Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory on PS2

A little while back, someone posted an item about missing graphical items in Doom 3. And a few years back, someone was blowing a gasket about how much graphical goodness they took out of Deus Ex: Invisible War for the Xbox's sake. Well, I have my own complaining to do and that's with SCCT for the PS2. Do you guys remember the early preview pictures for the game?

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20050127035118291.jpg

As you can see, it looked like a lower-rez version of the Xbox game. But for a PS2 title, it's unbelievable. Ubisoft was talking about how they were able to fake all these graphical goodies on the PS2, etc. Now that the game's out, here's how the game really looks....

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20050315110048187.jpg

See any differences?

I mean the answer is obvious why there is a downgrade: the PS2 probably can't handle such a workout. But I'm curious as to why Ubisoft would promote the game in a state where it can't look that good. Did Ubi think that they could pull it off on the hardware? Did they realize that there would be too much slowdown? Granted, the game looks great for a PS2 title, but not for an Xbox or PC title.

What do you guys think?

[wild-ass speculation mode on]

I can think of three major possibilities (in no particular order):

1) The PS2 version wasn't presentable at the time that they decided to hand out promo screens, so they had the developer hack the Xbox version to do lower res and take screenshots of that to "simulate" the PS2 version.

2) The screenshots were from development hardware with more RAM, using textures and/or models that ended up not fitting into RAM on a retail PS2.

3) These are the same guys who used to put screenshots of the Amiga version on the box of the PC port. :devil

ExCyber's point #1 seems the most likely. I was totally confident that the game would look horrendous on PS2 without ever having looked at screenshots--and this topic seems to prove my assumption.

However we are talking about a machine that seemed weak since the day it was released, I don't think anyone should be suprised or too upset about this. I remember hating on the PS2 launch titles with the guys at GameStop back in 2001, games got a little better, but this machine has had very few impressive looking games.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2005-04-20 @ 04:06 AM

GC as well...  :damn:

[post=133023]Quoted post[/post]​

lol, that one has alot of people shaking their heads.. a more powerful system, with better graphics should prevail.... but lackluster titles will fail every time. sadly.

Back