaries with soinc, each one has a diffectent cycle pattern. I don't see any difference.

old :

0xff5e, 0xffff,

0xffff, 0xffff,

0x04ee, 0xffff,

0xffff,0xffff

new :

0xff5e, 0xeeee,

0xffff, 0xffff,

0x04ee,0xeeee,

0xffff,0xffff

I don't really know if I could get speed with better cycle patterns. I've attached the two release (both are quite fast)

Attachments

• sl_newcyclep.zip
    185.1 KB · Views: 102
  • sl_oldcyclep.zip
    185.1 KB · Views: 77
I don't manage to enable CD access on this version :( It works perfectly on all emu but not on real Saturn, I was ted 2 CDs. I don't manage to use CDunlock to avoid to burn CD too. :(

vbt said:
I don't manage to enable CD access on this version :( It works perfectly on all emu but not on real Saturn, I was ted 2 CDs. I don't manage to use CDunlock to avoid to burn CD too. :(

Just fixed using CyberWarriorX's CDC replacement :rock:

So I have a release ready with CDunlock and soon a mkisofs release.

That sounds great!

AFAIK, I've been in a similar situation when I was forced to use the CDC replacement. But it didn't work (GFS lib and RB_minCD) for me. I will try it again...

I will try out the binaries this weekend. Just noticed that it get's difficult to buy CD-RWs these days. Some day, we will need some sort of CD emulator, which physically replaces/fakes the Saturn CD drive and instead reads from SD-card or LAN.

RockinB said:
That sounds great!

AFAIK, I've been in a similar situation when I was forced to use the CDC replacement. But it didn't work (GFS lib and RB_minCD) for me. I will try it again...

You should :) with the converted sega_cdc lib the get satus function didn't work at all, sure i did the object conversion from coff to elf maybe it failed ?(it worked on emu).

I will try out the binaries this weekend.

Try the new one, it's a CD unlock release to allow play with games on a CD, if you got an old burnt sms plus and a saturn modchip (or use swap trick) you can reuse the CD :)

On,e time you asked for this feature. I'll publish the mkisofs tomorrow. Then I will test the FAZE on Saturn with the help of Fox68k, I had to start last week but didn't.

Just noticed that it get's difficult to buy CD-RWs these days. Some day, we will need some sort of CD emulator, which physically replaces/fakes the Saturn CD drive and instead reads from SD-card or LAN.

Sure it would be nice but i won't be easy. A "simple" tool to send files to the Saturn memory after loading a binary could be enough.

Attachments

• sl_cd_unlock.zip
    43.2 KB · Views: 87
vbt said:
The CD version is now ready :rock:, the main changes are :

- First menu removal

- Readme.txt created

- Move to ELF compiler (produces faster code)

- Uses CDC CyberWarrior X CDC replacement

- Control management changed because of ELF

http://vberthelot.free.fr/smsplus/sms_plus.zip

I've been trying very hard to get this working on my real Saturn, but I failed. Compiling the CD worked fine. But when I load it into yabause or (the CD-RW into) real Saturn, the screen stays at a constant color, the fps counter keeps changing between 74 and 75. But no pad input is accepted (like in the NES emu...), there is no ROM file name displayed, I can't load any rom.

I tried with wave file and without, with a modified cue file from me and with a modified one from your SMB entry.

I have a EMS 4-in-1 cart plugged in.

BTW: why is it mandatory to burn it with one wave track?

I'm still wondering how you got the cdc-replacement working.

RockinB said:
I've been trying very hard to get this working on my real Saturn, but I failed. Compiling the CD worked fine. But when I load it into yabause or (the CD-RW into) real Saturn, the screen stays at a constant color, the fps counter keeps changing between 74 and 75. But no pad input is accepted (like in the NES emu...), there is no ROM file name displayed, I can't load any rom.

Oh yes sorry :tomato: :tomato: Sure I recompiled the file just before putting it in the zip file. I don't know what happened, sometimes -funit-at-a-time kills my binary when I don't do full build, for sure I didn't do a last test. I did a lot of test with the cdunlock version. The bad binary says "read pb" with unknown reason.

I tried with wave file and without, with a modified cue file from me and with a modified one from your SMB entry.

No no it's my fault :( I've replaced the bad binary.

I have a EMS 4-in-1 cart plugged in.

BTW: why is it mandatory to burn it with one wave track?

well I say that because some emus stay locked with no audio track, I don't remember if Saturn games can run without any audio track.

I'm still wondering how you got the cdc-replacement working.

about the CDC I can't say I have only built the archive and it worked. I've attached it to this post.

Attachments

• cdcrep.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 110
RockinB said:
I'm sorry, but even with the new binary, the problem is not gone...:(

Ok :( i have to do then a new cdunlock release to verify again then remove cdunlock and burn the CD. Sorry again :(

what happens on emu ? on yabause you have to push"2" to see the game as it doesn't emulate saturn window.

Here is a new Cd Unlock release of SMS plus :)

It uses a new PSG sound core made by Steph (the author of Gens and Cz80) :congrats: It's the gens PSG core modified for the Saturn.:rock:

The games seems to run at least 2fps faster than before with the sound enabled.

Rockin'-B : about ROM loading problem I don't find, the only idea I had was the first ROM loaded was not supported like aceoface for instance. Also it doesn't read the first ROM on the CD but the second one, I discovered that bug when looking for your problem.

Attachments

• sl_new_sound_core.zip
    45.1 KB · Views: 106
Can someone please send me a working CD image of one of the newer releases? I'm still having problems with all releases after smsplus_sound_mkisofs.....

RockinB said:
Can someone please send me a working CD image of one of the newer releases? I'm still having problems with all releases after smsplus_sound_mkisofs.....

OK, i''ll make a CD with ROMs

I've had success with this new ISO file, it works!

What I found out so far:

Playing some Ayrton Senna racing game, I found out that the line scroll implementation is shifted for one line. At the bottom status text in the game, the topmost line is scrolled like the track, whereas the topmost line of the track remains unscrolled.

BTW: VBT, is there something you're currently working on, as far as Saturn is concerned?

Back