The frustration!!

Actually, I don't test the mods before hand

Try grabbing an iso off usenet in the saturn group. Those are usually in bin/cue format which you burn using nero or cdrwin

The other option to try it bridging 0019 (if you know what that means)

I thought the AB bridge only works with 64 pin saturns??

One problem I had was the twisted cabling and having to install the modchip with the chips facing outwards which is different than what I've seen in pictures.

I can send you another chip to try if you've tried the above steps with no luck

Originally posted by jandaman@Jul 1, 2003 @ 04:41 PM

I thought the AB bridge only works with 64 pin saturns??

The only Saturn I've seen that the 'A+B method' doesn't work on is a 32 pin Japanese one that has a CD board without a timing crystal.

One problem I had was the twisted cabling and having to install the modchip with the chips facing outwards which is different than what I've seen in pictures.

That would be the case if he was modding a 64 pin Saturn.

32 pin Saturns don't have the twist in the cable.

If you've got mods that do work in 64 pin Saturns, I might be ordering some soon.
biggrin.gif

I sent forum member SegaSquad a modchip to try on his 64 pin Saturn since the one he bought before (from another retailer) did not work.

I'm sure he'll have a review soon.

I've sold quite a few of these with very few complaints which either means it works on all Saturns or for those that it did not work on, they haven't bothered contacting me back. I had a couple customers where it did not work but a replacement seemed to do the job. However, I guess I should have followed up to see if that solved the issue.

I just got a couple more Saturns that I hope to start modding tomorrow or soon. I'll post the results.

I did mod my first saturn. At the time I had 2 different manufacturers modchip but I didn't keep track of which one worked, doh!

for the 00014 and 0019 trick, i see where the 2 plates are on the mod chip and wanted to know if i need to solder wires there or just bridge them together with solder, where does the blue wire go when i do that. and jandaman, i just wanted you to know that i do trust you, thats why i bought from you. i have no idea why i cant get this to work i have been trying different methods. as for sending a new chip to try i will not give up on this one yet and how much would the chip cost. my email is fvo_00@yahoo.com if you prefer to contact me that way.

i tried the 0014 0019 thing and it still only plays music tracks. i soldered a bridge conected both plates then i soldered the end of the blue wire to the B plate, that variation didnt work so i kept 0014 and 0019 bridged but i soldered the blue wire to the 14th pin and it still only plays music. are there any other variations i can try if not i think that the chip is bad?

OK, let's get back to basics.

Take the mod out. Confirm that the Saturn still works OK without the mod.

Make sure that there are no shorts anywhere on the modboard, whether it be solder or the legs of ICs.

Then, install the mod with the 'A+B' points connected and the 0014 bridge in place. Try an original.

Let us know how this goes.

It's really best if you try one thing at a time.

i already tested it and the system works without the mod. i want to make sure i am doing the right thing, do i solder A(where the blue wire starts) to B and solder the blue wire to oo14. can u tell me what do so i know i have it connected right. sorry to ask all this stuff but i just want to make sure i have it connected right.

You do not solder any wire to 0014
blink.gif

The 0014/0019 bridge is just that, a bridge.

Crappy ASCII to follow...

Code:
0014 common 0019

[]  []   []

You use this in one of two positions. You either have the 0014 and common connected or 0019 and common connected.

The reason I wanted you to retest the Saturn without the mod is to start from scratch. As if you've just started modding it. By doing it this was it should be easier to narrow down the problem.

If you don't do these things in the steps that you're asked to, it makes it very hard to troubleshoot.

Bridge 0014 to the common point and stop worrying about it.

Join the 'A+B' points with wire or just a blob of solder.

Attach the power wire (red?) to a 5v tap on your PSU.

Insert the ribbon cable into the modboard, insert the modboard into the mainboard and insert the ribbon cable into the CD board.

Let us know how you go after doing that.

well i bridged 0014 to the coomon and soldered the other end of the blue to B while the other end is on A, where it alwyas had been. loaded a regular game just fine then i put in a new cd-r i burned yesterday(straight copy on cdrwin) and only loaded music tracks then it only did that for a real game. same exact problem i had in the first place. maybe i should just put a blob of solder for A+B. or maybe bridge the coomon to 0019 rather than 0014.

ok no use, here are all the variations i tried

1) A+B bridge and 0019 to common

2) A+B bridge and 0014 to common

3) blue to 14th pin and 0014 to common

4)blue to 14th pin and 0019 to common

none worked for me, except for procces 4, well kind of. it will play regular games with that set up even after i test a cd-r but it wont play cd-r's which defeats the purpose of a mod. i feel like i game getting closer to this working but i still am a frustrated man. thanks for the help all of you have been giving me. maybe its just the mod chip because i think altogether i tried every process in the book and they all have failed. fortunately jandaman has been cool about it and is sending me a replacement to se how that fairs. if it doesnt work then it must mean my system is incompatible with mod chips or at least the most common right now. i have a later model U.S. saturn with the round buttons and no glossy front plating and it has the 32 pin chip. just felt like restating that becasue i think it is supposed to work with that kind of system.

The fact that the original works first, then a CDR doesn't and then the original doesn't either is a mystery. Usually if a mod isn't working it won't even run originals. :huh

Whether A+B are connected by wire or a blob of solder should be irrelevant.

You can try changing the bridge to 0019... I'm not sure if it will help.

I just can't understand why you can boot an original once and not have it work after booting a CDR.
huh.gif

ya i knew that a wire or blob would probably not make a difference but the weird thing about this that with step for it will now consistently play real games although it wont play cd-r's. this really sucks but the only good thing coming out of this is that i am becoming more learned in this subject and have been a testing ground for others but for me if i cant this too work i feel like all i have done has been completely futile.

I suppose this is a stupid question, but are you sure that your disc image is the correct region? Are you sure that the disc image you are using is even good? Perhaps you should try copying one of your games that is working and try that?

i am like 5 steps ahead of, the first blank cd i was using was a converted iso of world heroes perfect and i thought maybe that was a bad copy so i did a stright copy of wwf in your house, yes a crappy game but it should work, and have been testing the mod with that the last 2 or 3 days.

I still say check those legs on the modchip and inspect to see if any metal is coming into contact with another leg...

Weird stuff can happen if it is.

Hi, I'm newby too and had almost the same problem.

I do have a Saturn with 32 pins, and got my MODchip in gamegizmo(RIP) and got a PAR 4M by Lik-sang. It worked like Heaven but without a notice it never loaded an original Vampire Savior and then it didn't read a thing at all! :huh

Then I took out the MOD and works perfectly with my originals, then I put the MOD again and nothnig! It continued to get straight to the Music Tracks, no matter it is backup or original.
sad.gif

I got a Japanese Saturn and switched the 21 pin ribbon and still didn't work, but the Japanese Saturn DID work with the other ribbon...

I'm not too involved in electronics, so I have two questions:

1) How can I know what's going on?

2) How can I MOD my Japanese Saturn?

Thanks for your answers...
wink.gif

Back