This DVD will selfdistruct

This is kind of puzzling. Since renting movies isn't a new or innovative way of watching movies, wouldn't people that don't want to buy but watch movies already have a membership at rental places? I mean, I rarely watch movies but I have a blockbuster membership...

Obviously this doesn't combat piracy, unless the pirates are just incredibly lazy...

I guess it's to get those people who don't like renting movies to go ahead and 'buy' these, but how profitable would that be? The price point would have to be very aggressive to compete with movie rental places...

Unless there's a huge market for this stuff (which there isn't - remember divx?) this is just going to be a major catastrophe and bad pr for Disney.

Obviously this doesn't combat piracy, unless the pirates are just incredibly lazy...

This was exactly what I was thinking. If it does anything it helps piracy by reducing the price of the movie to a rental fee.

The technology has potential, but this implementation is just stupid. .... well, no. the technology seems stupid too. At least until I see a better example.

Well, this *IS* renting, but without subscribing and having to return the movie to the video store. Also, the 48 hour time limit will only start running when you open the DVD case, allowing you to decide when to watch it.

The only big bad point with this setup is that it'll produce a good load of pollution. Everytime you "rent" a movie, a DVD goes to waste.

And I believe that CD/DVD discs use a good load of envronment-unfriendly chemicals...

Originally posted by Jurai@May 17, 2003 @ 05:44 PM

this news is so old

Well some people might not have heard it yet.

And just thought I might throw this in there: You're an ass

Originally posted by Gallstaff+May 17, 2003 @ 11:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ May 17, 2003 @ 11:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@May 17, 2003 @ 05:44 PM

this news is so old

Well some people might not have heard it yet.

And just thought I might throw this in there: You're an ass [/b][/quote]

it was news like 6 months ago

and, i know you like it

Most rental places like you to have to turn disc back in so they can charge you late fees if you don't

I'm also getting sick of our throw away society.

First there's disposable dipers

Now we have stuff like Swiffer mop and duster things that you constantly have to throw away and buy replacements.

I'm sure there are other examples, but it's still morning for me
smile.gif

There is of course a chance the discs are bio-degradable....but not a very big one. Of course in addition to the disc itself you also have to trash whatever custom case disney uses for these. Since they have to be air tight until you open it regular dvd cases are out of the question.

Originally posted by racketboy@May 18, 2003 @ 03:55 AM

Yep i feel the same way, but just think if this message board had throw away technology after posting 3 or more stupid or just offensive messages. We would'nt have to read the crap written by Jurai. Does this guy have any constructive critisism to write about anything??

Originally posted by racketboy@May 17, 2003 @ 09:55 AM

Most rental places like you to have to turn disc back in so they can charge you late fees if you don't

First there's disposable dipers

Now we have stuff like Swiffer mop and duster things that you constantly have to throw away and buy replacements.

I'm sure there are other examples, but it's still morning for me
smile.gif

Styrafoam, the plastic shrinkwrapping that you throw away every time you buy something new, those freshness seals on jars and juice cartons, most vacuum bags. Come to think of it, ALL types of wrapping or packaging are just stupid. I like stuff to be packaged, but some packaging is just excessive to the point of nausea, like individually wrapped things inside of boxes. We Americans are really bad about waste.

Originally posted by BooBoo02@May 17, 2003 @ 06:11 AM

Yep i feel the same way, but just think if this message board had throw away technology after posting 3 or more stupid or just offensive messages. We would'nt have to read the crap written by Jurai. Does this guy have any constructive critisism to write about anything??

I think he runs an FTP or something, and feels entitled to post anything he wants. His act is pretty childish, but it's very easy to ignore.

Originally posted by Gaz_2_k@May 19, 2003 @ 01:25 PM

solution....rip the main movie files (or a full disc copy) and re-burn on a blank DVD!

HA! F*** YOU WALT! :biglaugh

I don't think that was the point of doing this.

supposedly Disney is also contemplating doing wireless downloads of movies via a special set top box that you have to buy (both the box and the movies).

Like anyone is going to pay money to have an extra box hoging up HT space just to watch Disney movies.

Them entertainment lawyers will just always stay out of touch with things. They learned nothing from DivX, it appears. (You know which DivX I mean.)

And Gaz... SHAME on you for saying "f*** u walt" <_< the poor man was a GENIUS and as long as he lived, his company made GREAT movies with real innovations and great stories to boot
tongue.gif
and I'm sure he's just turning in his grave now at what has become of Disney Co. today.

Originally posted by Taelon@May 22, 2003 @ 07:57 PM

Them entertainment lawyers will just always stay out of touch with things. They learned nothing from DivX, it appears. (You know which DivX I mean.)

And Gaz... SHAME on you for saying "f*** u walt" <_< the poor man was a GENIUS and as long as he lived, his company made GREAT movies with real innovations and great stories to boot
tongue.gif
and I'm sure he's just turning in his grave now at what has become of Disney Co. today.

Yeah I know about the "original" divx.

Money hungry companies just don't seem to pay attention to stuff like that.

They make themselves think that their idea is way better.

And yes, Walt Disney was way cool. It's idiotic Michael Eisner that turned Disney into a piece of crap

Back