Well, I'm getting a Mac

Well, I'm getting a Mac

Well, after so many years as a diehard PC Gamer, I'm now going to get a mac. Why? Because as a PC Gamer, I would be well aware of how much horsepower I would miss with a cheap laptop, so I finally decided to plunge into the Wild Wild World of Apple. I'm getting a 12 inch powerbook, 1.5ghz G4, 768 RAM. It'll be small, light, and do internet, word processing, some other "things" the Mac can do. Since macs aren't exactly known for their gaming prowess, I won't be hurting there. Oh, it also has a superdrive.

So now I'll be entering the byzantine kingdom of Mac OS, that hip operating system used by neophytes and professionals everywhere. Being a filmmaker, I'm well aware of the Mac's graphic, video, and audio editing capabilities (hey, now I'll be able to tinker with Pro Tools....). But the whole one-click, that'll take time.

As far as games are concerned, I'm not looking to run Doom 3 on this thing, in fact with only a geforce 5200 go I think any real-time 3D processing would give the mac a heart attack. But I am wondering where the heck I can find good mac games on the internet. I know Aspyr specializes in Mac ports, and I'm ahead of all of you when it comes to Bungie and Marathon, but what else is there? Is Diablo II any good for the Mac?

Also, is there a decent freeware PC emulator for the mac? I'm only looking to run small PC progs on the MAC, something like running KXPloit on the MAC to get homebrew apps on my PSP (is it available in MAC form?).

Finally, what are some good sites to get apps, games, and other mac info overall? I'm a stranger in a strange land here.

Thanks for your help!

Well, I'm getting a Mac

The current PowerBooks are way underpowered for the price. The one you're looking at is only slightly faster than the $600 Mini, but costs over a $1000 more. It's not a very good value proposition in my mind, but to each his own.

There's a decent version of Oni for the Mac, though I have no idea where you'd find it now.

Versiontracker is good for finding Mac freeware/shareware/demoware

Well, I'm getting a Mac

I don't need to play stuff like doom 3. I'd be happy to play some good role playing games, or action-rpgs like Diablo. Is there a mac port of Sacred yet? Also I like good old fashioned graphic adventures a la Grim Fandango, but I own most of those on PC so it would be a waste to re buy them for mac. What titles are good for the mac?

Well, I'm getting a Mac

Hmm, if you own the old lucasarts adventures and some others, I recommend using ScummVM to make them work just fine on the mac (your pc versions), it also works on windows xp and linux. I personally have all of the old lucasarts games like Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max on my mac (using my pc versions and scummvm). There is plenty of action-rpgs like Diablo (including Diablo), and Baldurs Gate. I also get a kick out of older games so I use the Duke Nukem 3D OSX port, that uses any version of duke nukem to run (I use the dos version of Atomic Edition). Then I also have Age of Myth and Warcraft 3 which both run fine on my older iBook (G3 933MHz).

Well, I'm getting a Mac

Don't forget Quake 3 for the Mac. Still an excellent game for online play... if you already have the PC version, you can just copy the base files from that and then download the latest Mac patch. And buy a three-button mini mouse with scrollwheel while you're at it. The OS will fully take advantage of it.

Fallout 1 and 2 for the Mac are great as well.

Well, I'm getting a Mac

Well, sounds like I'll have plenty to occupy myself on my new little mac. Thanks for the tips!

BTW, are there any good mac gaming websites?

Well, I'm getting a Mac

Originally posted by tsumake@Wed, 2005-07-13 @ 12:13 PM

Well, sounds like I'll have plenty to occupy myself on my new little mac. Thanks for the tips!

BTW, are there any good mac gaming websites?

[post=136686]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, as Supergrom just said, Inside Mac Games is pretty much the site for mac gaming news.

Also, stick in any Blizzard game you own and it should pop up the mac version for ya, Blizzard is cool like that.Mac Game Files is the main place to get Mac Games updates/patches/demos and such.

Back