The Autobahn & The Volkswagen Company

Apparently, they were both founded by Adolf Hitler, the Nazi Leader. I heard this in my Critical Thinking class...my prof told me about this... Wow... didn't know this

I heard the Beetle was initally a collaboration between Hitler and Porsche, but that it became a government project when Hitler came to power. All in all, didn't find it too shocking...

Quote: from JCTango on 12:52 am on Mar. 17, 2002

Apparently, they were both founded by Adolf Hitler, the Nazi Leader. I heard this in my Critical Thinking class...my prof told me about this... Wow... didn't know this

Doesn't Volkswagen mean "People's Car" or something like that? It was meant to be a car that everyone could afford.

Yea, the company was founded with hitlers approval. Also BMW, and several other car manufacturers, and technology companies (IBM for one) helped develop technology and weaponry for germany during world war 2, and how did they get the labor for this? Jews, Gypsies, etc. Several books out on the subject at the moment.

...so would we, the customers, who purchase Volkswagen products, be supporting the Nazis? hehe... even though they are long gone? :|

Persecution has always been a means to profit...It's history's lesson.

Everything you take for granted was built with the lives of people you never met, so don't worry about how many people died in the computer mines back in the 1800's.

Quote: from JCTango on 2:42 pm on Mar. 17, 2002

...so would we, the customers, who purchase Volkswagen products, be supporting the Nazis? hehe... even though they are long gone? :|

The customers buying Volkswagen Products now are not supporting nazis since the money isn't use for nazi purposes.

The bad thing is that nazis aren't long gone...their still there..

you;ll see a LOT of conservative jewish people still ACTIVELY avoiding german-made cars today. and many koreans who avoid japanese-made cars. but as jedah said the money does not go toward nazis so why bother.

The reason a lot of people avoid these companies is that they actively deny ever have done anything that they did during the war. They pretend they never used slave labor for their gain, which is wrong.

See, building up these companies were what got Hitler his power.. He took a country in complete ruin after the treaty of versaille, turned it into an economic powerhouse, impervious even to the great depression, and he did it by building military equipment.

And, actually last year VW (i believe it was them) and BMW and some other companies (Singer, Bosch, #### cant remember) settled a huge class-action lawsuit, in which they basically admitted to and apologized for using forced labor during WWII, and payed big bucks to holocaust survivors and various anti-defamation organizations.

it *was* a world war, btw. Where do you think all those tanks and planes and ships and whatnot came from?

Mercedes, ford, chrystler, etc etc etc all profited off the war in a big way too. (America did virtually nothing but profit off the first world war). Everyone made money off WW2, thats what ended the great depression. (oversimplification, sure, but valid enough)

America also interned 1000s of asian-americans and used them for labor.

Thing is, war is ####, whether yer a nazi or not. Its just that history is written by the victors, thats why axis powers using forced labor was evil and allies using it was a 'regrettable wartime necessity'. (not defending nazi beliefs, just pointing out the inherent hypocrisy)

Back