Truth or fiction?

I think it would definately be a good choise for Sega to release a new console, since the 3 consoles we have now, aren't all that much anymore. We all know that they're like 3 years old and are WAY behind what's technological possible right now. If Sega is going to release or at least anounce the release of a new console, it would probably take about 6-12 months before it's actually released in Japan, and another 3-6 months before it's released in US/Eur, so it would probably take at least a year from now before the console is widely accepted in general gamers' circles. Perfect timing I'd say, since in a year all 3 consoles we have now will be antique, and the market will be ready for a new console.

then a year later everyone else comes out w/ a new more powerful one. The joint-venture w/ the big N would be best IMO.

OMG! This sounds soooooo false, it's not even funny! Who the $#@$ is this website?! Sounds so unreliable, and the editor is high on crack!

the only way I think that Sega may become a console maker again is by cracking the niche market al la Neo Geo, instead of going mainstream.

Originally posted by ddp6678@May 4, 2004 @ 12:46 AM

the only way I think that Sega may become a console maker again is by cracking the niche market al la Neo Geo, instead of going mainstream.

I think the Dreamcast has that stitched up, it just needs more games.

Ya know, everyone's talking about an Atomiswave console, but what would be really sweet is a combo Atomiswave/Dreamcast machine.

Pretty much.. it's actually very close to the DC in specs (moreso than the Naomi), but it uses carts in lieu of CD's.

The only thing that *might* be different between the original Naomi and Atomiswave is that it may have had more main RAM (but identical VRAM and sound RAM). Maybe later I'll look a bit more, I checked system16 but he's done something weird:

"Main Ram : 32 megs

Main Memory : 16 MByte"

Anyway, take an Atomiswave, paint it, throw in a DVD/GD-ROM and you're good to go.

If I'm not mistaken, the Atomiswave actually has less RAM than the Naomi (due to the cartridge format).

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 3, 2004 @ 04:19 PM

There is a positive for it, I suppose, and that is all the Sega titles would be on the sega system. However, don't forget that since the DC lacked third party support, Sega was stretched to the limit to meet the demands of all the genres on its own. We all saw how that failed.

THe dreamcast had over 250 releases in less than 2 years hows that a lack of third party support

Er... not going to happen. Sorry, guys, but a confirmed Sega rep at B3D confirmed Sega has no plans to launch their own console in the short term.... at the very least, not until 2010 ish.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@May 4, 2004 @ 10:00 PM

Er... not going to happen. Sorry, guys, but a confirmed Sega rep at B3D confirmed Sega has no plans to launch their own console in the short term.... at the very least, not until 2010 ish.

great! now we can quit discussing something that wasn't realistic in the first place.

but why would you make one based on Atomisware? It's not that big of a technological leap?

Nope, and I'm sure they won't be making one. But we were talking about the 'hardcore' crowd, and the AW is going to be the successor to the Neo-Geo, so...

Originally posted by Tagrineth@May 5, 2004 @ 08:00 AM

And this confirmation comes from where?

Without something official it carries just as much weight as the item JG posted.

Originally posted by it290@May 4, 2004 @ 07:55 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Atomiswave actually has less RAM than the Naomi (due to the cartridge format).

Standard Naomi uses ROM just like AW, excepting ones equipped with the optional GD-ROM. The Naomi GD-ROM is an add-on used to load a game into cheaper RAM (A DIMM on the GD-ROM add-on) ONCE when the system is powered up. It doesn't work like the Dreamcast, where it loads from GD on demand - that would wear out in an arcade enviroment relatively quickly, and is much slower. So the difference in memory is not because of the presence of the optional GD-ROM. Even if it does have less main RAM, it still has more overall than DC (main 16MB, vram 8, sound 2). Atomiswave is 16/16/8, Naomi is 32/16/8.

The Atomiswave may well see 32MB versions if they ever need it (though they shouldn't, for their types of games), as it would not be hard to add the memory back. They are just cutting costs, looks like. Also, they could probably use GD-ROM add-ons for their larger games or multi-game cabinets instead of using a larger cartridge. Power it up, it loads the game(s) onto an inexpensive RAM stick, and it stays there for fast access all day. But I doubt any of their games will be big enough to need that.

You know, if Sega could fit a Dreamcast with a tad more RAM into something the size of a discman, with a LCD, a DVD drive instead of a GD(CD) one and make it playback DVD movies, MP3s and run around 20 hours on a rechargeable lithium battery and made it fully compatible with DC GD-ROMs, aside from playing it own DVD-based games, they could have a bit of a chance.

But nah, that's not gonna happen.

Back