What does everyone think...

I was considering buying this set on eBay, but it looks like it was already snagged by someone. What does everyone think of the price? It seems reasonable to me, but I don't know much about pricing for Neo Geo systems... The input will give me an idea of pricing if another set happens to pop up.

Neo Geo eBay auction

couple things wrong here, number 1 Never buy anything that expensive from someone with 0 feedback, number 2 no picture of what hes selling equalls no sale....dont buy from anyone that has no pic up, who knows what hes really selling...number 3 if he is selling metal slug 3 with it add 300 bucks no matter what, for that is how much ms3 is worth, the system alone is worth approx 200 bucks and the other games you can get about 40 bucks each...notice he claims the system is an AES but he says nothing about the games being aes which means they could be MVS which is cheaper by FAR!!! this seller is either not a good one, or is trying to screw someone over....

Since we're on the topic, where can I find a good site for NG related shit? What about an MVS converter for the AES system? What do they cost and where can one be found... If I ever can get my hands on a Neo Geo system, I like the idea of paying only $10 - $30 for an MVS version of a $50 - $300 AES game. Sure it's missing the cool little label and full color case and manual, but hey... that's a great deal for MVS games... any reason why they'd be so cheap?

theyre that cheap cause there made in high quantities, I got my USA Version of Blazing Star on MVS brand new for $40, check out this japan home cart of it HERE ON eBay

I got my MVS-AES Converter for neo geo HERE and its called the Phantom-1.

The Phantom-1 is quite overpriced for what it is (though perhaps not for what it does) - list price is around $300US; for reference, that's more expensive than a 6-slot MVS motherboard. It's also known to have problems if your cart slot doesn't grab it tight enough - this is a somewhat common and very well-known problem among users of the converter, though everyone seems to blame SNK for it even when their "faulty cart slots" seem to present no problem playing AES carts. You cart slots can be replaced by one of the Neo tech guys out there if you end up with this problem.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a Phantom-1; a lot of people are very happy with it and it seems to play all MVS games. Just know that it's not a route that will be cheaper in the short term by any stretch of the imagination.

ExCyber, the question is, what if you do not have a cabinet for a 6 Slot motherboard? Is it possible to hook it directly to controllers, power source, and display (TV, computer monitor, etc.) without alot of rewiring? That would seem like the best alternative if you have the MVS cabinet, but I do not.

ExCyber, the question is, what if you do not have a cabinet for a 6 Slot motherboard? Is it possible to hook it directly to controllers, power source, and display (TV, computer monitor, etc.) without alot of rewiring? That would seem like the best alternative if you have the MVS cabinet, but I do not.

It was merely for comparison; I wasn't suggesting a 6-slot board as an alternative. However, it is worth noting that you don't actually need a full-size arcade cabinet to house an MVS system, just a box that handles routing all the signals (a so-called "Super Gun" or, more generically "JAMMA box"). Commercial prebuilt JAMMA boxes are too expensive (pretty much in the same league as buying a full cab) to really suggest as an alternative unless you're interested in other arcade games, though. I just thought I'd give you a general idea of how you were stacking up against the arcade side of things in case you had assumed that it was too expensive to be an option. If you're not interested in that, I'm not going to try to convince you to do something that you don't want to do.

BTW, I've heard that the new Phantom-1 boards are thicker (avoiding the cart slot compatibility problems).

the phantom-1 would work perfectly all the time if they had casings on them so you cant move them back and fourth when they are in the machine, and well, I think they are well worth the 300 bucks, I bought mine brand new when they first started making them for 420 bucks and its worked great until one day my system fell over (someone pulled on the cords too hard) and it was on my vcr way up high in my entertainment center and, well, when it fell it landed on top side crushing the converter to sh!t!! the prongs that you connect the cart into split apart and the converter became worthless, yet the MVS cartridge still remains intact and works perfectly in my mvs cabnet.... so I took the Phantom-1 apart to see what makes it better than the other converters out there (dammed locked screwes made it difficult, not to mention all the black crap all over the chip inside) and , its definatyley better made than all of the others, it houses the main huge chip that all the newer protected titles carry to do the work instead of a regular long crappy chip. so all in all its a better converter and worth the money, now if we could get them to put a AES shell on them for easy fitting!! I would buy another if they did that....

Back