USB Downloading Device for Sega Saturn

Raster said:
Would this also work with the Action Replay for the PSX?

I honestly don't know very much about the Playstation hardware. I didn't think the Playstation even had a cartridge port!

Anyway, I have made an update to the Saturn USB DataLink software. It may be downloaded from GamingEnterprisesInc.com. The new version (V1.0.3) will allow you to save your Saturn's BIOS to your PC harddrive.

I have also began adding some Saturn game-save files which are available for download. I will add more as I get time.

gameofyou1 said:
I honestly don't know very much about the Playstation hardware. I didn't think the Playstation even had a cartridge port!

Of course it did! The parallel port was removed in later versions (SCPH-7002 and below had it... I think...)

ExCyber said:
The SCPH-750x has it as well; AFAIK the SCPH-900x and PSOne are the only ones without it.

Yep, but you can add a port to the 900x with a kit. As for compatibility I believe the basic upload/download commands are be the same, but most Playstation utilities use the expanded Caetla protocol. In particular the Caetla "execute" command uses the Playstation OS to start a real task. I don't know if the Datel execute command will just jump to the specified address as on the Saturn or if it works with Playstation exes.

just curiuos to see if anything had been brewing here lately. thinking about picking one up for the holidays if i run across the extra cash from santa.

scott21 said:
just curiuos to see if anything had been brewing here lately. thinking about picking one up for the holidays if i run across the extra cash from santa.

I had made up a batch, and now they're all sold except one. I am going to try to make time over the holidays to build another bunch up, so I will have some available whenever anyone wants one.

I got mine today. It was easy to get working, and I was able to successfully load my Sporting Clays and Chaos 89 demo.

Cool stuff, maybe I'll work on some new stuff now.

I wonder how hard it would be to use the ram in a 4 in 1 cart as a file system, and simulate CD related calls?

Just a quick fyi.

I have noticed that certain stores are selling brand new ARP cartridges, which no longer have the 25-pin data connector! I have asked NCSX about this and their response was:

"yes we confirm the batch of AR4M that we stock have the port connector on top. The versions that do not have the port are likely clone cartridges from unauthorized manufacturers in China. All of the versions of the AR4M that were manufactured by EMS have the port on top."

So before purchasing an ARP cart, check with the seller to verify if it has the data connector (if you will need to use it).

gameofyou1 said:
The versions that do not have the port are likely clone cartridges from unauthorized manufacturers in China.
That's pretty funny, considering that the EMS carts are themselves unauthorized clones of Datel designs... Datel never made a 4MB AR+RAM cart, but they did do an AR + 1MB version (Action Replay Plus).

I dunno if I want to open it . . . =) The plastic exterior does seem to have a rough port outline (a slightly raised oval section) on the top, but I don't know if that indicates it's real, fake or what!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the kit version of the Saturn USB DataLink is now available. So if you have some soldering skills and want to save a few bucks by building it yourself, you have the option.

I have updated my web page www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com with the new info. :burnout:

Hmmm. I see a lot of the posts have disappeared here.

Anyway, I have made a small speed improvement to the DataLink device (it is now 25% faster for homebrew downloads). Unfortunately though, the firmware must be updated to get this speed improvement.

I have also built up a few more units (with the new firmware) which are available for sale.

If anyone's interested, I can be contacted through the website (http://www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com).

gameofyou1 said:
Anyway, I have made a small speed improvement to the DataLink device (it is now 25% faster for homebrew downloads). Unfortunately though, the firmware must be updated to get this speed improvement.

I had the pleasure to try it out, myself. The speedup is very noticeable and I can confirm that it's exactly 25% faster. Much more useful now, I'm very happy about that speedup.

A dos program from the internet helped me reflashing the microprocessor with the new firmware, using a ISP cable that I built from spare parts. Works like a charm :angel:. I'm now able to update my remaining 5 units that will be offered as a prize in this years Saturn Coding Contest :rock:.

Recently the creator of the Saturn USB DataLink device (gameofyou) and me are cooperating to apply further speedups. There are a couple of options left, I except that another 50% would be possible.

One option I've worked out is compressed data transfer. I've built a replacement Action Replay firmware that's just 4-6kB in size (it would fit in the micro). It implements all commslink memory transfer functions like the original PAR firmware. On top of that, it offers new functions to compress and decompress memory chunks with LZO.

Gameofyou was so kind to supply me the sources of the microprocessor firmware and the pc application. I managed to compile both correctly, which has been a bit tricky since the original compilers are not really available. Today I added support for the new functions to the microprocessor. Next I'll play around modifying the pc app for compressed transfers.

There are at least three other options left, too. The result of this work will be a nice prize for the contestants of the Saturn Coding Contest.

Finally, I've got compressed Game Save dumping to work!

The speedup is impressive when using the Game Save files that are available at gamingenterprisesinc.com . The number of bytes needed to be transfered is reduced from 65536 down to 15778 for example, or to 307 for a freshly formated game save RAM.

Now I'll have to add this capability to all modes of the PC software, as well as to add compressed uploads.

RockinB said:
Finally, I've got compressed Game Save dumping to work!

The speedup is impressive when using the Game Save files that are available at gamingenterprisesinc.com . The number of bytes needed to be transfered is reduced from 65536 down to 15778 for example, or to 307 for a freshly formated game save RAM.

Now I'll have to add this capability to all modes of the PC software, as well as to add compressed uploads.

It looks really promising :) will a part of the new features work on previous usb datalinks ? Also, another new feature would be a way to use filesystem from PC to Saturn, some dev masters here worked on that.

Will last years recipients of the usb datalink be able to send in their usb datalinks to someone and have them upgraded?

Hello guys,

now both the compressed transfer and the new bigger packet size do work for all modes of the PC software. This goes for downloading and uploading game saves, downloading the bios and uploading plus executing homebrew games.

The combined speedup is extreme. I've made some benchmarks comparing the USB DataLink version that's shipped to the last years contestants and my current wip version .

Code:
    What?                      UP/DOWN     V1.04          V1.06 (191+lzo)

-------------------------------------------------------------

SaturnSave_01.dat    UP               11.5s            2.5s

SaturnSave_01.dat    DOWN             11.0s            2.0s

SF3 Sc1 Complete.dat UP               11.7s            1.5s

SF3 Sc1 Complete.dat DOWN             11.5s            1.5s

SF3 Sc2 Complete.dat UP               11.5s            1.5s

SF3 Sc2 Complete.dat DOWN             11.5s            1.5s

TicTacToe (homebrew) UP+EXE           95.0s           36.5s

bios                 DOWN             92.0s           61.0s
vbt said:
It looks really promising :) will a part of the new features work on previous usb datalinks ? Also, another new feature would be a way to use filesystem from PC to Saturn, some dev masters here worked on that.

The only difficulty when upgrading existing USB DataLink devices is to update the microcontroller firmware. The new PC software means no problem and the action replay firmware replacement is supposed to be transparent to the user. Since I'm still evaluating other options for speedup, a minor hardware modification of the device may be needed.

About the filesystem thing: that's a software solution. For now, I've no plans to implement it myself. It'd be handy to have such a software, indeed.

Amon said:
Will last years recipients of the usb datalink be able to send in their usb datalinks to someone and have them upgraded?

I will need to discuss this with Ken Rittenhouse. So far my intention is to offer a free upgrade service. Free in terms of money. Instead I'd like to request a Saturn homebrew release in return. In any case, all contestants of the new coding contest (supposed to begin soon :)) can get the new faaaaster version of the USB DataLink as a prize (still got five units left).

Back