soy milk?

Originally posted by jim993@June 20 2002,20:40

anyone else here drink it or am i alone?

First grass jelly, now soy milk? What do you have in store next? Bean red ice?
tongue.gif

Just to satisfy your curiosity, I've tried all those.

i don't know what's next, but you have to admit at least soy milk is more common then the grass jelly drinks.

possibly monk fish liver(damn that stuff is terrible tasting)

or uni

actually i already thought of the next one of these just i forget the name of the nut it's like leechy or something like that.

soy milk is well
sarcasm.gif
. and besides did you know some chemicle in soy pulls the calcium outta yur bones. other than the bad taste it is good for you.

Originally posted by falstaff@June 20 2002,23:01

I would try soy milk, but have had the damndest time finding the teets on a soy bean in order to milk it.
tongue.gif

Soy bean breasts? Ha ha! It'll probably take a million of them to feed one baby.
biggrin.gif

actually i think that statement about them taking calcium out of bones is false since they recomend soy beans for women to prevent osteoperosis(no clue if that's anywhere near right the spelling). i could go into techinal details about the possitives of it but eh do the reasearch yourself on the net.

Originally posted by jim993@June 21 2002, 00:22

actually i think that statement about them taking calcium out of bones is false since they recomend soy beans for women to prevent osteoperosis(no clue if that's anywhere near right the spelling). i could go into techinal details about the possitives of it but eh do the reasearch yourself on the net.

You were so close, it's osteoporosis, you just misspelled by one letter.
tongue.gif

maybe you're refuring to something said about excess amounts of protein consumption can do that. I think i once heard that. soy beans are a good source of protein and i think they provide all of the essential amino acids but again i can be wrong with my statements(hell i'm not a botnist)

(mental note damn why am i using big words that i have no chance of spelling correctly at this hour(it's 139 am where i am)

I take 1 liter of pure cow milk a day
smile.gif
, it has no problems, except if you don´t have lactase, like Asian and other people..., ah !, and no kind of milk is going to pull out or in calcium inside the bones... that´s a hormonal question, and soy is not able to perform that fuction efficiently, and, on the other hand, male people don´t have to worry about their bones
biggrin.gif
. So, if you like milk, take real milk.

Excess protein inhibits calcium absorbtion. Lack of vitamin D inhibits calcium absorbtion. Milk is one of the best sources of calcium but --- soy milk actually has more calcium than regular milk per serving. However, calcium absorbtion is aided by Vitamin D, which is not naturally occuring in soy milk. However, your body produces vitamin D when you are out in the sun.

Contrary to popular belief, "oyster shell calcium" is actually NOT good for you. It can cause weird side effects when taken as a substitute for regular calcium.

Drink soy milk & go out into the sun more than you do when drinking regular milk and it won't make much difference, calcium-ly speaking.

Soy milk makes better milkshakes than regular milk because its thicker.
biggrin.gif
However, it is VERY high in sugar (depending on which kind you buy) so it can be bad for you in large quantities.

Also, soy milk is NOT good to cook with, generally. Depending on how you use it, it can either clot up or turn foul or scorch. I've used it to make cookies and some other simple things but don't use it in sauces or something similar.

Finally, you can never get TOO much calcium.
smile.gif
I'm sure you've heard of 'calcium deposits'... those are not caused by milk or what you eat or drink. They come from water & fluoride. If you are concerned about THOSE, get non-fluoride toothpaste.
wink.gif

And CHE, men SHOULD worry about their bones. It's rare for men to get osteoporosis, but it happens. It's also rare for women that haven't gone though menopause to have osteoporosis.... but it happens. I know someone very well who happens to have it and she is 21. She's had it for 4 years.

I once looked at the back of some crisps and saw that it had milk down as one of the ingredients.. It's probably normal for all I know about crisp-making, but I still thought it sounded kind of disgusting.

Back