Ys 1 English Patch

Translating Ys 1 v0.763

Version 0.192 (only for Sega Saturn Patcher v1.95)

Thanks to great help and support by CrawdKenny more locations translated.

Still in early stage of work.

Attachments

• sshot03.png
    sshot03.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 242
  • sshot04.png
    sshot04.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 235
  • sshot05.png
    sshot05.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 232
  • ys1eng_v0192_saturn.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 180
As a big Falcom fan, I would love to see a complete translation of Falcom Classics! The other two games should be much simpler to deal with compared to Ys.

One thing I noticed in the latest screenshots besides the obvious line break issues: The actual name of the tower is Darm Tower. That's how it has been translated in every localization since the Turbografx, and it's named after the main villain of Ys II.

Keep up the good work!

As a big Falcom fan, I would love to see a complete translation of Falcom Classics! The other two games should be much simpler to deal with compared to Ys.
I see. Is it Adol on your user pic? Other two games probably dont need translation as they already fully english in original mode (as i heard), though not checked myself (and i bet, you too).

One thing I noticed in the latest screenshots besides the obvious line break issues: The actual name of the tower is Darm Tower. That's how it has been translated in every localization since the Turbografx, and it's named after the main villain of Ys II.
I will let CrawdKenny know, thank you!

Keep up the good work!
Yes, sir!

you know if you set up a resource on this site this process would be a lot easier. You would have version history without it being attached in random posts.

I finally started a play-through of this translation (Version 0.76). I'm sorry for saying this, but it's very rough. As a fan, it appears to me that very little research or checking was done on the text. Romanization of names is all over the place, there are grammatical errors, factual errors, punctuation errors and bizarre page breaks everywhere, and that's just from playing up to being about to leave Minea.

If I am coming across as harsh, I sincerely apologize. It's only because I want the best for this project.

I made a list of the problems I've encountered so far:

-Main Menu-

1. For some reason, Original Mode is not selectable.

-Minea-

1. Translation Error: Bagyu Badet (as it's translated here) is the name of the crater, not a cave which could be confused with the Rastin Silver Mine.

2. Grammatical Error: The man who tells you of Donis says "He's better not be getting drunk at the bar again!" The sentence should start with "He".

3. Grammatical Error: When talking to Donis, he says "This probably the work of..." There should be a "is" in there to be grammatically correct.

4. Punctuation Error: When buying the Sapphire Ring from Pim, he states, "I'll let you have the pleasure of seeing her face when you give it to her" Without an ellipsis to lead into the next page, it looks really awkward.

5. Inconsistency: Sara refers to the mountain village's name being "Zepic." A random NPC in Minea calls it "Zeptic."

6. Translation Error: The Crystal that Sara gives you is not her Crystal Ball.

7. Punctuation Error: If you try to buy an Herb at the clinic when Dr. Claus is in, there are several pages which break off in the middle of a sentence. It looks awkward without any ellipses.

7. Textbox error: If you try to buy an Herb from the clinic without enough money, the text box, "You don't have enough gold." is broken into two mid-word.

I will continue to play, and let you know if I find anything else. It's honestly not a bad start, but it needs polishing.

I finally started a play-through of this translation (Version 0.76). I'm sorry for saying this, but it's very rough. As a fan, it appears to me that very little research or checking was done on the text. Romanization of names is all over the place, there are grammatical errors, factual errors, punctuation errors and bizarre page breaks everywhere, and that's just from playing up to being about to leave Minea.

If I am coming across as harsh, I sincerely apologize. It's only because I want the best for this project.

I made a list of the problems I've encountered so far:

-Main Menu-

1. For some reason, Original Mode is not selectable.

-Minea-

1. Translation Error: Bagyu Badet (as it's translated here) is the name of the crater, not a cave which could be confused with the Rastin Silver Mine.

2. Grammatical Error: The man who tells you of Donis says "He's better not be getting drunk at the bar again!" The sentence should start with "He".

3. Grammatical Error: When talking to Donis, he says "This probably the work of..." There should be a "is" in there to be grammatically correct.

4. Punctuation Error: When buying the Sapphire Ring from Pim, he states, "I'll let you have the pleasure of seeing her face when you give it to her" Without an ellipsis to lead into the next page, it looks really awkward.

5. Inconsistency: Sara refers to the mountain village's name being "Zepic." A random NPC in Minea calls it "Zeptic."

6. Translation Error: The Crystal that Sara gives you is not her Crystal Ball.

7. Punctuation Error: If you try to buy an Herb at the clinic when Dr. Claus is in, there are several pages which break off in the middle of a sentence. It looks awkward without any ellipses.

7. Textbox error: If you try to buy an Herb from the clinic without enough money, the text box, "You don't have enough gold." is broken into two mid-word.

I will continue to play, and let you know if I find anything else. It's honestly not a bad start, but it needs polishing.

I would recommend reading the first post in this conversation. I am sure Murzik would love more people to join the project, since right now it is only two people, and Murzik is not a native speaker of English or Japanese..

I didn't know that. I would definitely be willing to help out with the project if Murzik wishes. I know Ys 1 pretty well. I don't know Japanese (I would love to learn though), but I am pretty well-versed in English, and would be happy to help out as a consultant/editor.

Back