Turbo Duo Laser Problem

Hey Guys,

I have a busted Turbo Duo. The laser seems to be dying because the system has a hell of a time reading some of my legit games, well, practically all of them. Is there any way to replace the laser or to fix it? Thanks in advance! :thumbs-up:

First off, shame on you for playing "non-legit" games. That is most likely the cause of your Duo's early demise. With burnz, there are more errors in recording and since the Duo is such old hardware it has a hard time reading them.

If it's truly the laser and not the sound circuitry, you can easily swap the CD unit. But you will have to sacrifice another Duo to do so as there is no commercial source for the replacement units anymore.

The Duo doesn't know the difference between "legit" and "non-legit" games. It reads them all the same, so shame on you for suggesting differently. The REAL problem, is just how the Duo is made, which was cheaply. I have 3 of them, that have all quit working for various reasons, so even if you do swap the laser, theres no guarantee something else on it won't die in a few months.

Originally posted by NFERNO@Aug 29, 2004 @ 04:05 PM

The Duo doesn't know the difference between "legit" and "non-legit" games. It reads them all the same, so shame on you for suggesting differently. The REAL problem, is just how the Duo is made, which was cheaply. I have 3 of them, that have all quit working for various reasons, so even if you do swap the laser, theres no guarantee something else on it won't die in a few months.

Hmm, obviously you didn't understand my post.

The legit/non-legit thing was a reference to piracy. Not the Duo knowing any better, but the person knowing better.

And actually, yes, the Duo does have a harder time reading burned CDs. They are made more cheaply and inevitably have errors in the encoding. Remember back about 10-15 years when lots of CD players couldn't read/play CD-Rs? That's exactly the problem here as the Turbo Duo is first generation hardware.

And no, the Turbo Duo was not made cheaply. That would be the Duo-R and Duo-RX. I know because I've opened a bunch of all of them. And you know what? The R and RX seem to last longer. Why? Maybe the japanese owners don't play burned copies. Maybe a lot of it is the location of the sound circuits being different as I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps if you want to debate the pros and cons of Turbo Duo piracy you could start another thread. :)

Nobody's asking about piracy here. He was asking about a Duo problem. I'm sure someone can replace the laser on it, if thats the way you wanna go.

Nobody's talking about piracy?

Sorry, I must have misread D-Lite's posts and especially this bit. :sarcasm:

Originally posted by D-Lite@Sep 2, 2004 @ 02:22 AM

The legit/non-legit thing was a reference to piracy. Not the Duo knowing any better, but the person knowing better.

Originally posted by mal@Sep 5, 2004 @ 09:22 AM

Nobody's talking about piracy?

Sorry, I must have misread D-Lite's posts and especially this bit. :sarcasm:

In fact, the main point of the posts were that CD-Rs are usually part of the problem with the laser. The side point is that CD-Rs are usually used in pirating software.

You know, I usually do buy all my games, but where am I going to find the cash to play something like DraculaX, especially if it won't on my busted duo? I used these copies to see if I can at least play something on my duo. That's why I mentioned that legit copies, like Ys I&II.

If it'll make you guys feel better, my father got me a copy of Radiant Silvergun when he was in Japan. It's "used" but it looks mint to me (sans spine card). I have a great father, but the only reason he got it was that the company sponsoring paid for damn near everything, so he had some extra cash to splurge on his loved ones. So what, now I should ask him to spend another 100-odd dollars for a game that will probably not run on my system?? This is an unorganized response, and I am not trying to be nasty.

Piracy is a nasty thing, and I think everyone who is a gamer has reservations about now especially since the HL2 debacle. But what is one supposed to do when a company doesn't manufacture a great game anymore? Again, things like Abandonware and pirated games seem hand in hand, and intention is dubious. It is a complicated issue, one that both gamers and game manufacturers should take up. I would love to see konami re-release the original DraculaX on the PS2 (or even PSone). It would make sense since the release of the latest PS2 Castlevania game, and extra money for just a straight conversion. And, it would make sense for SoTN fans as well.

I'm sorry for using a nonlegit copy. In fact , the only thing stopping me from copying saturn games is that I have no experience in soldering and don't want to damage one of my favorite systems. :blush: I am aware that there is an emulator for the duo as well (in fact, the copy works on emulator). But I try to be authentic in my experience, and yes, playing a copy nullifies that concept.

This should be a new thread, but what do you guys think of copies and like? Should we have more of a relationship with game companies?

I think all this piracy bashing is ridiculous. Let's get this straight, I'm only against piracy when it effects the software companies directly so that they can't put out more quality products. Piracy is not burning a 15 year old game so that you can experience what everyone's been talking about. I'm sick of all these elitists who think that people who play burnt games are scum. Get over it, not everyone has the $ 150 to buy Dracula X or whatever your fancy is. When the game came out it probably cost about the same as all the other PC Engine games and Konami made a pretty penny just like they have off of all their other Castlevania games. So now that they don't produce the game any more its in short supply and some people started a rumor that it was released in short supply in Japan. I have no proof that it wasn't in short supply except that you can see Dracula X at any given time on ebay. That doesn't seem very rare to me, eventually all this hype will die down and people won't be able to sell the games for as much as they have been. Until then I have no problem with people copying the game because I'm all for people having access to this great game and others like it. The collectors are hoping that Konami doesn't re-release it so the value of their games won't go down. Well, boo-hoo, I like collecting but playing the games will always take priorty over collecting.

Now for the real reason I'm angry, I had a burnt copy of Dracula X but I decided that that wasn't good enough so I started to collect the necessary components to play the game in its original intended form and I got fucked. I should have just gotten a duo but I already had a tg16 so I thought it would be cool to get the cd add on. Well, the first one I bought didn't come with a ac adapter. The second one I bought came with a ac adapter but it broke. I spent way to much to collect this garbage and I've learned my lesson. Emulation is the way to go, I know everyone says its so horrible but that's my 2 cents.

Oh and about the lens, yeah I've heard of people changing them but I've looked around and haven't found any info on how to do it yourself. I guess you'll just have to pay the $ 60 that tzd charges to fix them.

not everyone has the $ 150 to buy Dracula X or whatever your fancy is

Not to mention that typically buying rare games without a hefty airline ticket usually involves decidedly unverifiable sources that could just as easily be selling you a pirate copy (intentionally or unintentionally).

When my father was looking for radiant silvergun, he was with a company guide. He asked the guide about the game. The guide called someone on the his cell phone. A few minutes later he got a reply and he told my dad where he could find the game! :blink:

The company manufactures medical equipment......

Back