SNES and Saturn at flea market

I picked up a complete SNES (two original controllers, AC, RF) and model 1 Saturn (round buttons, power cord, AV cable, original controller and superpad 8) plus 7 SNES games (nothing special) and an NFL Saturn disc for 20$ at the Cambridge Flea Market yesterday.

The SNES doesn't power on. Probably a fuse or regulator or something, I'll crack her open one of these days and hopefully fix it.

The Saturn works. The connector on the original controller got hanked hard and broke off one of the wires, so I"ll need to resolder that.

Now I'm trying to decide which Saturn I should keep. The model 2 (oval button) one that I already have, or the round button one. I've heard the round button one is far easier to mod, though I didn't really have plans for that, since I can use the 4-in-1 cart to play imports. Any thoughts on which I should keep?

Any suggestions on what usually goes wrong with SNESes?

Thanks,

JMT.

You are indeed correct, MK1 saturns are easier to mod. I would personaly keep both, being a Sega collector, but its up to you.

Originally posted by nevyn@Sun, 2005-08-07 @ 07:28 AM

FYI

Oval buttons = model 1 saturn

Round buttons = model 2 saturn

[post=138024]Quoted post[/post]​

I was just going to say the same thing...

Wow I managed to completely get that backwards.

My oval-button saturn is MK-80000, and the round-button saturn is MK-80000A.

The BIOS screen seems to be identical for both. I assume there aren't any major differences like with the SegaCD, where the model-1 was considered more stable, and also has a much cooler BIOS (animation/music) to boot?

If you have no plans of on putting a mod chip in then Id keep the one you have had in your posesion for awhile. You know how you have taken care of it and the conditions its been through. The one at the flea market could have been gone through hell before it reached your hands.

Although I would keep both, but if you want to sell one or the other that would be my thinking on it.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sun, 2005-08-07 @ 05:17 PM

I was just going to say the same thing...

[post=138027]Quoted post[/post]​

Well that's kinda a rule of thumb, but I've talked with about 10 people this past year how bought round buttoned saturns off eBay just to find out they were really Model 1s.

Originally posted by racketboy@Mon, 2005-08-08 @ 04:28 AM

Well that's kinda a rule of thumb, but I've talked with about 10 people this past year how bought round buttoned saturns off eBay just to find out they were really Model 1s.

[post=138045]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, id say probably 95% of all Saturns with the round buttons are model 2s. The thing that really differenciates between the 2 models though however is the hardware inside. Saturns with the 21 pin ribbon cable are considered to be model 2, while Saturns with the 20 pin ribbion cable are considered to be model 1 reguardless of the button/case style.

Id say with 99% certainty that all Saturns made June 1996 and beyond are model 2s. Unfortunalty only Saturns for North Amercia have the month and year stamped on the bottom. Jap, and Euro Sats only have the model number which can only be used to get a vague and rather undocumented range of time the system was made.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash

I've heard the round button one is far easier to mod, though I didn't really have plans for that, since I can use the 4-in-1 cart to play imports. Any thoughts on which I should keep?

Well if all you want it for is to play imports then the chip is unnecessary. All the chips will do is allow the play of back ups and a region switch is about the same difficulty on all versions.

Back