Swapping Problems

Well, I can usually swap a burned or Import disc on the first or second try with my Model 2 US Saturn, but it just isn't working anymore.

Here is what I do:

I put in the import/burned disc

I turn on the power

I let it read the disc just before the saturn symbol totally appears

I swap to Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, etc.

I let it spin

Then let spin slow

Then let spin really fast for about 3/4 second

Then I change back to the burned disc and it loads the sega screen then starts the game

It doesn't do that anymore. I do exactly what I usually do, but instead of the screen going into the game it just stays on the black sega screen. Every once in a while I can get a burned/import game to work, but it's not working very well anymore. Help?

Oh, and if you say to get it modded then please give me a link or some place where I can buy some kind of mod chip or peripheral or something.

Thanks.

YOur saturn system may be dying, I had that problem with an old swapping system, started working like crap, so I gave it a rest. Maybe even you have to do a double swap, if you hear the laser moving and nothing happening when its on the sega screen, try another swap. sometimes depending on the system and game you have to perform a double swap. its annoying but gets the job done.

Do you mean to try another swap after the first white saturn screen or the black saturn screen?

Oh, and I am thinking of buying a mod chip or a pre-modded saturn. What is the most reliable site that you would recommend buying something like that from?

Thanks for the info.

Peace.

Thanks. Because of that I seem to be able to get a few of the games to work, but not too many. I think it could be the disc that I use to swap with. I usually use Virtua Fighter 2 or Daytona USA. Since they might not have enough tracks for certain games would it matter which discs I use to swap with? It just seems weird to me because they worked before and now they don't. Eh, whatever.

Anyway, I've been hearing good things about that site as well. I just visited it today and found a Saturn Satellite. Would that help play burned games or would it only help in playing JPN/PAL games?

(Edited by YelloMichael at 7:00 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

Anyway, I've been hearing good things about that site as well. I just visited it today and found a Saturn Satellite. Would that help play burned games or would it only help in playing JPN/PAL games?
The Satellite will not bypass the copy protection to let you play backups, it only bypasses the country lock to let you play import (e.g., JPN/PAL) games.

Is it worth paying $8.00 USD for? I guess I really should just get my system modded right? Can someone supply a link that would tell me the locations of import shops in the US. I need to go to a place and get my system modded before I kill it.

Thanks for all the help guys. Oh, and a few more questions. I am planning on buying a modchip board from either www.lan-kwei.com or www.liksang.com and I needed to know something about it. I have no idea how to solder wires and I do not have the eqipment or materials to do so. Someone on another message board said this:

"A week ago I bought and installed a modchip from lik-sang.com. It's so easy to fit, I even did it without soldering (it's just 2 wires). It allows me to play CD-r and imports without the swaptrick."

So my question is this; can I install a mod chip that I order from one of those sites without soldering anything? Also, if I did install it does that mean I would only be able to play US CD-Rs? (Could I just use satconv.exe to fix that problem?) Thinking of using electical tape if I don't solder, I guess that will work.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back to post my updates.

(Edited by YelloMichael at 11:18 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

So my question is this; can I install a mod chip that I order from one of those sites without soldering anything?

It's probably possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. From what I've heard, the power supply wire does okay without being soldered, but I wouldn't trust the clock connection that way. The sad thing is, if we're to trust the silkscreened component layout, these boards don't really need an external clock signal, but they decided to leave out the components that would generate it onboard.

Also, if I did install it does that mean I would only be able to play US CD-Rs? (Could I just use satconv.exe to fix that problem?)

That's correct - the copy protection and country code are completely separate (well, they both come over the CD interface, so in theory a board could do both). You could also wire up a territory switch or use one of the many carts that bypasses the territory check (I recommend the EMS Action Replay 4M Plus, just because it does so much other cool stuff too :))

Thinking of using electical tape if I don't solder, I guess that will work.

I doubt it will work reliably, but I also don't think it's too likely to hurt anything (though you can be assured that it's generally a better idea to assume that a flailing wire will eventually go where it shouldn't). Might as well try it, I guess...

It is possible to tape the signal wire into place rather than solder it, but I wouldn't think it would be too reliable.

The power wire is much easier to attach without soldering.

However keep in mind that the wires on mods tend to be short and may need replacing or lengthening.

It won't let you play imports either.

Thanks, the info helps me out a lot. I just need one more thing and I will be on my way to modding my saturn. How much do soldering irons cost and where is the easiest place to get one? I also need a link or two on tutorials on how to solder. Heck, if I learn how to do this I will be able to mod all of my friend's systems for free, as long as they supply the boards. So don't look at your assisting me as just helping one gamer, look at it as helping a gaming community, or....er....something like that. =p

Thanks again everyone. Peace.

"I'll be back"

There's a bunch of good advice at this place, but soldering is not something you can properly learn just by reading a webpage - you'll need to practice on some stuff before you even think about adding molten metal to your favorite game console...

Back