To anyone that can mod saturns...

I am looking to get my saturn modded, but I am not skilled with a solder iron. Can anyone here mod my saturn for me? I prefer to have someone in the Buffalo, NY area do this, but anyone in the US is eligible. I will NOT ship my saturn internationally, only within the US. Please give me a price, or I can trade you for your services. My tradelist is

The suffering Xbox

Manhunt Xbox

Dark Savior Saturn (Cracked Case)

Nights Saturn Unoriginal case, no book

Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA 3pak (Box is a bit beat up)

I have paypal.

Dragon, i would be willing to do so for you as long as you can follow these guidelines:

You pay for both your shipping to me, and the shipping back to you. I am in Arizona USA.

I would not be soldering to the CD Board, but doing mal's method which is much safer. Therefore, you give me permission to make changes to the mod chip (with wires, not to the chip itself)

I am not liable for any damage that might possibly be done to your saturn and/or your mod. I have to say it just in case, but it is very hard to ruin a saturn without soldering to the CD Board (which i wouldn't be doing) and it's not likely i would hurt your mod.

I cannot be held accountable if the mod ever stops working or the satuen somehow stops working or something.

I do not have a very long modding history. I ruined my first saturn with by soldering to the CD Board. since then i have learned tons. I have soldered many things like LED's, resistor's wires, and just recently i got my own mod in my saturn with no trouble at all.

you of course must have a 21-pin saturn.

finally, if the chip turns out to be dead on arrival, i would not charge you anything, but you would still have to pay shipping back to you.

*if you happen to get one of the mods that needs to pbe placed backwards, unless i cna find a way to get it to fit, you'll have to pay me for one of these http://www.xinga.com/shop/show.php?product=SS2005 or have your satuen sent back.

*=guideline revision.

I don't want to be yelled at if something goes wrong. i can tell you, i would more then likely not mess up on modding, but if something happens out of my control, such the mod is dead, i cannot be held responsible. If something messed up that was my fault, i would not make you pay shipping back.i'm sorry i have to lay down some much rules, but it must be said.

If you want to do it, i'll do it for the Dark Savior, provided it is US version. and if you decide you want to do it, contact me thogh PM with whatever question you might have.

Do you know if mods bought from jandaman are pretty reliable? That is where I bought mine. One thing about dark savior is that part of the case is broken. And I have to pay for shipping back me right? How much for that? Also do you have any feedback? What do you mean by 21 pin saturn? Pins on the ribbon cable? I counted them and there are 21. Also I did the little mod trick for the door to do the swap trick, so if you open it and see tape around the little button, you'll know why. Other then that I'll let you do it.

jandaman is where i bought my mod chip. there are a very good store and should be reliable. You mod is probably about 95% or more likely to work.

yes i require you pay shipping, otherwisae not worth it on my part. I just got a saturn for a person which cost him about $10 to ship, so that'll be the price for it.

I do have some feedback. if you look in the good seller/trader forums you'll see hat ratfish says i'm good. and i'm in the process of doing trades with Burning Angel and duo. if you go to ebay.coma nd search for member cjmac87 you'll see i have 100% feedback.

if you have 21 pins on the ribbon then you have a 21 pin saturn. 21 pin saturns also are model 2 saturn which have the round bottons instead of oval. Also, i think all of the JP saturns are 21 pin.

about same day shipping. it might be possible. My mod to my saturn only took about 30 minutes for the whole process. if you want me to test it with some gameplay for a couple hours, it can't be sent the same day, but i can't guaranteed it'll be sent the same day anyway.

i did a small revison to the guildline so have a look.

also, after i am done installing the chip, is it ok to remove the tapefor testing purposes?

and have you already obtained the mod or are you waiting for it in the mail.

"about same day shipping. it might be possible. My mod to my saturn only took about 30 minutes for the whole process. if you want me to test it with some gameplay for a couple hours, it can't be sent the same day, but i can't guaranteed it'll be sent the same day anyway. "

Alright I was just getting an idea of how long it would take.

"also, after i am done installing the chip, is it ok to remove the tapefor testing purposes"

Yes, I wouldn't need to to the swap trick again if it works...

"and have you already obtained the mod or are you waiting for it in the mail."

Jandaman sent it today, so I should get it soon.

"*if you happen to get one of the mods that needs to pbe placed backwards, unless i cna find a way to get it to fit, you'll have to pay me for one of these http://www.xinga.com/shop/show.php?product=SS2005 or have your satuen sent back."

I think the modchip comes with a ribbon cable, but I am not sure.

Originally posted by Dragonlordfrodo@Jun 9, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

"*if you happen to get one of the mods that needs to pbe placed backwards, unless i cna find a way to get it to fit, you'll have to pay me for one of these http://www.xinga.com/shop/show.php?product=SS2005 or have your saturn sent back."

I think the modchip comes with a ribbon cable, but I am not sure.

I think you misinterpeted what i am saying. The mod doesn't come witha ribbon cable. You use the cable already in the saturn.

But, you need a longer cable if you happen to get one of the strange chips that requires you to you to place it backwards. the normal cable won't quite be long enough. Hopefully you won't be unlucky and receive the normal fitting kind. There is no way to tell by looking at the mod if it'll fit normal or backwards, just takes testing, which i will do.

It's the type of Saturn, not the modboard that dictates which way the modboard faces.

It's a Saturn with 64 pin IC that requires the modboard to be installed 'backwards' and the ribbon cable that comes with it is just long enough.

aye mal, i'm guessing he n knows best. that means that one mod chip i have is dead =(

anywyas the 64 pin IC is the little plastic things that are on the CD Board. on the side of them of the tiny pins, which if rhey have 64 of them, you have the 64 pin IC. . Don't worry about it, because mal says the saturns that have those ribbons are long enough.

Using mal's method, which should have been the original way to solder, instead of soldering to the CD board, you take the blue wire, and sodler to point B which is on the mod chip. so there is a tiny blue wire just on the mod, and then the red wire still goes to the same place on the PSU.

for further detail you can go to the saturn forum and take a look at everything they got there in the topic.

Yeah I was looking at the thread mal made. I didn't understand a thing on there, which is weird because I can build computers and stuff. But I have little experience with a solder iron, that I'd probably kill myself with it.

One of these days - hopefully next weekend - I'll put together a pictorial.

I got a digital camera a little while ago. :)

Check out my little guide. I put it together after I successfully modded my own Saturn along with a lot of help from Mal and everyone here. It was only the first or second time I have ever used a soldering iron and I had absolutly no difficulty. If your not sure you can just tape the wires down and then test it to make sure you have everything connected right. Then once it is working, remove the tape and solder them into place.

(I would not recomend tape as a permanent solution)

My Webpage

Back