Top 5 rpg's of all time? ANy system counts !

I'll start

1) Phantasy Star 2- till this day I still have fond memories and compare alot of the rpg's I play to this. It's still magical to me till this day, now fi I only had the hint book I had when I bought the game ....

2) Phantasy Star 4 - I have only played maybe a quarter of this one but it still stands out greatly in my mind.

3) The original Final Fantasy - aww the memories of the last few battles before the end fight, I can still remember looking at the tip book every few seconds lol

4) The original Baldur's Gate on the PC - entire game was magical to me when it was first released until the end in the city, after that game sucked to me, but oh before the city it was just magical !

5) Lunar silver Star Sega cd - No explanation needed. This game just rocked when it was released.

1. Fallout

2. Fallout 2

3. Planescape : Torment

4. Shining Force 2

5. Ambermoon

1)Lunar 2 Eternal Blue - SCD of course. My love goes out to both Lunars, but I don't won't to clutter the list with both Lunars. Anyone who loves two usually does love 1 as well AND due to the immense beauty in Lunar2 (being so much graphically better then 1) I list this the second of the series instead.

2)Phantasy Star - Ok, this is similar to Lunar in that I was latched to 1, 2, and 4 a lot. It is hard to choose between them as they all have there ups and downs... (4 and its short length is somewhat upsetting, but 2 with it's sometimes confusing story that gives you know inkling of what the hell to do) So I just say Phantasy Star... greatest series of RPGs I've played EVER... it only gets number two because Lunar (maybe not the greatest and actually rather generic) just holds me tight with its amazing story telling.

3)Fallout Tactics - Ok, I liked Fallout 1 and 2... but being the all time greatest? no... not really. Now Tactics on the other hand takes the great game Fallout, puts a Tactical twist on it and turns it multi-player. NOW We've got one of the greatest RPGs EVER!

4)Skies of Arcadia - This game was immersive, engaging, explorative, fun, well planned, beautiful, addicting, and never a boring moment. That is hard to pull off in a RPG. BAM got my point!

5)Grandia 2 - Yes... Grandia 2... so many people cry "Linear", "Boring", "Gay!"... I beg to differ. Personally I like linear RPGs, they're RPGs, they have stories, they're going to be linear in some way so I personally pay no attention to it. If the story is great enough I don't even notice that I can't go off free roaming the back hills because I am dieing to hear more of the story. And does this game got a good story!

I'd like to put Shining Force on here... but I don't have the room and well those games their are more memorable then Shining force due to there stories (or memories caused by addictive group games on Fallout Tactics). This games story isn't as strong... yet still strong enough to make the game memorable. So I leave Shining Force 1, 2 and 3 as little side note of great gameplay, but not enough to knock those five off the pillar for me.

1: Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - I just can't put lunar silver star in here, because it is too short and too easy. This sequel is longer, larger, and harder - love it in almost every way

2: Secret of Mana - The best action rpg on the SNES

3: Dark Wizard - Strategy/RPG - Long battles, great game, sega cd.

4: Dragon Warrior 2 - There are a lot of RPGs on the NES, but this one was probably my favorite. It took the original dragon warrior a whole new step further. Instead of having only 1 person to control, you control a whole party of people.

5: Zelda 2: Adventures of Link - I never cared for part 1 or a link to the past. This is the version that paved the way for the n64 and cube versions, but this version is better. Why? because they've taken most of the fighting out of the "new" games and made them puzzle games. When I bought wind waker, I didn't think I was buying Myst.

1/ Ultima 7 - Serpent Isle

2/ Fallout 2

3/ Ultima Underworld

4/ Might & Magic III

5/ Dungeon Master

3)Fallout Tactics - Ok, I liked Fallout 1 and 2... but being the all time greatest? no... not really. Now Tactics on the other hand takes the great game Fallout, puts a Tactical twist on it and turns it multi-player. NOW We've got one of the greatest RPGs EVER!

Tactics better than Fallout 1/2? Ohhhh man.... ah well, at least you didn't say that 'Brotherhood of Steel' was better than FO1/2.

My picks:

Y's (TG-16)

Not only a great game in general (having existing SMS/PC ports at the time) but the conversion to the TG-16 and presentation on a whole was really mindblowing compared to anything else.

Dragon Slayer (TG-16)

A long and challenging RPG with an excellent plot. Good voice acting, tons of replayability, and a *fast* battle system.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSX)

Everything I liked about Persona (which is really different from any other RPGs) with lots of improvements to remedy flaws in the original game. Plus an alternate route and extra dungeon give a lot of incentive to play though again.

