The Backup Ram Cart

Dud

Established Member
I've got a pretty decent Sega CD collection started. What games take up a lot of memory, such that you have to have a backup cart like everyone says? I really don't want to spend 40-70 bucks on one of those things unless, when I start playing Lunar I have to delete all the other saves from the memory to play it. Can I get by without it, even if I plan on playing all the Working Designs RPGs?

Well, the Sega CD has a teeny amount of save space, so if you want to play all the RPGs (and like to keep your saves, which I do, even though I rarely go back and restart from any of them), you'll probably want the cart.

I think you can fit all the WD game saves onto the sega cd memory, at least if you don't have multiple saves for the same game. If you're wondering which games take up a lot of space, I recall Jurassic Park had a dinosaur-sized save file. of course, you can always just play it on an emulator and not worry about save files.

I found that after playing 5-6 various games I was out of save space. If you plan on keeping your saves for long periods of time it's a good investment.

Lunar 1 takes up 40 I think, and Lunar 2 I believe was only like 14. But unless you're just going to play just those two games, you're going to want a RAM cart if you keep your saves. I'm glad I bought mine when I did, only cost me $20.

Looks like I'll have to buy one. :damn: If only I could bring myself to delete finished game saves. :wanker

I actually got mine for free. When I got my JVC X'eye, he had a memory card included. I spent $30 total for both.

If I'm correct you can't complete Shining Force CD without a memorycard because it takes more memory than the SegaCD has to the end of the game.

Not really. You can't access 3rd story, since you need completed data for 1st & 2nd and each ones takes almost all of Sega CD's internal memory. But you still can beat 1st & 2nd ones :)

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Feb 29, 2004 @ 07:09 PM

I really should get around to making that utility to backup and restore the internal backup RAM.

Hmmm.. just a thought..

But I wonder if it would be possible to make a "utility" written to a CD that would "compress" game save files much like the "Game Guru" CD did for the 3DO.. thereby making "more space" in the internal memory?

Me.. I actually have a still sealed; in-the-box Sega CD back-up RAM cart I bought off of eBay years back. I just can't seem to bring myself to even open it. I don't play the SCD all that much.. so the internal memory has always been more than enough for me.. so far.

Originally posted by scorch56@Mar 9, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

Me.. I actually have a still sealed; in-the-box Sega CD back-up RAM cart I bought off of eBay years back. I just can't seem to bring myself to even open it. I don't play the SCD all that much.. so the internal memory has always been more than enough for me.. so far.

20 years from now you'll open it up and it'll be empty. Factory sealed my &$*! Lousy ebay!

Someone sounds like they had a bad experience with ebay. When I worked at gamestop, I would reseal cd's,dvd's, or anything else I needed to, just so I could return it for a full refund.

Originally posted by scorch56@Mar 9, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

But I wonder if it would be possible to make a "utility" written to a CD that would "compress" game save files much like the "Game Guru" CD did for the 3DO.. thereby making "more space" in the internal memory?

It should be possible, the BIOS routine that writes to the internal memory is stored in RAM, but you'd have to start the machine up with the disc with the compression routine and swap the discs every time you wanted to play a game. Also, I think it might use some form of compression already (though probably only a limited algorithm) so I'm not sure how much would be gained.

Originally posted by Alexvrb+Mar 9, 2004 @ 08:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ Mar 9, 2004 @ 08:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-scorch56@Mar 9, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

20 years from now you'll open it up and it'll be empty. Factory sealed my &$*! Lousy ebay![/b][/quote]

Nah.. I'm pretty sure it's legit. Notice I didn't say it was "shrink-wrapped". Both ends of the box are sealed with clear adhesive stickers with the Sega logo embossed on them (As I recall. It's in storage and I haven't looked at it for quite some time.); much like the ones that used to seal PC game boxes (Do they still? It's been soooo long since I bought a PC game.). They haven't been tampered with; and to counterfeit these seals would be a LOT of trouble.

Remember it was bought YEARS ago.. when MOST eBayers were honest.

Back