What are the Best PC motherboards?

Hi,

My faithful Asus CUSL2-C just went up in smoke, litterally. As i am typing this all i can smell is burnt plastic :yum

I have been looking at getting a new mobo and processor. But i havent decided on what yet. I use an ASUS P4P800E Deluxe in my uni computer which i am happy with, but im not sure what has come out since that is as good or better.

Here is what i need.

Prefferably a mobo with no onboard sound or video,

Something that is affordable

A board that has LAN, Firewire, USB 2

Lots'o'PCI slots

Prefferably can handle a crap load of hard drives

Doesn't matter if AMD or Intel, but i would like to know what people think about all the new processors too.

Cheers

Abit is the best you can buy right now. Trust me, I go through over 100 motherboards a year and they are the most stable/powerfull around.

I'd go for an Athlon 64. They're cheap and smokin' fast. The firewire port may be easier to get on a seperate card (either dedicated or a sound card), as it's not exceedingly common on motherboards. Many do have it, though.

Drenholm, I fix pc's and build pc's for a living. The motherboards are not necessaraly for me :)

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Fri, 2005-02-25 @ 08:07 PM

Drenholm, I fix pc's and build pc's for a living. The motherboards are not necessaraly for me :)
[post=130502]Quoted post[/post]​

Heh, yeah, I know. I wasn't quite thinking then! If only you knew how stupid I feel... :blush:

Still - you'll definitely know your stuff! :)

Edit: rewording

Huh, that's good to hear about abit. I used to be a big abit fan, but I've heard some of their newer motherboards have some issues.

I personally recomend Abit, ASUS, and depending on what board it is, sometimes MSI. Stay as far away from soyo as possible.

I run an MSI, but that's mostly because they have the best motherboard for what I wanted to do with my pc.

If the few people I've heard from lately about abit's being bad just got unlucky and got a bad board, then by all means get an abit. I've owned several abit boards over the past several years and I must say, I've always been very pleased.

Back