Soldering Problems

Jaded God

Established Member
Whenever I try to tin the tip and put a tiny layer of solder on the tip... It just blobs up in gobs, instead of being shiny and flowing evenly all over the bit... I use 60/40 rosin-core solder, I have a 15 watt iron, then today I just bought a 20/40 switch with stand and sponge set... And this new one still does it... Just applying the tinniest ammount of solder makes it do it everytime..
angry.gif

It is making me angry... I have to bust out the desoldering braid and get the crap off... Then I try to solder a joint and I will hold it on the pcb contact for a while and it wont melt the solder at all... Sometimes it will and sometimes it wont, if I turn the iron in my hand and try a diff side of the bit sometimes then it works...
unsure.gif

If anyone can help me with any of these problems I would appreciate it, because I think the not soldering part has to do with my bit not getting tinned properly to heat the pcb contact. :confused

Sounds like the iron isn't getting hot enough. If it has an adjustable thermostat, turn it up a little. Also, when you turn it on, leave it for about 5 minutes before you use it. It needs to heat up to the correct temp.

Make sure it makes contact with whatever you are trying to solder long enough for the component to heat up too.

Originally posted by Curtis@Apr 13, 2003 @ 08:01 PM

Make sure it makes contact with whatever you are trying to solder long enough for the component to heat up too.

But not too long either. Judging these things can be really tricky when you're starting out.

Try using the finest (thinnest) solder you can find. It will melt more easily and be easier to work with when dealing with fine soldering.

Clean the iron (apply moderate gobs of solder and push them around the iron by wiping it on the (wet) sponge). Do it pretty frequently - once it's basically clean, a quick wipe once every few joints should keep it going pretty nicely.

I am letting it heat up for 5 minutes or more, I don't like turning it up to 40 watts because that is way too hot for soldering to pcb contacts... I want to use the 20 watt which is what I should be using..

So you guys are saying that little gobs of solder are correct then when wiping it on the sponge it will cover it... I have been doing that and I thought it was working a bit, but then your saying I dont have to keep tinning it but yet I have to just wipe it on the sponge after every few times of soldering?

It also some spots looks copper gold on the bit a little, some is silver, but ahhh I am having a difficult time it just isnt working.

I'm using 60/40 .032 dia, 2.5 oz solder that is like the thinniest one mal, or the right one for the job.

So you guys are saying that little gobs of solder are correct

They're not, but when you put it on there the flux core helps clean the iron. Electronic supply shops also sell little tins of "tip tinner/cleaner" that's basically a specialized solder paste with plenty of flux, but by all accounts I've heard the stuff isn't really vital to getting an iron clean. Maybe it would help if your iron is really crufty.

then your saying I dont have to keep tinning it but yet I have to just wipe it on the sponge after every few times of soldering?

No, you should keep it tinned, just wipe it and apply a bit more solder every few joints to keep it tinned. You shouldn't have a significant blob hanging on the iron (the wiping should remove the excess), just make sure the tip is pretty well coated.

yea I just succesfully changed the led in my dc to a nice blue so I got the hang of it now... Thanks guys
smile.gif

Back