The 10 Worst-Selling Consoles of All Time

It was funny how many MS/Sony fanboys were posting back and forth that each others console was gonna make that list. Even with how slow the PS3 is selling, it won't make that list. Push comes to shove, Sony will ax the price to sell units. They aren't worried, yet.

32x should definately have not been on the list, since it was an add-on only and not a full-fledged console. Also, I question whether or not the sega cd should have been there too. I can think of atleast three other consoles that probably should be there in their place:

Neo Geo

Neo Geo CD

Amiga cd32

Would you call the Multi-Mega a unique console? Perhaps that should've been on the list.

I don't even know how many variations there were, but I do know there was a pioneer laseractive w/sega pac module, jvc x'eye, multimega, some japanese sega cd built into a portable radio, probably a bootleg or two.

The thing is - as far as I know, all of the stand-alone systems used both cartridges and cds. Maybe, in general, they should be on the list, but if you really dig down into gaming history, you'll see that most gaming systems only have one way to play games, atleast built into the systems. You either have carts, cds, or dvds. Sure, some may have parallel ports or expansion ports (saturn, the first ps1s) - I just don't see any successful gaming system rely on two different formats. Maybe I'm wrong.

If we wanted to go with multi-format systems, the Adam coleco would probably have been very close to the least sold systems. From what I gather, it only sold 93,000 units, and 60% of those were returned as defective. So, only around 30,000 units were really kept in households.

It's really weird how so many video game companies can claim they were actually unsuccessful in console X, Y , or Z though, even if they've sold several millions of consoles.

The PS2 had CD and DVD games. That was pretty successful. I personally don't think the expansion devices should be listed. Also, I'm sure there are other system Game Pro missed. I think they were only going after the big names. Ones were the majority would recognize either the manufacture or the system.

I kind of can see Seaman. But Night Trap and Earthworm Jim for the SCD? What about Lunar 1 and 2 or Dark Wizard?

They forgot about the Bandai WonderSwan and GamePark32.

They didn't sell ANY of those over here in the US, hehe.

One thing I do not get is why the dreamcast is on that list. I know it didnt do well but it broke so many records on release... and dreamcasts are still continuing to be sold in japan. And I do agree that the 32x and CD should not be considered consoles in themselves as they are add ons for the genesis. Without a genesis you can not play any 32x or cd games. They shouldnt just consider US sales and take worldwide sales (feels us orientated).

to quote the article in the first paragraph:

"Other lesser-known consoles are sure to have sold worse, but the below represent the notable platforms that never met expectations."

We could name a ton of lesser known consoles that didn't fair as well.

The VIS for instance (lets see who knows that one). Or others already stated like the GP32, Wonderswan, or how abouts NES add ons like that aladdin thing that turned it into a 16-bit console supposedly (i think that is what its called).

Or shit, if we went to the 80's with all the jr. PCs... they'd probably maul these figures in minisculity. They state clearly though that there list is merely a list of notable consoles that didn't sell well, or as well as hoped. Which inherently is going to have bias because what is to call a system notable. The TG-16 could be considered notable by many, but not by others who've never even heard of it even when it was out (90% of gamers in my area who consider themselves hardcore don't even know what it is, or even who NEC is). So debating which consoles should or shouldn't be on the list, why not just relate the inherent bias and remember one big thing:

IT'S GAMEPRO! Have we ever listened to them?

lordofduct said:
IT'S GAMEPRO! Have we ever listened to them?

You are right it is GAMEPRO. I have seen a few other of their lists and articles and have been like what the fuck, do they even know what they are talking about.

With regards to "notable platforms that never met expectations" how does breaking sales records pre playstation 2 as well as being one of sega's most successful hardware units make it a notable platform that never met expectations?

Amon said:
You are right it is GAMEPRO. I have seen a few other of their lists and articles and have been like what the fuck, do they even know what they are talking about.

With regards to "notable platforms that never met expectations" how does breaking sales records pre playstation 2 as well as being one of sega's most successful hardware units make it a notable platform that never met expectations?

I do not deny the Dreamcast it's amazing records on release date. But the bias of Gamepro stands that despite such accolades, it failed in the long run in the majority of the world.

And any online list of failure consoles always have to have Dreamcast, you probably can't find one with out it, post Dreamcast death. Atleast they were smart enough to leave it at 10 and not 1.

Yet they always forget to mention. THEY STILL MAKE GAMES FOR THE DREAMCAST!

Back