TVs, 4:3 or 16:9?

I'm getting a new TV in one week, at the moment I have a 28" Widescreen (16:9) but its going back since we don't rent anymore.

Im considering getting a 28" 4:3 TV, the standard square shape, which would obviously feel bigger than a widescreen...

...I play a lot of 8bit and 16bit games, and then there was hardly any widescreens, I'm thinking for older games and newer games a large standard TV would look nicer?

If I get a Widescreen, I'd think I would only afford a 24", but maybe stretch for a 28".

I'm not bothered about watching movies and such.

Any ideas? :)

Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Nov 6, 2003 @ 08:52 AM

I'm getting a new TV in one week, at the moment I have a 28" Widescreen (16:9) but its going back since we don't rent anymore.

Im considering getting a 28" 4:3 TV, the standard square shape, which would obviously feel bigger than a widescreen...

...I play a lot of 8bit and 16bit games, and then there was hardly any widescreens, I'm thinking for older games and newer games a large standard TV would look nicer?

If I get a Widescreen, I'd think I would only afford a 24", but maybe stretch for a 28".

Any ideas? :)

imo you dont need 16:9 unless your tv supports hi def output, otherwise theres a very limited selection of games that its useful for

Then there's really no good reason to get a widescreen TV. Very few games support it, and it's not really set to become a dominant standard in the forseeable future.

Cool thanks for the replies... I'm also guessing Master System and Genesis games would look better, as in less distortion because of the resolution it is?

One time I went over to my neighbors so I could play my copy of NCAA Football 2003 (I hate the Madden engine yes, but I love this game too much too care), and they had a huge ass wdiescreen TV. Tanner's friend was playing Super Mario All-Stars, and it looked VERY pixelly. Playing NCAA on the PoS2, and setting the setting to 16:9 in the options, the game looked VERY jaggie. If you go with a 4:3 TV, and you got a PoS2, jaggies are not as easy to see. Which is good. When I got my PoS2 a week later, I was glad to be playing it on my 25" 4:3 TV, as opposed to Tanner & Dan's huge widescreen. It looked MUCH better. Go with the 4:3.

Then again, this thing was a 60" Widescreen (looked like it anyway. Give or take a few inches).

Given that you end up paying more for a widescreen TV that actually has less screen real estate, 4:3's are almost a universally better deal. And atari games look a helluva lot better on them as a bonus. Think about it, with a 28" 4:3 tv, any movies you watch in widescreen will be nearly the same size compared to a 24" 16:9.

Back