Stuck on Skies of Arcadia

racketboy

Established Member
Ok, I'm on the part of the first disc where I just beat the Red Giga and then won the ship battle against that undercover gypsie girl. The I'm supposed to sail through those reefs and then those tornado things. At Gamefaqs it says to go south and a cutscene will happen. I've wandered all around the southwest part of the map and no cutscene. Just lots of random battle. Getting a little frustrated. Can anyone tell me where on the map I need to go?

Ok, I can't give you exact directions, but you have to sail south thru a very windy section, where you will have to fight many many random encounters (a whole lot of loopers, to be specific). This is through the tornado area. Eventually you will hit a green continent (called Ixtaca if memory serves). There you will be able to dock and explore an inca-like village. If you haven't found it, make sure that you've gone through the entire turbulent section, and look around a bit. It's hard to miss, it should be right there when you get out. Look for a large mountain with a statue on top of it (that's not the town, but it is the most obvious landmark). Whatever you do, do not go back north again.

You have to go to the west?? Horteka?? I don't remember exactly. I finished it twice :)

After the red gigas, yes... you have to go to the South Sea, then to the west to Horteka.

It's very easy to get stuck at Ixa'taka. It's hard to get through the Southern Ocean, hard to find where to dock, and there are two more difficult things to find that you'll find out about soon enough.

It's hard to give exact directions, but the place to dock is near the very top of the sky. The town is deep in the forest, so you can barely see it from your ship. The only distinguishing marks on the island are a few small huts that blend in with the trees, and a boat. Even after you've found it, it might take a while to find the right place to dock. For some reason, it's really picky about that.

However, once you do find it, you'll have no trouble finding it again. Good luck.

hehe -- got past that part -- what a pain

still a great game though.

It's always my biggest complaint about RPGs is not knowing where to go. The need to pack more hints into the game.

heh, try playing through Might and Magic 2 on the Genesis.. unless you have the manual, it's really pretty difficult to figure out what the hell is going on.

Originally posted by racketboy@May 30, 2004 @ 04:59 PM

hehe -- got past that part -- what a pain

still a great game though.

It's always my biggest complaint about RPGs is not knowing where to go. The need to pack more hints into the game.

It's funny you should mention that cause I bet if the game constantly told you go here or there you'd be saying it was too linear.

Well at least it's not like beat it over your head subtle like FFX. At least here you're pretty free to explore but you still know where you're going since it's the only area you haven't been to.

Originally posted by gameboy900@May 31, 2004 @ 03:23 AM

Well at least it's not like beat it over your head subtle like FFX. At least here you're pretty free to explore but you still know where you're going since it's the only area you haven't been to.

That doesn't quite fits in SOA case... the Ixa'Taka part is nearly frustating. The South skies have insane random battles (and many, many enemies know that damned death spell) that get you DESESPERATE for a place for docking.

Also, they tell you to go south, when goddamned Ixa'Taka is at the bottom extreme left of the map. I spent lots of time trying to go south, and south, when I really had to go east after reaching south ocean. It's not a simple route when you're unfamiliar with the map and is being constantly distracted by lengthy random battles.

I know at least two people who quit playing the game when they got stuck at South Ocean.

I see the game designer's intention in showing the player that Ixa'taka is hard to reach for the first time, and thus why the people in the game don't know for sure it exists and only speculate. It suceeded in that. It also suceeded in making analogy to the first time Europeans sailed to the American continent: I only knew I'd find a continent there, but I didn't kne how far, nor how large it was, nor what exact directions I had to follow.

But it ended up very frustating. Maybe if they had some events/cutscenes/boss along the way, instead of simply throwing hundreds of random battles at the player.

Back