Upload to ss doesn't work

I'm pretty sure my commlink is well connected, I manage to download savegames

and I'm able to see some text dump of the current game.

I try to upload a binary with the package found at segaextreme, I push F6

chose to upload at 06004000 but nothing happend.

By using ssfexe, I fill all the info, push the connect button (it says ; "waiting for saturn")

I switch on the saturn (the data seems to be uploaded), and the saturn freeze at the sega logo screen.

I don't guess what I did wrong.

If you have any hint ... I have no more idea
sad.gif

try waiting till it's in the main menu of the cart you use before initiating the upload.

For me, the upload starts just before the cart menu would otherwise be shown. If I wait until the menu is shown, nothing happens. Also, it seems I have to have a CD in the machine, otherwise it just enters the CD-player when the upload is completed. So I have a surplus Red Hat CD in the drive, initiate the upload, reset the Saturn and the program is uploaded just fine. Sounds slightly bizarre, but it works and that's enough for me.

I'm using an EMS Action Replay 2.01 with the Windows version of SSFEXE and an European Saturn.

By using ssfexe, I fill all the info, push the connect button (it says ; "waiting for saturn")

I switch on the saturn (the data seems to be uploaded), and the saturn freeze at the sega logo screen.

Sounds like a bad program. What is it that you're sending?

Well, I notice that I can't even upload a saved game.

I try The antime trick but it still freeze at the sega logo screen.

I try to upload a binary of mine and one of the sgl sample.

They run fine with an emulator.

I have check the connection ... I begin to think my PAR is sh## !

I return playing for now
wink.gif

Is this about the 4-in-1's pc comms link? I heard that it can upload/download the codelist but thats kidna useless. I never heard anything about it uploading/downloading saved game data, can it? If it can then I am really going to work on getting one.

Yes it is about a 4in1 cartridge (EMS pro action replay plus)

Il can transfert your saved game to your pc harddrive.

I wonder then if you can find saved game over the web ?

So it's like a dexdrive? Where can I get one? We could start our own site for Saturn game saves, maybe even host here on SX?

HELL I still wanna get a Scd save state and brm, along with cue files! But imagine the work it will take to put it ALL together and handle new ones. I mean for me alone it would be alot. If I had help on it and help gathering it I can get it started but still need the host for it all.

it's not like a dexdrive. it's comparable to a PSX gameshark.. problem being, to use it at all, you need to install a comms link card.. which is an ISA card. no newer computer still has ISA slots, so it wouldn't work for alot of people. also, the saturn would need to be close to the PC too for transfering.

Ummm, how new exactly? I have 2 pcs, one was made in 2000 and one was made in 1995. Do you think any of them will have the slot?

The 1995 model should have ISA slots. Just look at the back of your computer, it should be noticably longer than the PCI slots.

Actually check your motherboard manual. Even many newer motherboards come with at least 1 isa slot.

open the case and look at the MB. the medium sized white slots are PCI, the small brown one is AGP, and the large, black slots are ISA. these are always at the bottom end of the board.

about the save game uploading and downloading... people who have the Saturn Net Link can also upload and download game saves via e-mail... I have one of these.. and it comes in pretty handy.. other than that... the netlink is pretty useless... but now I have a PAR 4M Plus... so I have plenty of extra space to store games now.. =
happy.gif
=

Solution for short:

Get a better and shorter cable! The cable you're using is probably too long. I've had the same problem.

The reason: The signal quality used for PAR <-> commslink communication is too low. So it happens that some bits are flipped after upload/download.

To figure out if this is the case, do this:

Take a zip file, upload it to Saturn, then download it again as a new file and check if the file can be extracted without errors. Another possibility for error checking is to use a file comparing function like in WinHEX, a HEX editor.

Another thing:

If the upload and execute with sff.exe freezes the Saturn at the SEGA logo, it's nothing unusual. The bigger the file, the more often this happens.

Now here: after freezing, just hit the upload button of sff.exe again and it starts uploading without having to reset the Saturn. If this fails, reset Saturn and continue the procedure until the program runs on Saturn.

I hope this will help you out,

Rockin'-B

The reason: The signal quality used for PAR <-> commslink communication is too low. So it happens that some bits are flipped after upload/download.

It's little to do with signal quality "used by" the PAR/commslink, and everything to do with the resistance of the cable - as the cable gets longer, the voltage drop increases due to the inherent resistance/impedance of the cable conductors, and the signal is distorted due to the inherent capacitance of the cable. The same problems can potentially happen on just about anything that hooks up to a parallel port, it's just that some have better error handling methods than others. This is why SCSI and IDE have strict cable length limits.

@ExCyber

Seems like you misunderstood me.

If "signal quality" is not the right expression in english for what I mean, then it's exactly what you've written.

And please be so kind: The next time you reply to any of my posts, do it in more friendly way then you did until now.

greets,

Rockin'-B

Seems like you misunderstood me.

Yes, it does seem that way.

If "signal quality" is not the right expression in english for what I mean, then it's exactly what you've written.

The problem wasn't the phrase "signal quality", it's that the way you said it implied that it was a quality problem with the PAR/Commslink hardware rather than a quality problem with the cable.

And please be so kind: The next time you reply to any of my posts, do it in more friendly way then you did until now.

I guess I was a little more verbose than I should have been (I have a bad habit of doing that when it comes to technical issues), but I'm not sure what you see as being unfriendly in my post. I'm sorry if I offended you, but since I don't know what it is that's bothering you, I can't promise that I won't do it again...

It was indeed a problem with the cable.

I have shorten the cable and now it works fine, I manage to upload files .... strange anyway ...

Thanks for the help !

Back