Soccer on dreamcast???

I had UEFA Dream Soocer.

Not bad I guess, considering the other Dreamcast football games.

Virtua Striker is good thouh

Originally posted by stack99@Dec 20, 2003 @ 01:55 PM

get virtua striker , you won't regret it... :cheers

Unless, of course, you want something that actually resembles football ;) . But you'll have a hard time finding that on the DC IMO.

Originally posted by Myname+Dec 20, 2003 @ 06:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ Dec 20, 2003 @ 06:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-stack99@Dec 20, 2003 @ 01:55 PM

get virtua striker , you won't regret it... :cheers

Unless, of course, you want something that actually resembles football ;) . But you'll have a hard time finding that on the DC IMO. [/b][/quote]

but what other DC options are there?

I know, that's why I said you'll have a hard time finding anything on the DC sadly. If you really need a good football game and you don't want to shell out for any of this generation of consoles, about the only thing to do is get a cheapo PS1 and one of the Winning Eleven games. Or play it on a Playstation emu maybe.

There aren't many US DC soccer games. Most of the games were either released in europe or Japan (strangely enough). The US ones tend to be more of the arcadey type, while the euro and Jap ones are more strategy and management type (with some arcadey in the mix.)

I don't know how lucky you can get in (South) America. Striving for a decent soccer DC game I bought just about every soccer game I could find here in Germany:

Virtua Striker

Totally arcade. Was the first one I got and only was fun when playing with other people, however no real soccer feeling. No commentary (unless you call "Foul", "Goal", "Half Time", etc. commentary) instead really annoying samba music. No actual rosters and IIRC no editor. Plus only national teams, no clubs (not even imaginary ones).

90 Minutes

Playable, yet crappy ball physics. The commentary is there, however IMHO pretty lame. IIRC clubs and national teams with a 2000 roster and names slightly changed due to licensing reasons. Can't give you any more detailled info, for I played about 2 matches, before putting it away ;)

UEFA Dream Soccer

Overall the best soccer game I found on the DC. Many options, good ball physics, great commentary (the German version I posess, that is). A 2001 roster, again names of clubs and players slightly changed, however IIRC has got an editing function. Big plus for many single player variations: besides leagues and cups you have got World Domination (pick a team and dominate continent after continent) and Time Attack (score a goal against the time. Opponents and time to beat get tougher and tougher).

However a really big downpoint is the loading time. Expect ca. 2 minutes from powering up to entering the main menu. Loading a match also takes up 60-90 seconds. Plus it has it's occasional bugs. Every 10 matches or so a throw in or free kick will go a couple of kilometers far and valuable time is running out, until the game catches itself back into a goal kick or throw in, if it ever catches itself that is...

However well worth the buy (Euro5, about US$6 :))

Sega Worldwide Soccer 2001

Rosters and playability are almost identical to UEFA Dream Soccer, no wonder since Silicon Dreams also developed this one. The rest seems life UEAFA Dream Soccer light: less options, IIRC less teams, less single player modes, however also less loading times and less bugs (been playing this regularly for the past 9 months and a familliar bug only occured once). In addition a rather well done English commentary, which you will probably enjoy more than the German one :) Also got it back then for the same price as the above one.

The infos I have given, I cannot confirm ATM, for I am not at home with my beloved DC. If there are any mistakes in these short reviews, please feel free to correct me.

Damn, I almost had my heart set on virtua striker too. Now I don't think I want that one because I'm looking for a real simulation feel. More importantly, editing options are what I'm looking for. I suppose I'll have to pick up UEFA or worldwide. Either way, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Hell, I might just try as many futbol titles as I can get a hold of.

OK, here's my dilema people. Futbol is all that matters down here, BELIEVE ME. I've always been a big FIFA fan because EA goes out of it's way to make games available for me. BUT..... 2003 + 2004 on ps2 have no world cup or editing options, OR the argentine league they tricked me into buying the game for(Boca vs. River pic on IGN). So I still play 2002 for a couple of reasons.

1. CUSTOMIZE EVERYTHING FROM PLAYERS TO CLUBS TO KITS TO LEAGUES.

2. IT TAKES MORE SKILL TO PLAY THAN ANY GAME B4 OR AFTER IT'S RELEASE.

For example, you can make just about any pass known to man...IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL. I can cross the ball through any traffic, chip a ball over any keeper, and maintain 60% posession for entire matches. The only problem is that on world class difficulty, the cpu can score a goal from 30-40 meters out when given space. Also, corner kicks are basically automatic goals for the comp. Because of these stupid little things, I win the matches by really fake score lines. (EXAMPLE: Boca JRS. 6 - AC Milan 3)

I want something just a bit more realistic, with the ability to customize.

I have a friend in the states who says winning eleven 7 is due out there in FEB, and he can send me a copy along with a US model PS2. Is it gonna be worth shelling out the cash??? Keep in mind, if it's REALLY that good, I'll play it 4ever like fifa 2002.

How does this game measure up to the FIFA series??? And... are there any other soccer games on any console that can offer what I'm looking for???

Trust me, once you've played a Winning Eleven game (not the European Pro Evolution games, as these tend to be tweaked a little for the worse) you'll wonder how you ever thought FIFA was any good. In the FIFA games, once you know how to score you can do it all the time, whereas in WE pretty much every goal is different and you have to work hard and be creative for it. Which makes it much more satisfying when one does go in ;). If you happen to get the PS2 chipped at any time, you can also get patches for the game so everything is as realistic and up to date as possible (in WE7 there are a few teams that have licenced players and kits, but also a few countries that have made-up names).

I wouldn't recommend you shelling out for a console if I wasn't absolutely sure you'd love the game :).

Back