Vandal Hearts (PSX)

While the storyline is a bit average, the turn-based battle system is really the highlight of the game. I must have gone through the zombie village scenario 100 times to figure out how to win it without losing a single character. The sequel is hampered by a remarkably dull plot and pacing, despite having superior graphics.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)

Fantastic visuals, fun battles (leveling up is actually not boring, for a change) and an intriguing plot. But damn hard! The two DDS games are very similar to this one (using the same engine more or less) for people that want more of the same.

Shining and the Darkness.

Not a single vote for Chrono Trigger?

Final Fantasy IV

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Sega CD

Shining Force

Phantasy Star IV

Super Mario RPG (go ahead laugh)

1. Phantasy Star IV

2. Chrono Cross

3. Phantasy Star II

4. Final Fantasy IV

5. Parasite Eve (Go ahead, laugh. :p I love the battle system, and the story is great).

Honorable mention:

Super Mario RPG

Brave Fencer Musashi

Grandia II

Shining Force

1. Shining force

how can this not be the best game ever (with the possible exceptions of dungeon keeper 2 and shenmue)? The first time I played it my swordsman died and I lost, so I thought he was meant to stay at the back and not get involved. I got to the colossus with him at level one and needless to say I kinda lost.

2. Shining force 3

completed last week. fantastic really, though a friend of mine said he had played and completed it on a plane. Liar.

3. Baldur's Gate II:Shadows of Amn

who doesn't hate Irenicus?

4. Skies of Arcadia

its got pirates!

5. Sacrifice

assuming it counts as an RPG, it was a cross between an RPG and RTS. I never knew it existed until it came free with a graphics card. It is great fun to play, although the different Gods all play the same.

I also love Planescape Torment but have yet to finish it so I felt it was unfair to include it. I was let down by shining force 2 and the shining force CD as SF2 was badly laid out (I often didn't know where I was going or what to do, in a Zelda way) and you cannot explore on SF CD.

If you include the Lucasarts adventures (I think point + click games were a branch of RPGs. You play a character or a group of characters and solve puzzles with the focus of the game being the dialogue and the story) then Sam + Max is one of the best games ever.

Question: About the friend who completed SF3 on a plane. Even though he might be a liar, did he play the game on a saturn emulator? I'm just curious; is a laptop powerful enough to run a saturn emu at full speed?

He was talking crap. I managed to convince him that he completed the (japanese only) third game gear shining force game. I suspect someone here will help you though, as I do not have a laptop to comment on.

The first time I played it my swordsman died and I lost, so I thought he was meant to stay at the back and not get involved. I got to the colossus with him at level one and needless to say I kinda lost.

Ha, I did the same thing, although I got all the way to Dark Dragon before realizing it was hopeless -- my main character was only level 7 (unpromoted) at the time, and IIRC you need the Chaos Breaker (which can only be wielded by the main char when promoted) to even defeat the final boss -- I think you have to deliver the final blow with it.

Breath of Fire (I loved 1-3, thought 4 was ok, but hated Dragon Quarter)

Tales of Phantasia

Wild Arms

Shenmue

Landstalker

Anachronox has to be one of my favorites. Only problem is that it ends in a cliff-hanger and the Dallas office of Ion Storm was shuttered pretty much right after the game's release so the sequel that was supposed to finish the story was never released.

1. Panzar Dragoon Saga

2. Chrono Trigger

3. Skies of Arcadia

4. Final Fantasy III (6)

5. Lunar 2

Final Fantasy 6

Shining Force CD

Shining Force 3

Landstalker

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Originally posted by it290@Fri, 2005-12-30 @ 08:36 PM

Ha, I did the same thing, although I got all the way to Dark Dragon before realizing it was hopeless -- my main character was only level 7 (unpromoted) at the time, and IIRC you need the Chaos Breaker (which can only be wielded by the main char when promoted) to even defeat the final boss -- I think you have to deliver the final blow with it.

[post=143051]Quoted post[/post]​

YES! I'M NOT ALONE!

And I do not think that you need to deliver the final blow with the chaos-breaker, you just get that new swirly animation. I think I finished it off with magic once, and you can equip the birdmen with the chaos breaker.

Heh. I guess that may be the case. My birdmen weren't anywhere near powerful enough to survive in that battle, though. The rest of my characters were doing pretty good (especially my main man - Gort), but after losing the battle 8 or 9 times I decided to just restart.

Back