Stressed @ Work

racketboy

Established Member
Man, I have been so stressed the last few days at work trying to get this project done.

(Which explains why I'm not up to my normal post quota)

I just got the primilinary part done so I'm trying to de-fry my brain.

Hopefully the boss is happy with the file my program spit out.

But at least I get a breather until he gets back with me.

He has been bugging me for the file for that last few days and I finally have something to give him.

My body is almost shaking from the stress.

Just a little advise: never be a professional programmer -- deadlines and code don't mix well.

SOrry if I'm rambling.

Just had to blow some steam.

thanks for reading 🙂

i took a college course in c++ programming my junior year of High School..... disliked it. I couldn't imagine sitting there writing code all day....it was hard for me to do longer than an 1hr-1.5hrs. I gotta give ya props for what you are doing, programming is not an easy thing, hope all gets better though. If you are how I am....starting out is the hardest part, once u get the ball rolling it goes pretty well. Later.

yeah, the little bit of programming I've taken in college has convinced me that I definetly would not want to do it professionally.

Edit: ouch, just shot myself in the face with a rubberband on accident.

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 2, 2003 @ 04:10 AM

lemme just say I'm planning a career change down the line

have to finish school first though 🙁

That's exactly why I switched majors in my junior year. Couldn't be happier.

But I mean, it didn't take much convincing. I decided when the class I was in had only one assignment (broken into parts) for the semester: build a compiler. Imagine the fun.

I'm gonna finish my Computer Science degree (1 yr left).

But I'm planning on turning my minor (Graphic Design) into another degree.

If I could afford it and wasn't getting older and older I also go for commerical writing and broadcasting minors or something 🙂

So much stuff I'd like to learn

I decided when the class I was in had only one assignment (broken into parts) for the semester: build a compiler. Imagine the fun.

I used to think that building a compiler would be a journey through hell. It is now on my to-do list, but I'm still not clear on whether or not my opinion has changed. 😉

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Dec 3, 2003 @ 11:45 AM

I too am at work, the difference is... I have nothing to do right now.

I'm also at work, but I'm slacking off. 😀

I work in the mortgage industry, if I wasn't moving I'd continue to make more money than any of my friends, and do nothing all day, because the market isn't so great right now.

Ventriloquism.

Try ventriloquism.

Everyone is busy looking to the "career of the future". I say, this makes for an overcrowded market. Go for something completely unpopular, and you are SURE to get a good job.

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 3, 2003 @ 12:57 AM

Just a little advise: never be a professional programmer -- deadlines and code don't mix well.

I get used to it 😉

It's just a matter of organization ...

I'm a professional programmer for more than 5 years now, I saw a lot of different things, I got hard times too, but I'll not switch to something else ( wait ... game programming might be interesting, but that's still programming 😉 )

Many (I don't dare to say all) jobs will have deadlines.

And I agree that it is all a matter of organisation.

I believe that a little bit of stress make you more efficient, I personally like that little pressure over my head.

Without that I don't think you give the better of yourself ...

Originally posted by Reinhart@Dec 3, 2003 @ 09:13 AM

Many (I don't dare to say all) jobs will have deadlines.

And I agree that it is all a matter of organisation.

I believe that a little bit of stress make you more efficient, I personally like that little pressure over my head.

Without that I don't think you give the better of yourself ...

I don't mind deadlines.

But I don't think my brain is built to do code under pressure.

I'm not a born programmer as it is.

Heh, I know what you guys mean - when I was a kid, I often thought that being a coder sounded cool. I basically changed my mind when I started to realize that instead of coding for one's own fun and profit, you generally ended up working on mere functions of large pieces of software (although this often isn't the case).

I just got done with a stressful project myself. Had to do a bunch of legwork outside of work (though not on my own time - heh) to get it done, but finally its out the door. Kind of a fun project though - part of it included printing out a 16 foot Delorean. I have to feel sorry for my mom though - she seems to have one of the most stressful jobs around (producing TV spots).

Back