Starting a Sega Saturn translation/hack.

I seem to have to have found this webpage which has quite a large list of SHr tools, including GAS. Now here comes the dumb newbie hacker question: is GAS a Linux only utility, because that would truly bite for me, since I’m really used to developing in a Windows environment (I suppose I could emulate Linux.. but… that would be slow and stupid with my semi-beastie Athlon 2000+).

Since there are no Saturn executable file formats, IDA doesn't know what is code and what is not and doesn't attempt to guess either. You have to go to a position you know or suspect is code and press 'c' to mark it as such. RTFM.

GAS is part of the GNU binutils and runs on a number of platforms. If you want a precompiled Windows version I suggest you download the KPIT GNUSH toolchain. Not only is it free to download, it's also much newer than the Microcross toolchain you linked to.

This stinks. I've been waiting for GNUSH download site access all day... still no luck. Are there other places i can download it from? Which one do I need? ELF or COFF? (i am thinking ELF for some reason).

No, COFF is the right package to get. KPit folks are not normally there at weekends, so that's the reason for delay.

Doh.. WTF..... why have such a pain in the ass process for getting a download? Forums, i understand, downloads, no..

Okay, next question...

Does anyone know if I can build my own coders cable? Cyber told me it may be possible to hook one up through my LTP port, and if I can, I would rather do that right now, since I’d rather use this machine and not my Aptiva for coding, oh yeah, and I’m just about out of money after ordering the Action Replay.

You could try building a FreeWing interface, but you may have to modify the uploading tools for the Saturn (though I suspect most Playstation tools will work as long as you use only the basic Action Replay features and keep the Saturn/PSX differences in mind, eg. the default execution addresses will be wrong). Another, similar interface can be found here, but all info is in Japanese.

(Oh, and as for the GNUSH versions, the one to get is the COFF version if you intend to make new programs using the SGL/SBL libraries. If you don't use them or are only interested in hacking existing binaries the version doesn't matter.)

Damn! The cost of finding many of those components will defiantly cost more then buying the card… shoot, I was really hoping making a cable would be easier, oh well, I’ll just dig out the Aptiva and sell something for some quick cash, I suppose.

antime: PSX tools will *NOT* work because, for some reason, developing on the PSX is done with a flashed Action Replay (with Caetla or Ez-o-ray) as opposed to using the built-in AR firmware. I don't use Ez-o-ray, but I know Caetla has it's own protocol and almost anybody uses the Caetla tools. If only the Saturn had something similar, mmmm PC fileserver, printf to pc screen etc yummy!

From the descriptions I've read on the Caetla protocol, the basic functionality (upload, download, execute) use the same protocol as defined by Datel. All extended functionality use Caetla protocol extensions. (I could be wrong of course, I don't have the docs in front of me now to verify it.)

Also, as was discussed before, nothing's stopping you from writing a Caetla library, there's nothing special about having the code in ROM.

no, it's just that noone ever tried to... man it would be really handy! By the way, you wouldn't happen to have the caetla documentation somewhere? Haven't been able to find it
sad.gif

You were right, the Playstation tools don't work as they need to set up the task information (Sony put in a complete multi-tasking operating system in their ROM, you put in a CD player with an ugly, useless spaceship in yours. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY YOU FAILED NOW, SEGA?).

This is the only document I had on my machine, but it only describes the protocol extensions for Caetla 0.32. There were better documents on psxdev.de, but it's gone.

well, you can do some more than that (e.g. printing to the PC) but as far as I know it sure as hell ain't multitasking... unless multitasking means event handlers...

You can set up multiple execution threads. If you have the PsyQ docs, see the libknl section. Granted, it's cooperative, but still miles better than that stupid spaceship.

Agreed, I was quite surprised when I saw the spaceship. But I was even *more* surprised when I found out Sega hadn't included any useful bios functions :smash

Okay, I got ahold of some cash, so I now have a Action Replay, and my PC Coders card is on the way. lol. It was simply easyer to do that then build a stupid Parallel port hookup.

Nice. I really look forward to any Saturn translation projects, what you're doing is just damned cool. Good luck!

Hey Xev, did you ever get your Comms Link card? Oh yeah, and does anyone know what kind of method you'd have to use to patch the game?

Back