Stupid disk-swap mod

I don't know if anyone have posted anything like this before, but it works pretty nice, and i thought that someone might be helped by it.

I bought myself a Saturn a couple of month ago, I bought it believing that such an old system must have lots of modchips available. As you probably understand it was a 20pin model. When I couldn't find a modchip I started looking for alternatives. The idiotic swap-trick was all I could find, which slowly will ruin your system. I used it because I didn't care that much about the survival of my system, I just wanted to play the games. But after a couple of days of swaping I thought: What if I could cut the power to the CD-drive while I switch the disks, that would make things a lot easier. Easy said and done. I opened my system and found two cables connected to the cd-drive, except the 20pin flat-cable. One with only two wires and one with four wires. I traced the wires on the motherboard and found that the cable with only two wires was connected to the lid switch and the other cable was connected with ground and power. I cut the 9V power wire and connected a switch to it. It turned out great. Now it's real easy to swap disks. You don't get that much more time though. The access light starts "error-flashing" of the swap takes more than a couple of seconds.

I can't say if this will damage the saturn more or less than ordinary disk swapping (and personally I don't care that much) but it sure is a lot easier.

Attachments

• swapmod.jpg
    swapmod.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 260
  • swapmod.jpg
    swapmod.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 233
  • swapmod.jpg
    swapmod.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 234
I do have to say that is very interesting.

I wonder if it's better or worse for your system. If you could tell me, does the switch and turning off the power to the drive allow you to switch cds without having to stop the cd spinning by hand?

Na.. Sorry. You don't get that much more time to do the swap (maybe not any at all) and since the disk keeps turning because of momentum you have to stop the spinning by hand, but you do not have to work against the motor trying to turn the disk.

whoa that is a great idea!

i for one, dont personally think that a disc still spinning after its not powered will not damage it or wear it out. i do it all the time. however i think forcing the rotation to stop when its being powered does wear it out..

maybe you should make a picture tutorial for people with only alternatives of swapping disc on their saturns on how to make one like yours

Back