Sony announces 2 different PSX models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des-ROW

Established Member
Sony held a Press Conference the last 7th of October in which the company formally announced that they will release two different models of their upcoming PSX system, the first version, labeled DESR-5000, will include a 160GB HDD and will have a price of 79,800yen (aproximately 730USD), while the second model, called DESR-7000 will feature a 250GB HDD and will cost 99,800yen (aproximately 910USD).

No exact release date was addressed, still, Sony stated that the system will be available by the end of the year 2003.

Here you have several pictures from the event.

sony01.jpg

sony02.jpg

sony05.jpg

sony08.jpg

sony09.jpg

sony11.jpg

sony13.jpg

sony14.jpg

sony16.jpg

$900+? you have got to be shitting me. Not only is it an ugly beast... its a freaking playstation 2! Sigh. Such a waste of money IMO.

You might want to resize those pics though, any 56kers coming to SX might be a tad annoyed with those.

---Ammut

Expensive? Yes.

Ugly? Not really. I reckon a blue one would be really cool. :)

It is a little expensive, still, I will buy one when it gets released, especially considering that it works as a Sony PlayStation2 as well.

Aesthetically, I find it beautiful, I like the standard white color the most.

~ The pictures have been reduced a little in size, I hope everyone is happy now.

*sniff sniff* I smell another Mega CD here. A huge success at first, then it's gonna go to hell, and cost $ony A LOT of money. :lol: :D ;) :p :hehehe: :thumbs-up: :drool:

I WILL buy one eventually, simply because I want to own every game console that has ever existed (that, and all of Sega's Model 2 arcade games :bow ), but I'll wait awhile.

Still, I'd like that flat-screen... thing... as well... JUST IMAGINE THE SATURN :bow ON THAT THING! IMAGINE THE DC ON THAT THING! :drool:

No offense to Des-ROW, but why are you posting news related to the Devil ($ony)? I mean, this IS a Sega site afterall. Now, if it were $ony AND Sega related (IE, a new VF coming to a $ony console), then maybe...

Yeah Yeah, in my two and half years here at SX, I've posted things about $ony, but those were little things, not a whole news post with all these pictures. Again, I don't mean any offense, I just despise $ony so much, that it's kinda.... depressing... ;)

BTW, that reference to my old posts, wa to longtime members (such as myself) that my remember my posting those.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata+Oct 8, 2003 @ 01:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterAkumaMatata @ Oct 8, 2003 @ 01:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll take the flat screen monitor. :D[/b]

Fine by me! I'll be taking the giant display screen :bounce :boldred :bounce Goddamn, that would be the ULTIMATE for gaming - a necessity :cool:

Oh, and why the hell is it a PS2 when it says PSX all over it? PSX was the name given to the first models of the original playstation as 'x' represents an unknown number - there were many different models of the psx which looked/ operated slightly different but all in all they were the same machine. The psone is the more 'official' release of the console (despite it's not as well known as the psx) blah blah :blah

Well, it should have at least been called psx2...

Oh, and regarding the upcoming console - apart from being able to save your game to the hard drive instead of the memory card, and having all homebrew applets loaded to it (media players/ emulators, etc), is there any other use for it? For the games, I mean - It would be extremely cool if you could cut the loading time from the cd with the use of the hard drive - but that would probably mean the game would have to run from the hard drive aswell... oh well, very interesting news indeed! :smokin:

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Oct 8, 2003 @ when-ever-i-post-this

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Oct 8, 2003 @ 01:55 AM

I'll take the flat screen monitor. :D

Fine by me! I'll be taking the giant display screen :bounce :boldred :bounce Goddamn, that would be the ULTIMATE for gaming - a necessity :cool:

Though you probably talking about the same screen as me - only I consider that as a mother of a display screen - not a monitor ;) .... hey, I just quoted myself :blink: ?

<!--QuoteBegin-joe81
@Oct 8, 2003 @ 08:08 AM

if only it came with a little lovin from the model[/quote]

If it did, I'd propose :p

Get over it Cloud121.

Des-ROW posted the news submission and I moved it to the front page. I see no problem posting any video game news here, especially considering many people here aren't one eyed Sega freaks.

If you don't like the PS2 that's fine. Just give it a rest. It's getting old.

And go and find some Sega news to post. :p

PSX was NEVER the official designation for the original PlayStation. That was the codename used when they were still making it for Nintendo. But after that fell through they just use PS. The media and public for some reason just stuck to the PSX label.

Keep in mind that for that high price you are getting a PS2 ($150), DVR(at least $300), DVD recorder ($300), and a satelite tunner ($200) all in one box. I'm probably underestimating the price of the DVR and DVD recorder parts (this thing does come with a 250GB harddrive which by itself it not that cheap).

Thanks for re-enforcing my statement above - we hopefully understand that psx was an 'unofficial' branding for the playstation (dunno whether it was the codename though) :) But yeah - dunno why they call this a psx. There can't be 2 psx's... there'll be conflict! Global unrest will spread and machines will unexpectedly malfunction!! The future of gaming is doomed!!!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 8, 2003 @ 08:15 AM

No offense to Des-ROW, but why are you posting news related to the Devil ($ony)? I mean, this IS a Sega site afterall. Now, if it were $ony AND Sega related (IE, a new VF coming to a $ony console), then maybe...

Sorry Cloud121, but I personally love both Sony and the Sony PlayStation2.

I love Sega as well, I even cried when they announced they were closing their hardware department, but that does not mean I have to hate everything not Sega-related.

I don't hate everything non-Sega related either. I LOVE Nintendo to death, and Square.. well... Square not so much as before. I consider myself a very open-minded gamer (then again, I'm just comparing myself to $ony fanbys and Sega haters, so I probably don't have a really open-mind afterall). I enjoy all games. I enjoy all game companies games. I don't mind the PlayStation 2 all that much. I think it has a fairly good library of games (nowhere near the quality of the library of the PSX though), and I'm impressed by what it can do (only 4 MB of VRAM, and look at Gran Turismo 4! Check out Need of Speed Underground! Check out WWF Smackdown 5!), I just despise $ony so much, and all they're slaves/drones, that my hatred for them, extends to the PlayStation 2 at times. I'd say... if there's just one thing that I TRULY despise in this world, it would have to be the Windows "operating system" ;) :lol: (note the quotes :p ) . But we all know that by now don't we? :p

I'm at the point where I'm just skipping over clouds posts ^_^; they all either say:

:blah sony is the devil :blah

or

:blah sega is god :blah

I personally think the PSX is a sexy beast, but I won't be buying one because I can't justify spending that much money on stuff I can already do with a combination of other devices I already own.

Edit: oh yeah and the :blah windows is the spawn of the devil and sony :blah

:wanker

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Oct 8, 2003 @ 09:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Oct 8, 2003 @ 09:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> Sorry Cloud121, but I personally love both Sony and the Sony PlayStation2.

[/b]

I won't hate you for it, but whatever floats your boat.

<!--QuoteBegin-Scared0o0Rabbit
@Oct 8, 2003 @ 11:23 PM

I'm at the point where I'm just skipping over clouds posts ^_^; they all either say:

:blah sony is the devil :blah

or

:blah sega is god :blah
[/quote]

don't forget the bowing Saturn posts :D

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Oct 8, 2003 @ 11:55 PM

I'm sorry, I thought I was visiting Sega Xtreme. My mistake.

If you read the name of the thread and did not like it, you should not even enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back