Video Out Connection Questions

mtxblau

Mid Boss
Ok, so I have an issue that has me stumped (as usual). Any information on the path of resolution would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Compaq Evo N1015v laptop (which I *love*, so no discussions that it's a Compaq, etc. etc) that has an S-Video output to video. I've used it before, and it works great, outputs 1024x768 fairly clearly, and all that good stuff.

Now, here's the issue. I bought an S-Video to RCA adaptor so that I could use it on items that don't have S-Video capability (VCRs and the like). When I plug in the adaptor (S-Video male, RCA female) and then connect to the output source, the laptop doesn't recognize the S-Video as being 'on' (it's an ATi video card, so in the advanced display panel the tv power button is greyed out). HOWEVER, I usually get around this by first connecting it to an S-Video capable item so that the Ati button turns 'on', then I plug in the adapter, connect it to the RCA source as stated above and hit apply, and it works.

Is there a way to get around this, or anyone experience anything of this sort? Any ideas why the video card wouldn't recognize it? I tried using the the FN+F4 key combo and the screen blanks out for a second, and then comes back up, so for some reason the hardware simply doesn't recognize the connection as being good (even though it does work with the workaround).

I want to set it up so that I can use GPS on an LCD in my car, mounted to my dash, rather than turn my head every couple seconds (I don't want to be one of those drivers).

Again, many thanks in advance.

EDIT: for clarity's sake, this is the exact type of adaptor I'm using.

Do you have the device powered on that you're sending the video out to before you turn the machine on? I've found that makes a difference on my ATi card. If that's not the issue, I'd start looking for some software to force the TV-out to turn on. I know the Linux drivers will turn it on if you tell it to be on, regardless of there being an actual connection. Perhaps there is some tweak-type utility that allows this for Windows.

I think the most likely problem is that the adapter is not providing all ground connections on the S-Video plug, and the card uses one of the ground pins to sense when the cable is connected. If you have a multimeter, check to see whether or not both pins nearest the keying notch (the part that mates with the little plastic block in the cable) are connected to the outer shield.

Maybe it is because your s-video to rca adapter is only 4-pin? I think all ATI and new GF4 cards have a 7-pin s-video out (but you can use 4-pin s-video cables) and older cards have a 4-pin s-video out. I don't know the difference between 4 and 7-pin, does anyone know?

I have a ton of 7-pin s-video to rca adaptors, maybe we could trade... it would probably cost $1.50 in shipping. I've tested it on a Radeon 9000, GF4 Ti4200, and a Kyro2. Only the Kyro2 didn't work with the adaptor.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mar 14, 2004 @ 09:38 PM

I think the most likely problem is that the adapter is not providing all ground connections on the S-Video plug, and the card uses one of the ground pins to sense when the cable is connected. If you have a multimeter, check to see whether or not both pins nearest the keying notch (the part that mates with the little plastic block in the cable) are connected to the outer shield.

And if not, should I hack the cable and fix it? When you say the outer shield, do you mean on the RCA end or the S-Video end?

---

Unfortunately, my card is only four pin. I think seven pin is for sound (at least for Dells). Wish I could trade though...

Speaking of which, this cable does work the Dell S-Video output on a 600m w/o issues. Maybe I should just find a way to force it. Gah.

I don't think any hacking up of cables will be needed. Looks like its a capacitance issue, and you may need to grab Omega drivers as well - just take a look at this.

Those drivers definetely do not work with the IGP 320M chipset by ATi. Most likely because shared RAM. It caused an IRQL error, and continually rebooted. Easy enough to fix, but that's not the solution. Thanks for the link, though. I may try it with my desktop Radeon card.

I may just buy another adapter that have those guarantees of working. Worth a shot, I suppose, though I hate to spend more money on this jaunt.

Back