Successful 64pin mod!!

I have successfully modded my Model 2 64-pin IC Saturn!! Jandaman's chip works great! Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. ^_^

Sat-Mod---Top.jpg

I connected A and B with a solder bridge and soldered the 5V wire to the 5V metal piece off the power supply board.

5V-Wire.jpg

I had to twist the ribbon cable around over the top of the modchip. The cable is in the chip with the blue stripe facing up. This in turn caused the modchip to be at a slight slant, but it functions fine!

Mod-Chip---Top.jpg

65% of the time, the Saturn brings up the audio CD screen, but if I open the CD door and close it again, the "Start Application" button becomes available and the game starts up fine! This has worked 100% of the time for me when this happens. The rest of the time, backups boot up as if they were originals.

Thanks a lot Jandaman for the great chip!! It's the best!

I have the same issue. About 65% of time I get the CD audio menu. And it takes opening and closing to get the application menu.

I have modded my 64 pin sat in the exact same way also with jandaman's chip and I don't have this audio screen problem. Perhaps the ribbon cable is inserted not quite right, try pulling it out a tiny bit.

Things I can think of to try are (in no particular order):

- Find a closer place to get power, preferably a connection to a Vcc plane, and if posssible use thicker wire to connect it. Do the same for ground (there are grounds on the ribbon connector but they are probably only intended as signal grounds).

- Stick a bypass capacitor on the board if there's not one there already. Shouldn't need to be anything huge, just 0.1uF (100nF) or so. There's probably even a place on the board for it if it's like any I've seen, but if not you just have to connect one side of the capacitor to Vcc and the other side to ground (note: some capacitors are polarized, and connecting them backwards is a Bad Idea).

Your CDUnit setup looks exactly like mine. It make's me think I might be able to get a modchip working like yours is.

Good job alarix :)

Originally posted by harsky@Sat, 2004-08-21 @ 10:26 AM

Can anyone else confirm if this works?

[post=116449]Quoted post[/post]​

its much less then 65pecent to me :( I have to do the same thing with my originals as well.

Do any of you guys try using the 8th pin method?

I really just want a Saturn that I can put the chip into without having to do any of this stuff like opening/shutting the CD door. However, I think my Saturns happen to be 64-pin! :(

Let's hope the copy protection investigation goes well - it seems to be! :)

I'd like to see a better picture of the chip itself so I can verify that these chips are the same as mine.

I have a white 64 pin model 2 saturn and I followed these directions. But when I have the mod connected the disc doens't spin, and it gets hot!! Without the mod the saturn works fine. The mod has a black connector and now I'm trying to find one with a white connector. Did i fry the mod, or is it getting hot because its in a 64 pin saturn.

Thanks in advace for any help.

I also modded my 64 pin model but used the chip that takes 2 ribbon cables. Works a treat.

As for the resetting to get CD's to be read - remember it could be the CD laser that needs calibrating - I did this - turned the screw a notch and everything works beutifully - even rw's

LE

and now a complete different story...

I got my mod from mal, it looks kinda the same as the one pictured in this thread (the one from jamdaman)

so I follow the instructions an put it into my PAL 21/64 Cable/Chip Saturn...

now comes the funny part...

if I insert an orignal sega saturn game disc close the tray and turn it on, the saturn comes up with the CD Player Screen and the line "checking disc format" after a few seconds the screen turns black the CD keeps spining and nothing happens, BUT if i put in the same CD and leave the tray open and wait till the CD Player screen shows up and then close the tray, the disc starts spinning the line "CHecking disc format" appears and after a few seconds the "Start Application" buttons becomes available and I can start the game....

and now if I do the same with a back up (first starting up, then closing the tray) it also starts spinning but after a few seconds shows the "disc not suitable for this system" line :( (the back ups worked fine with swap!!!)

anyone got an Idea what the hell is going on?

Originally posted by lazereyes@Mon, 2005-07-18 @ 08:09 AM

Is it disc for the same region as your system ?

If not , patch it with SRP

[post=136851]Quoted post[/post]​

of course it is...

the second I disconnect the Chip I can boot all of them with the Hot Swap....

If alarix is about id just like to thankyou seeing your success finally got me to properly have a go at moddding my 64 pin saturn and it works although i have the same problem where i need to open the lid and close it for it to read the disc.

ALso did u have any problem with the tv being turned onto standby when the saturn logo appears and when games load?

Thankyou very much

Lid

BTW i used a modchip from http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/ incase people thought it was only jandermans which worked

Can I see a pic of your saturn's rear lable? I have a 20 pin MK80000 with SY after Sega Enterprises Ltd., and a 21 pin MK80000A with a IV (64pin :() after the Sega Enterprises Ltd. (The site listed by lid230 is now selling 20-pin chips :blink: I'd get that one, but my model one Saturn is ALL scratched up (witch is nothing compared to the inside, the mobo shield has a misquito singed onto it :flamethrower:

Originally posted by porky145@Sat, 2005-07-09 @ 08:21 AM

I have a white 64 pin model 2 saturn and I followed these directions. But when I have the mod connected the disc doens't spin, and it gets hot!! Without the mod the saturn works fine. The mod has a black connector and now I'm trying to find one with a white connector. Did i fry the mod, or is it getting hot because its in a 64 pin saturn.

Thanks in advace for any help.

[post=136508]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds to me like it's fried, but there may be hope yet! Did it get hot enough to burn your hand or smell? If it didn't it may still work, but I dought it. MAKE SURE you go to the 5V contact.

Back