Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Thank you so much for your hard work <3

I'm playing the first disc (0.92) on real japanese hardware atm. It runs flawlessly. Since I'm close to the end of the first disc, I plan to burn the 0.94 version of the second one. I don't see any big reason to be afraid but I prefer to ask first: is there a risk of corruption regarding my gamesave if I go from CD1 0.92 to CD2 0.94? And what if, I load that save with the original japanese disc? I didn't dare to try since I don't have any way to make saves backup for now :p Just curious tho.

Saves are completely compatible. You can even load them up in the Japanese version without issue. The only save files that have issues are some from Digital Museum where the map had to be split into two files due to the English script being larger. This doesn't exist with saves made through playing the game though because none of those maps have actual save points in them for you to save in through normal play.

I just patched my original disc 2 with the 0.94 patch and finished to play the first disc (0.92). Even if it's an older build, it's always worth giving u feedbacks. I didn't encounter any single bug. You really did an amazing job. Now let's see the second part :p

(After patching my japanese disc 2, I noticed that the CD-DA track 2 is corrupted when I play it from the Saturn's audio cd player. Anyway it's just a stupid warning message claiming your Audio CD reader is gonna explode blablabla)

Oh. On my patched CD-R it's still the original japanese warning but the track starts at the middle of the sentence with a distorted voice then, the begining of the warning message starts after the end, without distortions but stops in the middle.

Not a big deal, the game seems to run fine anyway.

Probably first post.. Thank you TrekkiesUnite118. Actually imported the (almost perfect) Grandia just to enjoy this - my first Japanese disc I own.
So far everything is working well. Was surprised by the English audio track, was that extracted from another game?

Bought this system new when I was engaged to my first wife. Projects like this have me still enjoy it.

Thanks again sir!

Oh. On my patched CD-R it's still the original japanese warning but the track starts at the middle of the sentence with a distorted voice then, the begining of the warning message starts after the end, without distortions but stops in the middle.

Not a big deal, the game seems to run fine anyway.
So I've spent some time debugging this with KnightOfDragon and it seems to be an issue with patching a CD Image. If you patch the disc directly in your CD-ROM drive, or with an image mounted to a virtual drive the issue doesn't happen. So it seems to be an issue with the patcher at the moment when patching an image file. The patch itself seems to work fine if you patch your disc directly or an image mounted to a virtual drive.

So I've spent some time debugging this with KnightOfDragon and it seems to be an issue with patching a CD Image. If you patch the disc directly in your CD-ROM drive, or with an image mounted to a virtual drive the issue doesn't happen. So it seems to be an issue with the patcher at the moment when patching an image file. The patch itself seems to work fine if you patch your disc directly or an image mounted to a virtual drive.
It's true, I made an image of my disc with ImgBurn before patching the game and I didn't mount it. I didn't even know the patcher could patch a game straight from the CD drive.

ookay another bug report...also going to propose an easier way for you folks to do bug reports:

Patch version used: 0.9.4-RC
Hardware: SEGA Saturn JPN [multi region BIOS]
CDROM drive: Fenrir 21 pin [FW 23/04/2021]
Extra Hardware: 4M+ with PSKai v6.324
Patch process: from original retail copy
PC DVD Drive used: iHAS 624 B
Save file available: no, as I'm using real HW

Location in Game: when talking to the REAL Liete for the first time in Alent
Bug description: The FMV sequence when Liete describes the history of the Icarians plays fine at first
- but at the half way point, the audio turns into an ultra loud distorted hissing noise [video is not corrupted, just audio]

I believe Fenrir can back up saves to the SD card. So please do that and provide the save file. When I try swapping that FMV into Disc 1 as the intro FMV it plays just fine, not sure what's going on with it on real hardware.

This audio bug in the FMV didn't happen to me.
Played through it recently, on a stock US NTSC model 1 saturn, jvc drive, using one of those all in one red cart (backup memory setting engaged) and a CD-R. Patch 0.9.3.

Minor request: is it possible, and how hard would it be, to put the version number of the translation patch on the title screen like on the SF3 patches?

I am loving this... I don't know what it is but I've had the PSX version since release and never played through it all the way, but not that you are making this patch and it's on the Saturn I can't put it down. Thanks for all the hard work.

I have a bug report! I got past the first two dungeons. I got the steamer pass and I'm trying to well, board the steamer, but the guard won't let me in. He just keeps saying "....".

I'm using Retroarch with the Beetle Saturn core, and I have a save file right next to the guard.

I'm using the latest version, 0.95. Also have a save state right next to the guard.

Attachments

• savefiles.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
Back