Ultimate Sega System on Ebay!

People make the mistake of starting auctions really high. If you don't want your item to sell for a low price, put a reserve on it. Bidders like to be able to at least try and get a good deal, and then "bidding wars" ensue, so it's all good in the end.

As a seller, that kind of stuff leaves you really leery. And leaving a reserve price tends to get fewer bids. The basic premise is you need to have a LOT of faith in the ebay community that people will bid.

I started an auction for a rare processor (which incidentally I tried selling here, but turned into a huge flame war) at 50.00 initially with a reserve of $100, and didn't sell. Second time around I started at $10 no reserve, and it sold for $130. Maybe if you sell for a living you do what you have to do, but people such as myself, it's hard to do in practice.

I understand that the TG unit on that is expensive. I have seen that with just the genny unit sell for like $100.

LaserActive unit - $100-250

Mega CD Module - $100

TG-16 Module - $250

Karaoke Module - $300-450 (not in auction but is also available for this unit)

Games - $10-50 each

Those are more or less the price that stuff is worth. If the unit has the remote then that adds a good $50 to the price alone.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Aug 27, 2003 @ 03:58 PM

As a seller, that kind of stuff leaves you really leery. And leaving a reserve price tends to get fewer bids. The basic premise is you need to have a LOT of faith in the ebay community that people will bid.

I started an auction for a rare processor (which incidentally I tried selling here, but turned into a huge flame war) at 50.00 initially with a reserve of $100, and didn't sell. Second time around I started at $10 no reserve, and it sold for $130. Maybe if you sell for a living you do what you have to do, but people such as myself, it's hard to do in practice.

Rare processor? What was it and what made it so rare? Seems weird that a processor would be a rare item.

AMD K6-III+ Processor @ 550Mhz. It's a socket7 processor designed for laptops; very low production by AMD (I haven't actually found any laptops that used it - the compaq presario line used amd chips specifically, but no +'s). Essentially the highest end socket7 processor made. But because of laptops in mind, they run very cool. They can be overclocked reliably to well over 700mhz (Only the Tyan Tiger boards had clk x's over 6 -the rest you had to had raise the fsb by software).

In terms of benchmarks it blew away all PII's and comparable to the lower end PIII's (~550Mhz). Essentially you could take an older eMachine and get a couple more years usefulness out of it, for at *least* a third of the cost. It's considered a rudimentary athlon (had some Athlon instructions).

And man was it fast. I played Max Payne on it at a good 30fps at 1024x768 w/ medium settings, @600mhz. The board was a good 4 1/2 years old at the time. (It's 6 years old now and still running pretty well).

Most recently the processor went on ebay for $220.

It's only that particular one. You can get a decent K6-II+ (smaller cache, not much else of a difference) @ 450 Mhz and oc it to 600Mhz quite easily, and maintain stability, for around 40-50$.

And I was just saying that there was no use for the caps lock key anymore in another site's irc chatroom, and that's my reason why.

Originally posted by IUG@Aug 29, 2003 @ 04:45 AM

And I was just saying that there was no use for the caps lock key anymore in another site's irc chatroom, and that's my reason why.

Say what?

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 27, 2003 @ 08:55 AM

so basically it's just to say you have it.

collectors......

See, most people look at it like 'you can get a brand new PC for xyz' which is true, but what isn't made mention of is purchasing all new peripherals that don't work with legacy stuff (i.e., ISA stuff). That's a whole lot of capital to be dropping on a new system - in my case, I had my 5.25floppy, a scsi scanner, an ISA hand scanner (I don't understand why they don't make those anymore), and a bunch of sound and video peripherals ('kitchen sync' hardware and software - needless to say I sold). Then there's the time committment, and having to use a new OS because they don't make motherboard drivers for Win95 or even *gasp* Windows 3.11 (one of my clients was legally blind, and used voice software that was made ONLY for 3.11 - so upgrading to a new PC for her would have actually cost well over $25,000).

So, for a lot of people, $220 is warranted. And then it leads to 'might as well get the best for the price'. The K6-3+ after all is said and done has 3 caches (!), and you don't have to overclock it to get 550Mhz (OCing with these processors is much trickier, since they run at 2.0v and not the customary 2.3v).

It lasted me quite a while. I eventually built a second legacy PC (and a third and fourth) and upgraded, which is why I sold the processor.

Originally posted by mal+Aug 29, 2003 @ 04:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Aug 29, 2003 @ 04:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-IUG@Aug 29, 2003 @ 04:45 AM

Say what? [/b][/quote]

The caps lock key is worthless. The only people keeping it alive are people selling things at eBay. This auction is a prime example.

The auction wasn't pulled... its just so old that Ebay took it down. This thread was originally started Aug 26, but Ice just resurrected it.

---Ammut

Back