SX and TW - what to do?

Originally posted by dibz@Sun, 2006-04-16 @ 03:43 PM

Here's the layout in action (partially) of the screenshot I posted before, using the vgx domain (it's sx though).

Segaxtreme Layout

The forums are horribly broken since they haven't had their templates modified, and my icon set I made isn't in use yet. Be sure to check out the +/- menu link under the header. It also needs some tweaks for IE for positioning yet.

[post=145723]Quoted post[/post]​

Perfect design !!! :thumbs-up: :cheers

What about the new look of SX, that vbt has been working on? I liked that very much...have you dropped that, vbt?

Good idea, anyone feel like working on a new SX logo? I can do it as well. Also vbt's layout was good, it shouldn't be too hard to turn into a seperate template if he has it as html -- the last time I saw it it was a parser/wrapper, which wouldn't work well load wise. But a template would work fine, which I can whip up as an alternative that is selectable.

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2006-04-11 @ 01:47 PM

I'd say just drop Tendoweb altogether. It doesn't get much traffic at all, and merging the two into a generic video game site would no doubt take away the flavor and make traffic decrease over time.

[post=145642]Quoted post[/post]​

:agree Tendoweb's subject matter involves quite a bit of current gen stuff and besides the whole Sega vs. Nintendo element, it is like the polar opposite of SegaXtreme which seems to be frquented by nostalgic Sega fans that rarely play mainstream videogames anymore. It's kind of like having a Sega museum, then in the same building, you go through a door and you're on the set of a Nintendo morning talk show. I strongly urge vbt and dibz to drop all the other -Xtreme sites (assuming 3DOXtreme hasn't already been dropped), and focus on SX which is still a totally unique gaming site.

Originally posted by dibz@Sun, 2006-04-16 @ 07:43 AM

Here's the layout in action (partially) of the screenshot I posted before, using the vgx domain (it's sx though).

Segaxtreme Layout

The forums are horribly broken since they haven't had their templates modified, and my icon set I made isn't in use yet. Be sure to check out the +/- menu link under the header. It also needs some tweaks for IE for positioning yet.

[post=145723]Quoted post[/post]​

Nice, however, some color choices and graphics need work. Integrate logo better or a new one is needed. I think a modernized version of the current logo would be perfect. Color choices need work, mainly the nasty gray used a lot in the menu and content.

I'm guessing this is nowhere near finished but the forum is incredibly ugly and has a ton of wasted space and huge fonts. vBulletin 3.5 takes a lot of cusomization to make it look decent.

Also, the left menu has way too much stuff in it which makes it difficult to find anything. I'm not really sure why there needs to be a menu on the left and top. My preference would be to have a minimal number of sections at the top, while the left menu can have specific information and links relating to the section.

Overall idea is nice, I like that the site is getting a modern CSS layout, but it needs modern style to go along with it and usability improvements.

I like that new layout dibz, really brings sx into the present in terms of web design. The layout now gets the job done, but its really starting to show its age in design terms.

The whole tendo web thing can probably go, The main draw here is obvously Sega, and unless you can come up with a really imaginative and unique way to blend the two without losing the identity of sx its prbably better to focus on what weve got going for us.

Organizing all the technical data would be great, there is tons of info burried in the forums and if you could find a way (wiki or other) to gather and display it all in an easy way that would really make this place standout. There is probably more tech info here on Sega stuff than any place else on the net.

Finally id just like to say thanks to dibs and vbt taking over sx, it would be a shame to see it go down for any reason. Im sure I speak for us all when I see I appreciate all the work you guys are doing to improve/upgrade the site. Oh and of course thanks to ice for starting the whole thing off/ :cool:

Say zero 9, most of the layout problems you mentioned I actually mentioned in a previous post, the vBulletin theme almost hasn't been touched, and is why it looks so horrendous. Also, the menu of the forums on the left is bad due to that one being actually designed for a different layout for a different site. It's actually an old import. The menu you suggest is exactly what they are set up to do, you just can't see it yet because it hasn't been done yet. The top menu moves between the specific sections, and the left will serve only relevant information to that section. The +/- button is for the users that don't need that and simply want to see the content (more space). I personally like the grey, however there is no reason there can't be multiple options since it would only require a swap of the css file along with 1 different graphic.

Also I already have wiki (for the dev section) and gallery set up for the new site, and fit in the theme nicely. I will add the links to them to that temporary domain when they are more complete, as right now they are quite a bit more broken then the vb install. Also, the tendoweb thing, not sure what to do about that site. I am fairly certain we will keep it completely seperate, not sure about dumping it or not, but I think we are going to concentrate on SX for the time being.

Back