Torico

at the top of my PAL front cover of Torico there are the words " gekka mu gen tan" or something and some characters (in kanji i assume) does anyone know what that means? does torico itself have a meaning?

im gonna feel silly if they tell you in the game but i havent completed it have i

Hi!

Torico means Captive or prisoner.

Gekka comes fom gekika which may mean dramatisation or something which goes more and more intense.

Mu means nothing or emptyness

Gen has a lot of meanings including present, rope, really, etc

Tan means (I swear) a spitt.

Of course in case that all of this were Japanese...

I whish I knew what does it mean as a whole. But I´m just a begginer.
blush.gif

Since nobody particularly well-versed in Japanese seems to be stepping forward, I might as well hazard a guess and demand that it may or may not mean something like "Moonlit Unending Grief".

I didn't see that interpretation for "tan" anywhere (perhaps it's slang?). I'm no expert; like I said the only reason I posted was because no actual experts seemed to be paying attention, and I at least happen to have a Kanji dictionary handy. I'm sure I'm being quite pretentious by even attempting a rough translation. :
wink.gif
:

My reasoning went something like this:

gekka = getsu (moon) + ka (down/under) (the "tsu" becomes a consonant doubler in the compound) = "in the moonlight" (cf. "under the moon")

mugen = mu (nothing/without) + gen (end) = infinite/endless (on a rather unrelated topic, this meaning is presumably the inspiration for the name of the famous user-extensible fighting game engine)

tan = grief/suffering (I guess the "spit" meaning might be tangentially related to this)

But without seeing the Kanji, it's really impossible to know for sure what the appropriate interpretation is.

I guess you´re right. I only gave the most literal translation out of the dictionary. If we could see the kanjis, it would be much easier.

Back