The PSP/DS Thread

Less and more, depending on what you're pointing to. Remember the video playback was only supposed to be 2 1/2 hours. Also, I assumed that you wouldn't get 8 hours gaming if you only got 10 hours of music playback.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 07:06 PM

yep, and the only time i ever played mine was when i could plug in (to either a wall or a cigarrete lighter)

[post=122537]Quoted post[/post]​

me too, until my ac adapter died :(

My battery pack for my GG was working great up until about last year. Can't hold a charge anymore. Have to get another one at some point...

Huh? They didn't even mention the battery life.

I'm skeptical of it too, although most of my concerns are durability related.. mainly whether the drive will hold up, but also scratches and the like. Although I must say, the screen quality looks amazing.

There's a lot of potential here. Only time will tell whether or not they're savvy enough to realize it.

It looks great to everyone except -

1. Nintendo fanboys

2. Sony haters

3. "Retro" gamers (except Vampire fans)

"They" meaning practically the whole world?

Right, because there are sooo many other portables out there using discs right now.

edit - on a side note, does anyone know what kind of processor the PSP is using? I'm not too keen on memory sticks, but if it's beefy enough to emulate all the 16-bit systems (including Neo Geo), I might be more interested. I'm sure it won't be long before someone figures out a way to run code off a stick, especially if Sony is doing this themselves.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 03:19 PM

Right, because there are sooo many other portables out there using discs right now.

edit - on a side note, does anyone know what kind of processor the PSP is using? I'm not too keen on memory sticks, but if it's beefy enough to emulate all the 16-bit systems (including Neo Geo), I might be more interested. I'm sure it won't be long before someone figures out a way to run code off a stick, especially if Sony is doing this themselves.

No darling, I was referring to how "popular" optical media is worldwide, not only on portables.

Setting a limit like 128Mb for current game developers/games is laughable, 1.8Gb seems much more "interesting", even with load-times.

And regarding the processor, I believe it is a MIPS R4000 @ 333MHz.

Hmm. Considering the topic of discussion is, in fact, a portable system, the fact that the battery life, load time, and durability considerations are directly related to the optical drive, and the fact that the statement you were replying to originally concerned these issues, I don't see how the popularity of optical drives in non-portable systems is really relevant. I mean, wow, fan cooling is popular in consoles as well, so maybe the PSP should utilize that feature also?

Personally, I'd like to see a portable designed for gaming that uses a hard drive as the primary storage device. That would alleviate many reliability concerns for me, and would probably consume about the same amount of juice as an optical drive. Apple, are you listening to me? Okay, I know it won't happen, but it would be cool anyway.

That processor sounds sufficient for most of my emulation needs, though, so that's a plus.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 03:43 PM

Hmm. Considering the topic of discussion is, in fact, a portable system, the fact that the battery life, load time, and durability considerations are directly related to the optical drive, and the fact that the statement you were replying to originally concerned these issues, I don't see how the popularity of optical drives in non-portable systems is really relevant. I mean, wow, fan cooling is popular in consoles as well, so maybe the PSP should utilize that feature also?

Oh - I did not read the "battery life" part, sorry.

Anyway, by "popular" I meant "worldwide standard", and the fan analogy has no relation with anything mentioned here.

I'm just saying that it's not a worldwide standard. Just because something makes sense in one device doesn't mean it's the right choice for another device with a different purpose. I'm hoping the drive in the PSP will be reliable, and perhaps it will be since the format is different, but given the problems people have had with the PS2 I'm not too optimistic. Cartridge-based systems, by contrast, rarely ever break. Durability is very important for a handheld, since they get used in all kinds of different environments.

I also think that 1.8G is far too much for a developer to be given. They should be given 2M and a six pack of Jolt. :)

Man those loading times suck. When I am on the go I couldnt bear waiting that long.

I love my tapwave zodiac :D

Back