Video Card issue w/ hauppauge 500MCE

lordofduct

Established Member
OK, first off I have Windows MCE 2005, also I bought a single tuner capture card made by powercooler (powercooler T55e PCI-e 1X capture card) when first building it. I recently purchased a Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner to make a total of 3. I know MCE only supports 2, but the third tuner will be utilized outside of MCE.

Anyways, the day I installed the hauppauge card I also installed a bunch of software based on the .NET framework. When I rebooted my computer I received NO video from my video card! Well I though it was an issue with the software I installed and immediately booted into safe mode and did a system restore.

For 2 weeks (most of which I was out of town, so it took me some time) I attempted re-installing the hauppauge card and continually got an "ACCESS DENIED" error and failed install. After some registry hunting and removal of all traces of the first install I got the bitch to install again.

I rebooted my system and... NO FUCKING VIDEO AGAIN!

So it's the hauppauge card conflicting with my damn video card or SOMETHING. What the hell could it be? I can't find anything on the web about it. URGGGGG!

I'm wondering if the conflict is with my Vid Card (GeForce 7950GX2), the powercooler card (which utilizes an ATI chipset), or with the Vid Card drivers supplied by Dell for my 30 inch monitor.

I'm not so savvy with video cards, but I know how you feel. I'd first say that you have a conflict with your cards. Second is you must have a pretty good system to have a 7950GX2. That card is awesome. (Personally I'm pissed that they've seemed to abandon AGP so quickly). Anyway, I find that two's company, three's a crowd - perhaps Nvidia doesn't play nice with other add-on cards.

Have you tried Drivercleaner pro? It's a thorough program that cleans your system of old drivers for your card. It used to be free, but now their latest version is commercial, so try here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Driver-Cleaner-Professional.shtml

It's a slightly older version, but IMO it's all the same prog. I'd uninstall both cards, clean the drivers, then re-install the Nvidia, then the powercooler. If the problem persists, then clean again and Powercooler then the Nvidia. If not again, then I'd say it's one or the other. I hope this helps.

Also, there's a Nvidia fansite called NVNews:

http://www.nvnews.net/

They seem to have a forum, so you could post up there for suggestions.

I should add... I have video all the way until just before I get to the login screen for Windows (basically right after the video card drivers load up).

Hmm... a most vexing problem indeed. Difficult to diagnose anything with no video. ;) ... Personally I would try hooking up an older CRT based monitor if you have one around. I have an old single-sync VGA monitor that only does 640x480@60, however if there is a signal at all it will display something. Handy for testing. With some of the newer screens, especially if they require software like that (which is weird), it can be hard to tell if your card is really sending no signal or just a signal the monitor doesn't like. In the later case, it may be possible to use a dualhead configuration temporarily to force the Dell to display something.

I'll dig out my old CRT... should of thought of that.

Yeah it is weird that you need special software. But there is a good reason. There is NO video controller in the monitor itself. The video card handles everything, this is why it only has a DVI input and nothing else (no analog, RCA, svid, vga... nothing).

Back