Sony takes Lik sang to court

So let me get this straight...

Sony is/was making money off the PSPs sold to Europe, and they're suing Lik-Sang?

What a bunch of crap. I understood when they went after Lik-Sang for mod chips. That was pretty clear cut. However, selling import systems??? People have been importing videogame stuff since probably the beginning of video games. Shame on Sony for trying to shut down a legit business. I hope they lose, and Lik-Sang counter sues.

Hong Kong, one of the pioneering countries respecting worldwide exhaustion of trademark rights...

:biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh

Right now, I'm laughing my fucking ass off. :biglaugh

I live in the UK. I bought a PSP on eBay, just days after I heard in the newspapers that sony had launched a cursade against sellers of the PSP on eBay. Now there going after lik-sang?

:rant

What is the god damn point considering the uk release is only a short distance away (September 1st)?

The PSP - IMHO - is a beautiful little device, but fu*king sony like to mess us brits around. Seriously $249.99 in the states (£140 GBP) but £179.99 ($320) in the UK!! :damn: . God damn Sony, God damn rip-off britain.

Times like this it makes me sick to think that i own Sony products.

Just to add, even though lik-sang sells them cheaper that the UK RRP, the final import price is still forced up by damn import tax.

See, more reasons why I don't like Sony's ethics (kinda like how I never liked the big N's ethics in the 80's and early 90's). I can see their big hoopla about it, They are in the process of producing large amounts of Eropean systems (not that there is much difference, im not sure about architecture, but usually handhelds aren't much difference as they don't need to meet PAL standards). Anyways, the production run of systems has fewer customers now who already bought JAP versions.

Sony doesn't understand though that it really isn't that many people who import, it is mostly just hardcore gamers that do. Lik-Sang may be a big name company, but the only people I know that know of the company are hard HARD core gamers. There is not a single person I have ever meet outside of the net who knows ANYTHING about importing. So the off set can not be that much (I may be wrong, but really how many people do you know outside of the gaming community online that import?).

And as already been said; Importing of games have been done since the mid 80's, no one really ever made and shit about it... why now? OH YEAH, Sony is getting the big headed I can do anything cause we are the leaders in gaming right now syndrome... hey Sony look what happend to the other 3 companies that did that! Atari, N, Sega!

I'm afraid its all in the name of profitability. Sony is a bussiness and bussiness is based on making as much money as possible to please the shareholders. There are some counter points which came to mind as I read the various entries in this thread. To begin with it is difficult to compare current times to those back in the 80's as the gaming industry is far larger now and there is so much competition about. Another thing you need to realise is that when a device is released in a region like the UK it is handled by a UK subsidiary Sony company rather than the main Japanese Sony company which would have been the original bussiness. Each country would have its own subsidiary company to represent Sony in that particular country. These subsidiaries need to report there financial performance but when things are imported then it undermines the function of the UK Sony Co. It is a legal requirment for a company to have representaion based within the region in which it sells its goods so that it can be controlled by appriate laws and whatever standards apply. These laws and standards usually vary from one country to another which means each region needs to have its own release of any specific device. Now, even though some devices are being imported from Asia, because they are being used within the UK, the Uk Sony Co. may be held responsible for them and whatever violations they comit. In saying all that, it is all probably due to financial resons and Sony are just another big greedy company taking advantage of vunerable gamers.

Sony's probably unhappy because they rape the European gamers with prices so high it's actually cheaper to imort the console from Japan or the US than to buy one locally. Thus importing means not only does Sony UK have it's P&L all screwed up, the whole company makes less money because they end up selling more of the cheaper Japanese units and fewer of the overpriced European units.

KUTA did a much better job at describing the whole Euro distributor situation then I did... but then I didn't try too hard either.

Don't you hate it when you type up a huge speil about something and then after you've posted it you notice it is riddled with spelling mistakes.

Oh most definately... that is why my posts are always riddled. I don't fix them, and I type up the message so fast that it is riddled with them... and well makes no sense, like now!

I am saying fuck em at this point. If they try to pull shit liek this I'll never buy another sony product again...and if I do it'll be used and only to play those must-have games (usually sega games, lol). butt ya, fuck that shit. Those pigfuckers can kiss any of my cash goodbye now, this is an attack on the whole gaming community, not just lik-sang. Like it was stated before, going after the mod-chip stuff, I understand, but this!? no fucking way!

Burn in hell Sony and may the revolution kick your ass next gen cuz I know the Xbox360 isn't.

its kind of funny if you dont want people to import stuff from overseas why make the PSP multi region in the first place?

i think one of these days sony is going to suffer just like nintendo, nintendo had a beutifull system with sales scorching high, but after a while i think that big names think they are GOD and own us but have a look at nintendo right now.... SHIT AINT SELLING anymore is it nintendo.....

so far only two companies have been behaving themsleves and making us make the desicions, SEGA and MICROSOFT, but unfortenly sega died after some fuckin GERMAN wankers hacked the DC... from my point of view DC was and still is one of the best bloody systems especially playing the shenmue saga.

people have different views on this subject but the final line is that SONY has gone TO TO FARRRR this time but saying that, those small dick japanese people that cant please their wives... what else are they going to do during night and day :D

Back