What do you do?

Quote: from FLEABttn on 8:12 pm on Mar. 8, 2002

Another quick question/comment. TV isn't as big in Mexico as it is in the USA, correct?

I can answer that since it is my market (both of them)

It is different. There are about 800-1000 Tv Stations in Mexico. Th ething i sthere are only 2 big chains. Televisa and TV-Azteca (aside from cable/atellite TV companies, I am just talking "free" TV)

But, there are a bunch of local TV stations that repeat the signal and "localize" the content (Adds, news, promtionals, etc)

So as you can see it is a big market, but nobody (Except the people inside) know about it. If you go and ask someone on the street, they will tell you there are only a few channels and 2 big companies, they wouldn't know of the other 998...

On teh cable side, there is PCTV, a company that distributes the signal from US channels and some local to the full republic. And Cablevision, owned by televisa, that distributes the signal in Mexico City.

From there on several stations branch localy as local cable companies...

Artemio Urbina, is'nt there also a big difference in the style of show that one would see in Mexico city, which to me has always had a more cosmopolitan/eurpean feel, and one that you would see in the northern states, closer to the US borber, which is more of a cowboy/country feel to it? If I remeber, Camera Infragante was produced by a station in the northern part of Mexico and had really bad production values.

im a senior (w00t!!) in hs

i do odd jobs here and there, although my after-school time is dedicated to turoring (for free) kids unable to hire "real" tutors (i.e. college students). i want to start working part time at target because that;s where i get all my things. target is like walmart for me.

other than that, part time modeling stuff...erm never mind

and btw, do u ppl watch mun2 (the channel)? they have really cool stuff on sometimes (and i can actually understand some!). we have four (or are there more?) full-time non-cable spanish channels in houston now.

Quote: from falstaff on 9:56 am on Mar. 9, 2002

Artemio Urbina, is'nt there also a big difference in the style of show that one would see in Mexico city, which to me has always had a more cosmopolitan/eurpean feel, and one that you would see in the northern states, closer to the US borber, which is more of a cowboy/country feel to it? If I remeber, Camera Infragante was produced by a station in the northern part of Mexico and had really bad production values.

It is partly true, Although most of the content is produced here, in contrast to the US model. Only a few local programs are produced localy, and yes, those have lousy productions.. although there are soe exceptions in the biggest tv stations on the north (like the one in Tijuana).

It's kind of wierd because 50 years ago Mexico put out some extremely high quality programing, especially the movies they used to make. As good if not better than what hollywood was making in many cases. (I love the cantinflas comedies!) Now it's their ability to make high quality novelas that they are known for. They have the talent but I'm betting it may be a funding issue. Just like here in the states, why invest in chancey but quality films and programing, when it's easier and cheaper to put out formulaic shows that have a higher chance of turning a profit. Note hollywoods tendancy to do remakes of classics from years past, rather than new imaginative works. All in all though I do find much of the programing on spanish channels just plainly more fun to watch.

ooga! ooga! is a brazilian novela tha was badly dubbed into spanish from portuguese IN brazil. It's a comedy, or supposed to be, by the way.

Where´s uga uga being aired? Can´t believe that piece of crap could actualy leave here (Brazil) ahhahah

Novelas has the power to suck your parents mind into total oblivion and dumbdom

Quote: from Draconar on 10:20 pm on Mar. 9, 2002

Where´s uga uga being aired? Can´t believe that piece of crap could actualy leave here (Brazil) ahhahah

Well, I can see it here in California on Telemundo or Univision (I can't remeber which).

Ahh "Novvelas" have taken a pretty bad formula, I never watch them, but sometime I have seen a couple of episodes from a production enterprise called "Argos", which made some innovation in the matter (not everyone completely evil/good).

I dunno about the current situation.

ABout movies, yes, very BAD material was made here from 1970-1990, although with some very good exceptions. Good thing is that from 1990 movies have been a lot better.

ABout the TV content, everything is bad here anyeway =) (I never watch TV, I just use it to hook the consoles or my PC)

I am President/Technician/Secretary of LiteSpeed Computers. One helluva fun job, meet new people everyday, drive out all over the surrounding counties (I love driving), and I am my own boss. :)

The only drawback to it is that it is ALOT of responsibility. Makes you grow up REALLY fast and doesnt give you much personal time.

Oh yeah. I forgot about galavision.

Quote: from Artemio Urbina on 1:04 pm on Mar. 10, 2002

ABout the TV content, everything is bad here anyeway =) (I never watch TV, I just use it to hook the consoles or my PC)

Well, I didn't want to come out and say it, but since you said it first, yes, TV from Mexico/South America/Central America just plain sucks.

At least you guys have ¡Oyé Arnold!

Dubbed with voice overs. My wife is addicted to novelas. Most are kinda dumb, some are funny (Pedro Escamoso-a colombian novela). Lots of eye candy though.

Back