The Obsidian emulator

I just got hold of the megadrive emulator for Dreamcast and tried it a couple of times. That which made me very happy was that it was virtually perfect graphically and fast, but the sound wasn't as good. It wasn't just the soundeffects that were bad, it was the music too but it varied from time to time.

What I wonder is; Is there someone who knows if there's any way to solve the sound issues via the options available in the emulator? Or perhaps know of a better megadrive emulator for my sweet DC
wink.gif

I use it.....and from what i've herad...it's just a bad hack of the sega smash pack on the DC.......some games work better then others, sonic 2 has NO sound! (so don't even go there!!!)

...i don't know why no-one has ported Gens yet......it's become Open source...... :smash

I wouldn't say a bad hack, since the music and fx are WAY better than on

the smashpack, but still as you say....someone should port Gens to DC...please
rolleyes.gif

It won't happen - Gens is too tied to the PC architecture for it to be ported with anything resembling speed and useability left intact. Even on it's native platform, you need a fairly hefty processor (relatively speaking) to get it playable.

I think someone ported DGen to Dreamcast, only to find that it ran at something like 6fps. I think there's also a semi-abandoned port of Generator to DC that has slightly better performance.

Originally posted by Curtis@Apr 29, 2003 @ 03:01 AM

Even on it's native platform, you need a fairly hefty processor (relatively speaking) to get it playable.

Megadrive/Genesis

Minimum System: Recommended System:

* Pentium 200Mhz+ * Pentium II 300 Mhz or above

* 32Mb of Ram * 32Mb of Ram or more

* 2Mb Video Card with DirectDraw * A good video card like a TNT

Support in 15/16bpp mode * Win9X/2000/ME/XP

* Win9X/2000/ME/XP * DirectX 7.0 or above

* DirectX 7.0 or above

....so a 200mhz CPU (MIN)/300+ (REC.) is 'relatively speaking', 'fairly hefty' ???
huh.gif

INFO SOURCE......GENS Read me file!

ExCyber Posted on Apr 29, 2003 @ 04:59 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think someone ported DGen to Dreamcast, only to find that it ran at something like 6fps. I think there's also a semi-abandoned port of Generator to DC that has slightly better performance.

well from my exp. with the generator emu....it give off a evil blue flashing screen that sent my mum into a fit like seizure!
angry.gif

Given that the min CPU speed is something like 20 times the speed of the processor it is emulating, and given that some of the older DOS emulators were perfectly playable on a pentium 90, then relatively speaking that is a fairly hefty processor requirement.
smile.gif

ok the obsididian genesis emulator is just a patch of echelons original hacked smash pack loader it changed the menus to have biger font and changed some stuff with the file saving...

I wouldn't say a bad hack, since the music and fx are WAY better than on

the smashpack, but still as you say....someone should port Gens to DC...please

1. the music and fx are exactly the same nothing different the entire thing is just a hack of the origional(sega instead of porting the games for the smash pack just created an emulator and didnt do a very good job with the sound) still the bad sound i dont know what ur thinking because they didnt change any coding with the actual emulator... but hey ur still playing genesis games at full speed on ur dc...

2. ill quote Xylene from dc emu about Gens "Its all x86 ASM, which is not portable to dreamcast."

I use it.....and from what i've herad...it's just a bad hack of the sega smash pack on the DC.......some games work better then others, sonic 2 has NO sound! (so don't even go there!!!)

i am 99% sure that sonic 2 has sound it could be that u have a bad rom id go test right now but its kinda late and im going to sleep...

For the different settings in it here they are

"Graphics MODE0 - Standard, Fastest video mode settings

Graphics MODE1 - Slower, Supports some extra features

Graphics MODE2 - Slowest, Includes Window Layers (Used by some games)

Graphics MODE4 - Same as MODE0 with background skewing

Frame SKIP0 - No Sprite Skipping until maximum reached

Frame SKIP1 - Moderate Sprite Skipping, used to prevent major slowdown

Frame SKIP2 - Maximum Sprites Skipped

Sound Mode 0 (SOUND0) - Standard Sound Emulation

Sound Mode 1 (SOUND1) - Sound Tempo Increased

You must try all of these settings for every ROM you play to find the best one

These settings are toggle-able in our menu system:

To Change the Graphics Mode - Press the X button

To Change the Frame Skip Mode - Press the Y button

To Change The Sound Mode - Press The B Button"

Back