What are you listening to?

Gorillaz - Kids With Guns

... now I must say, I just recently started to listen to them. I did hear the single back in 2001 "Clint Eastwood" but never bothered listening to their whole album. I was just getting big into industrial at the time so I wasn't swayed easily. Now I have progressed into a conglomorate electro-funk-rock mix kinda sound and I hunt out strange music of this matter. In my travels I began by coming across MSI, Daft, Bloodhound (yes large range there, the glue is the electro funk sound) and from there swallowed everything whole. I stopped when I FINALLY (as they had been around a long time) hear "Cibo Matto". I fell in love immediately with Miho Hatori, her funky lil' jap girl rap is soooo cute (not love like I think she's hot, I just like her singing a lot). So I was more then thrilled to learn she actually has a little to do with Gorillaz! Which reminds me, I have to get that freakin' Yuka solo album. But eh, I just bought the new Daft album, so thats gonna have to wait... yeah, I sparsely buy my albums (unlike when I was in highschool, I bought 5-10 a week back then) because when I get a new album I have to listen to it a lot and just absord it all over and over and get my impression made before moving on. Then I take my fav songs off the CD and toss them into my playlist!

This jump out of Industrial and 80's music and through this what I will call "electro funk" (as it is several genres, just the funk holding them together for me as I can't just choose a genre except industrial) has allowed me to reach as far as getting into some things not of me... like who would expect me to listen to OutKast.

Over the years I have traveled between many different genres... I will have a preference in sound for a period of time but it usually doesn't stay long and I move to another. (what always holds though is something electonic or mechanical sounding in it) May it be rock, metal, pop, rap (well kinda, this ones hard for me, Outkast, Snoop, Cypress), anything... I don't understand these cats who only listen to one kind of music... like Metal heads.

And I definately don't understand people who pick on the red necks around my parts for listening to rap. Atleast they are trying to spread their horizons.

Hey Lord, if you like that whole thing, definitely check out lcd soundsystem. I listen to a fair amount of electroclash type stuff (less now, but still a fair amount), so I could name off some good groups in that category too, but lcd soundsystem has more of the funk/disco type thing going on with some good irony thrown in the mix. Actually the whole DFA label is pretty decent, IMO.

I haven't been listening to music at all lately, but those obscure bands that lordofduct finds are great, I always make sure to make a note of what he is listening to because we seem to have the same taste in music.

However right now I am listening to:

Nightwish - Oceanborn

MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE - Kick the bucket YO!

I am so excited, going to New York on Friday to see them in concert and go sight seeing YO!

ope ope now it's "Kill the Rock" wait, I don't like this song I think I'll listen to "Girls from Seven Eleven stay up all night"

I love that song! WhiteSnake showed me the cover by shatner... it was rather good actually.

I lost my copy of that album though (the Pulp one, not shatner), very pissed about that!

-------------

Doubting Thomas - That Problem Child

Just finished the ingenius song "Frank Sinatra" by Miss Kitten; the hacker... with lines like "Suck my dick, lick my ass, in limousines we have sex" you just can't go wrong!

Now I am listening to:

TomCraft - Overdose

Again pure freakin' GENIUS!

If you are into 80's and early 90's synth pop then I've got a soundtrack for you! (this being the genre I listen to most, that and industrial...)

The movie for this soundtrack is it hit or miss for most people... personally I hate the movie. But the soundtrack is great, been listening to it for 3 days now and can't stop.

Party Monster Soundtrack, CHECK IT OUT!

[EDIT] I think I'm a goth kid inside that just hates all that makeup and black clothes. Yeah I am the AMAZING TECHNICOLOR GOTH!

Originally posted by lordofduct@Mon, 2005-08-01 @ 03:31 AM

If you are into 80's and early 90's synth pop then I've got a soundtrack for you! (this being the genre I listen to most, that and industrial...)

The movie for this soundtrack is it hit or miss for most people... personally I hate the movie. But the soundtrack is great, been listening to it for 3 days now and can't stop.

Party Monster Soundtrack, CHECK IT OUT!

[EDIT] I think I'm a goth kid inside that just hates all that makeup and black clothes. Yeah I am the AMAZING TECHNICOLOR GOTH!

[post=137697]Quoted post[/post]​

I have no money, I can't afford any new music, hopefully I'll remember to check that out later. As for the last part, I know exactly what you mean, also I keep telling people Skinny Puppy is not a Goth band, but they keep saying it is, it's not damn it. I hate the goth thing and I hate vampires even more.

Back