• Rise from your gwave!

Wanna do a SMS emulator?

Discussion in 'Saturn Dev' started by TakaIsSilly, Dec 17, 2001.

1. TakaIsSilly

TakaIsSilly New Member

I've been looking for allegro based emulators (for a idea I had), and I found out that this SMS emu has a big chance to be ported to Saturn. It's fully in C, the source seems quite simple, and you can get some ideas from the PSX port he did. I felt tempted to start it, but i hardly have time for it, and I figured someone might want to have some fun, after the success with Denis Phoenix emulator.

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/emul.htm#sms

2. Denis

Denis New Member

I looked into GB emulation :)

Now i have somewhat fully running GB core on saturn, but can't do GFX decoding/output :(

If interested - im ready to receive help :)

3. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

Right now I'm thinking of going for something slightly more ambitious than SMS or GB, but I'd rather not go into it since it might never happen - I've already determined that a full-speed interpretive core for it might be impossible just due to the pipeline flushes from jumping to instruction implementations...

4. slinga

slinga Member

I'm going to port Nester to saturn. Give 4-5 years or so...Actually this seems to be a very duable project considering that it was ported to DC and all. I *believe* that the core, Nofrendo, was based on C. Oh well I'm going to go learn C...Another thing, why is it that we can't use C++ on saturn? I'm guessing because its more resourse intensive then regular C.

5. TakaIsSilly

TakaIsSilly New Member

Denis : if you want help, send me the code to takashi@mail.pt. I'll look for a nice way to put GFX.

ExCyber Yeah... BTW I've been looking at the mixed SH2/C output of Marat's Z80.o, and I can't see myself optimizing more those expressions, taking the Push/Pop ones that seems slightly big.

Slinga : C++ is a load of extra expressions that you really shouldn't use, except for clarity of code. C is simpler, close to the machine and universal.