Snatcher help!

I just recently got an original copy of Snatcher from Ebay (had a CDR previously), and its not loading in my Sega CD. It loads as far as the copyright screen (before the Konami logo), and then the disc seems to stop reading. I tried the disc with the Gens emulator, and its fine, but not in the actual system. Strange thing is, my CDR works in the system, as does every other game I own.

The disc is perfect, not a scratch on it, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Hmm weird, I assume your CD-R works fine? If so, I would just continue using that, as you're not really doing anything illicit in that case. Do other Sega CD originals play fine in your system?

I just copied my retail copy with CloneCD, and it works fine, yet the original disc STILL won't load. My main problem here is that I paid for something that seems to basically be worthless to me. Is there any method of laser calibration on Sega CD?

It may be a silly question but just in case you havn't thought of it yet - Is the game region coded? Did it come from the same region as the Sega CD system?

Yeah, its from the same region, its the US release, being played on a US system. When i copied the game, the burn worked fine, however the original still won't load past the copyright screen.

Well, another senario I can think of is if the game disc was not stored correctly then the protective layer on the data side may have lost some of its transperency. This could make it unreadable for and old cheap CD drive you would find in a Sega CD but still read ok on a modern CD drive. Just an idea.

Yeah, it could be that... you could strengthen the laser by taken the SegaCD apart and turning the little orange/yellow plastic screw on the back of the laser clockwise. But then if the CD-R works, I'd continue using that because you better off not messing with the laser. Hold onto the game as it is nice to have as collectible, and it isn't as illicit as said before to play the bootleg version.

Originally posted by Kuta@Mon, 2005-08-15 @ 12:56 AM

Well, another senario I can think of is if the game disc was not stored correctly then the protective layer on the data side may have lost some of its transperency. This could make it unreadable for and old cheap CD drive you would find in a Sega CD but still read ok on a modern CD drive. Just an idea.

[post=138302]Quoted post[/post]​

It must be something like that, you can hear the drive try to read it, and just give up. The cd stops spinning and it makes the familar "click" noise that every cd system i've owned has made at some point.

May may just like to try hold the CD up to a light and checking to make sure there are no holes in the foil layer. These cannot be seen when looing for surface scratches and would prevent the CD drive from reading the disc.

Back